Rear Turnbuckle Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraniteVorteksKraton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Has anyone done any mods on the Granite BLX to prevent the rear turnbuckles from popping off?

Im thinking of making some turnbuckles with Revo rod ends (Trx5347) I have lost a couple of dogbones when they have popped off so I am gonna make some crawler style links with all thread and alloy tube. I have meaaured the turnbuckles and they measure up at exactly 90mm.

I'm just wondering if it means other parts might break if I mod some turnbuckles with shock ends instead of ball cups. I will remove the ball ends and replace with hollow balls and screw them in with a washer on the side of the screw to prevent them falling off.

I just thought I'd ask the question if anyone has done this on either the Granite or the Vorteks?

hdr_1443967454656.jpg

I had the exact same thoughts on this. But, before I had a chance to convert them over, I broke a rear hub carrier at the ball mount. Likewise, I figure it is pretty safe to say that a captured link would break these much more often so I gave up on the idea. Instead, I painted my dog bones neon orange and most times I can actually see them fling off the car. It certainly makes them a lot easier to see on the ground and I have noticed their location is pretty predictable if I am paying attention during the crash.

Cool pick btw, I was just ripping mine at the beach Friday afternoon.

I experienced kinda the same thing. I put captured rods ends, on front and rear. The front is fine, the rear however kept ripping out of the hub carrier. I bought yellow rpm rod ends, and went back to stock configuration. Rather have them pop off, than rip and strip out rear hub carriers, they get costly. :)

I experienced kinda the same thing. I put captured rods ends, on front and rear. The front is fine, the rear however kept ripping out of the hub carrier. I bought yellow rpm rod ends, and went back to stock configuration. Rather have them pop off, than rip and strip out rear hub carriers, they get costly. :)

Were you running a nut on the backside or just threading them into the plastic?

Were you running a nut on the backside or just threading them into the plastic?

Just threading them into plastic. I wish I would of thought of a nut on the back side, very good idea! On the front though, there's barely enough room for the screw due to the chassis plate. Those rpm rod ends fit pretty tight! :D The captured rod ends I am using on the front are from a traxxas jato turnbuckle set.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I didn't think of RPM ball cups, I will get a set of those next time I am at my RPM retailer. I will also experiment with some nuts to hold the screw on the hub carrier. Thanks again.

Here's another photo from my recent photography session : wipeout :
hdr_1444040193158.jpg

@GraniteVorteksKraton, make sure you get the long rpm rod ends, if your still using the stock turnbuckles. One more thing, if your looking to get rid of the vicious ballooning, duct tape works wonderfully. I've duct taped all of my pro line tires, lots of videos on YouTube showing how.
Hope this helps.
Very cool pic!

@GraniteVorteksKraton, make sure you get the long rpm rod ends, if your still using the stock turnbuckles. One more thing, if your looking to get rid of the vicious ballooning, duct tape works wonderfully. I've duct taped all of my pro line tires, lots of videos on YouTube showing how.
Hope this helps.
Very cool pic!

Thanks for the reminder. I will make sure I get the longer RPM ball cups. Im not too fussed about the ballooning tyres, I don't normally go so hard on the throttle to make the tyres balloon out like that. I usually build up gradual speed and gain control and then go hard. This PIC was only because I had my DSLR camera in one hand and controller in the other, I gave the throttle a full squirt for some camera action and sand flying. Here's another PIC of a mishap to the lack of being able to properly control the car while taking photos with the other hand haha
hdr_1444135296034.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back