Talion Rear shock tower keeps bending

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Talion
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon 3s
Bent the hell out of my rear shock tower, ran without a wing and wing mount (broken wing mount)
and bashed hard.

Anyway, have installed a brand new Arrma shock tower, have just ran a few times and no hard bashing and no stupid landings but it has already started to bend. I run the tower to tower brace (TP Parts version) which fits snug and a T-Bone bumper.
Am I missing something ? Are the Arrma originals really this soft ?

30.jpg

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 84
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 70
I went down this same road and it got old pretty quick.
Voltage Hobbies towers fixed all of that and are well worth the $$$
Leaves me more time to bash and fine tune the rig without having to waste time pounding towers back flat again

IMG_7083.JPG

Thanks, looks nice. @Voltage Hobbies does not have any shock towers for the Talion V3, yet. I went ahead and ordered a rear one for my Outcast though :)
Do you plan to use a tower to tower brace with this ?

Thanks, looks nice. @Voltage Hobbies does not have any shock towers for the Talion V3, yet. I went ahead and ordered a rear one for my Outcast though :)
Do you plan to use a tower to tower brace with this ?
I think you still kind of need to. Buddy of mine with his talion does bend the towers, but he's running a tower - tower brace because chassis flex causes him to bend the center bones. He also has alloy front/rear chassis braces.

Probably fine if you don't lawn dart it or get 10+ feet of air under it... which my buddy does a lot of both. lol

Yeah they use stamped t6 aluminum. And running without the rear wing and wing mount just spells disaster for the rear shock towers.
SSYuGadl.jpg

Yeah they use stamped t6 aluminum. And running without the rear wing and wing mount just spells disaster for the rear shock towers.
SSYuGadl.jpg

The alloy reminds me of what XTM used to use. My mammoth st would bend like these arrma trucks. Chassis flex all over, hinge pin braces would bend, towers would fold over...

The alloy reminds me of what XTM used to use. My mammoth st would bend like these arrma trucks. Chassis flex all over, hinge pin braces would bend, towers would fold over...
I put in a Voltage Tower. So far it's made it 1 pack lol. Wish I could say the same for wing mounts that is number 4 there. Number 5 has been boiled and wd40 soaked and has also lasted one pack.
20180606_221222.jpg

I used sodium hydroxide and water ut takes about 30
20180625_183442.jpg
seconds per shock body. The polishing is the killer tho. Spent an entire day polishing but I think the end result was worth it. I'm not finished polishing yet I ran out of 3000 grit but here is an idea of how I intend to have all the parts. Plan to put a mirror finish on everything. I had enough 3000 to do the motor mount turned out great.

It looks chrome!! That’s awesome. I have a powder coating setup. I wanna trim a truck in blue. I don’t want red shocks though. Can’t paint the threads so I’ll just have to strip the dye.

Hot Racing makes a shock tower for the V3 Talion. Haven't ordered one yet (hoping Voltage Hobbies makes one soon). I had the same problem but then put the Outcast wheelie bar on and so far so good. No more bending shock towers.

I think you still kind of need to. Buddy of mine with his talion does bend the towers, but he's running a tower - tower brace because chassis flex causes him to bend the center bones. He also has alloy front/rear chassis braces.

Probably fine if you don't lawn dart it or get 10+ feet of air under it... which my buddy does a lot of both. lol

Plan is to use carbon fiber shock towers and alloy front/rear chassi braces. Was then hoping to get rid of the tower to tower brace, not good to hear that you buddy's Talion bends the center bones though.

SSYuGadl.jpg

Well in this case I mounted a brand new original shock tower together with a RPM wing mount and haven't had any bad landings.
I think the original shock tower is really soft and what causes mine to start bending just on the outer edges by the shocks might be the shocks themselves, the Talion V3 shocks are filles with 2000cst fluid from factory and hard landings will cause this over time !?

Hot Racing makes a shock tower for the V3 Talion. Haven't ordered one yet (hoping Voltage Hobbies makes one soon). I had the same problem but then put the Outcast wheelie bar on and so far so good. No more bending shock towers.

The Hot Racing low profile wing mount seems to be a very nice looking rigid wing mount, I really believe though that it will not stay straight after a couple of hard landings !? The RPM wing mount is the best I have found so far, looks kinda twisted after a couple of bad landings but can be heated and bent back in to shape, the plus is, it does not break, the minus is, it is not a low profile one.

Well in this case I mounted a brand new original shock tower together with a RPM wing mount and haven't had any bad landings.
I think the original shock tower is really soft and what causes mine to start bending just on the outer edges by the shocks might be the shocks themselves, the Talion V3 shocks are filles with 2000cst fluid from factory and hard landings will cause this over time !?

The Hot Racing low profile wing mount seems to be a very nice looking rigid wing mount, I really believe though that it will not stay straight after a couple of hard landings !? The RPM wing mount is the best I have found so far, looks kinda twisted after a couple of bad landings but can be heated and bent back in to shape, the plus is, it does not break, the minus is, it is not a low profile one.

I didn't beat on my Outcast that much and it was bending the rear shock tower. I moved the shocks to the inner most hole and that seemed to fix it. I've also seen someone run 2 tower to tower braces on theirs. Going from the outer holes on the tower up to the front. Not sure if they had any luck with it though.

Ya this was my old tower to tower I used the outer holes on the towers as @Paultro84 said this worked great for me. I was bending factory towers alot this tower 2 tower distributes the load more evenly then a center mount 1 does. For the new build I'm gonna make something else. But it does work great.
20180515_211025.jpg

I didn't beat on my Outcast that much and it was bending the rear shock tower. I moved the shocks to the inner most hole and that seemed to fix it. I've also seen someone run 2 tower to tower braces on theirs. Going from the outer holes on the tower up to the front. Not sure if they had any luck with it though.

Ya this was my old tower to tower I used the outer holes on the towers as @Paultro84 said this worked great for me. I was bending factory towers alot this tower 2 tower distributes the load more evenly then a center mount 1 does. For the new build I'm gonna make something else. But it does work great.View attachment 19921

Yes, I believe using the inner hole for the shocks on the rear tower will be best for durability, in fact that's the stock location on V3 (at least the ones I have)

I also believe in using dual tower to tower braces, it would be better than a single center one. They would minimize flex and at the same time keep the shock towers straight !? Unfortunately due to the body and the low profile design of the V3 towers, it does not really fit.

Bent the hell out of my rear shock tower, ran without a wing and wing mount (broken wing mount)
and bashed hard.

Anyway, have installed a brand new Arrma shock tower, have just ran a few times and no hard bashing and no stupid landings but it has already started to bend. I run the tower to tower brace (TP Parts version) which fits snug and a T-Bone bumper.
Am I missing something ? Are the Arrma originals really this soft ?

View attachment 19800
Check out markhor rc designs on Facebook . I got some of his towers for my kraton they will never bend. There 10mm Look how much thicker they are compared to the stock one
20180619_214622.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back