Granite Rear Shock leaking - how to fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4nd0m

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
After taking pictures of my scrubbing shocks on my Kraton, I noticed a minor puddle under my Granite 4x4 - felt oily - took the model up - rear shock seems to leak - is there anything to do about it? its 3 packs old and hasn't even seen the field yet just the car park ...

is there a known issue with these potentially? I see people replacing them

Huge issue. I've read some leaking in the box, new. Sucks.

Disassemble shock. In bottom cartridge there are 2 o-rings with a spacer in between. Remove that spacer and add 3 more o-rings instead. Use a lot of o-ring lubricant. Refill shock and reassemble. Won't leak again unless the cartidge/shock body has a crack, or the cartridge's large thread o-ring is broken.

You can also spend ~$20 and get the HR aluminum shock bodies. Those haven't leaked on me whatsoever and you get to use all your stock Arrma shock parts.

Good luck.

This issue usually is the o ring. It’s harder and not very... rubbery for lack of a better word.

I rebuilt mine with cheap rebuild kits from arrma which had a much more pliable o ring.

But you can also just replace them right from the get go with about $25 worth of eBay aluminum shocks. I found the link here actually when I ordered mine. And they’ve never leaked. I just can’t seem to find the link.

I am new here but in crawler forums lots of people including myself use green slime on the o-rings and it usually stops the leaking. Worked great on axial shocks as they leaked bad.

On these faster, harder hitting machines it might work as well, when I first got my senton I took the shocks apart and used it on the o-rings and haven't leaked yet. I only had my senton and granite a couple weeks but ran many packs through them. The granite's are leaking a little, have not done them yet but the sentons are not.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...MImqPGobO95gIVgYCfCh03lwD_EAQYASABEgLsevD_BwE

I got a rebuild kit locally and green slime - cheap test - if that doesn't work I hope the shocks are still available on Jenny when I depart in 3 weeks to the US so could have them shipped locally to me then.

My senton leaked stock, rebuilded with TRF oring a sone grease never leaked again.
The stock shocks work great now.

just out of interest does that mean that the stock Typhoon 6S shocks are also compatible?
The stock Typhon shocks and springs work great on the 3s line, I have even used them with great success on the 4s line. Some will say the springs are too stiff but I have not experienced that. I believe they should have come from factory like this, but then they wouldnt have been so cheap.
One thing to know when you do upgrade isyou have to make one little hack to make it work great. The eyelet hole at the top of the shock looks like this O when it should look like this o. So you have to use some nitro fuel like and cut a little peice to put in that top eyelet so the shock doesn't have sloppy play in it. Everyone does it, its a great fix. you put the screw in like normal and the screw goes right through the nitro fuel line and out the other side.

Great video, thanks,

Since mine were new I just slid the o-rings down while still on the shaft and packed it with slime, half probably squeezed out, and snapped the cap back on holding some slime. I did not pour out the oil but topped off with 50 weight, my other choices were 80wt and 100wt, great for crawlers but probably bricks for these. I did not try the "using my own blood" seal trick though.

I just ordered 40wt and 10k diff oil. 13t pinion and fast eddies bearings, gotta make these shocks last since I may be needing new batteries.

Since mine were new I just slid the o-rings down while still on the shaft and packed it with slime, half probably squeezed out, and snapped the cap back on holding some slime. I did not pour out the oil but topped off with 50 weight, my other choices were 80wt and 100wt, great for crawlers but probably bricks for these. I did not try the "using my own blood" seal trick though.

:ROFLMAO: Blood is required -- you gotta make a sacrifice to the shock gods, else they're going to leak again in the next full moon.

Huge issue. I've read some leaking in the box, new. Sucks.

Disassemble shock. In bottom cartridge there are 2 o-rings with a spacer in between. Remove that spacer and add 3 more o-rings instead. Use a lot of o-ring lubricant. Refill shock and reassemble. Won't leak again unless the cartidge/shock body has a crack, or the cartridge's large thread o-ring is broken.

You can also spend ~$20 and get the HR aluminum shock bodies. Those haven't leaked on me whatsoever and you get to use all your stock Arrma shock parts.

Good luck.

It is so ridiculous that we have to rebuild our shocks right from the box. I just opened my Kraton 4s that I bought for myself for Christmas and the bottom of the box had oil spots, and the rear shocks were covered in oil, and there was oil all over the towers and more. So I took them apart to check them and immediately one of the larger O-Rings was torn in half when I took it apart. I did order the HR bodies and 2 rebuild kits so I can rebuild my shocks with all new parts. So hopefully once thats all done it all works out. I sure hope Arrma fixes this in the next 3s and 4s revisions. I know they know about it. Ive read about a lot of complaints and people contacting them.
20191226_152723.jpg
20191226_021134.jpg
20191226_145844.jpg

I got lucky on the Granite I got my daughter for xmas.
No leaks in the box. :)
maybe after a pack or two they will show up. lol.
If they do, Ill give her my HR shocks off my granite.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back