Rear hub inner bearing failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
The back left rear inner hub bearing completely exploded. I have fasteddy bearings to install.

But I cant get the red axle thingy out of the hub. I stripped out the hex head inside it cuz it was stuck and now I cant get it out. I cannot move the pin that is in the side of the red hex axle either.

Tap the pin out with a fine awl. It can be done. You are not the first with this issue. It is normal to deal with blown out bearings and all. If it is bricked, hack saw or Dremel cut off the whole Hex and replace all that is damaged.

Take apart the hub until it is completely in your hand. Place it in a vice and tap the pin out. If no vice I have used a socket a time or two on the ground. It will come out..... those set screws have tons of loctite on them... be sure next time to use heat and a good hex wrench. Any questions feel free to ask.

Ok so you are talking about the set screw inside the red axle? I stripped it out completely. Hex heads spin in it.

Can I get this thing apart by tapping the pin out? Or does the set screw have to come out before the pin can.

At this point the set screw is completely stripped so I think I just need new axles and new hub assemblies
I have a vice and tried tapping it out and it wont move

Tap the pin.... it takes some force but it will move. Try to use an awl... something narrow. You don't want to mushroom the pin or you wont get it out
Fyi when you do get to the point of reassembly. I would opt out of using loctite. That pin will only come out it the wheel is off. I check check them every so often.

@Clubin is right do what he said. just pound the pin out. If you cant. Drill out that set screw. The hex hub is bricked anyway and needs to be replaced. But the broken one has to come out first. Jenny's RC has them fairly cheap.
Quality Hex drivers are important. And, Arrma uses red Thread Locker there so next time heat up the whole hub well, by using a heat gun, before you attempt to remove the set screw using a known good hex driver next time. FYI, that area gets full of dirt and mud and contributes to stripping the set screw. I went with HR closed capped 17mm wheel nuts for that reason. Dirt is not a problem now. The set screw doesn't need to be that tight because it merely pushes against the pin. And the pin is captured by the wheel hex anyway and wont go anywhere. So snug is just fine. From the factory they are so tight and the pins sometimes are even bent from the overtightened set screw.

Last edited:
I had the same issue, heat with a soldering iron will soften the loctite, for the one I stripped, I had to drill it out very carefully as to not damage the threads.

I just didnt even mess with the set screw, it came apart after banging that pin out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back