Rebuilt Outcast 8s with the XLX2 and 1100kv motor 30/47 gearing .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture comparison :
20210418_151247.jpg
20210418_151239.jpg
20210418_151228.jpg

Rear EXB links installed on my Outcast 8s. I keep breaking that little rod end on the lower chassis brace (the one that is connected to the transmission). Does it even need that chassis brace now that I'm running my M2C chassis???
20210422_215424.jpg
20210422_215325.jpg
20210422_215106.jpg
20210422_215046.jpg
20210422_214650.jpg

EXB links installed. Ready to go again. Changed gearing to 39/39 since I don't have enough rotation in the air for double backflips. Hopefully I can achieve faster tire rotation now.
20210428_124524.jpg
20210428_124518.jpg
20210428_124511.jpg
20210428_125151.jpg
20210428_125200.jpg

Which one do you like better?
Tough one. For stability and longer jumps K8S, for faster backflips and some standing backflips (if I want), or self ride Outcast 8s.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering about the motor temp on the k8 35/47setup. I see most people running the 39 spool and they talk about needing fans.

I just built a K8 w/ 32/39 gears and I’m trying to see if I’m going in the right direction for the track racing I’ll do in short grass.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering about the motor temp on the k8 35/47setup. I see most people running the 39 spool and they talk about needing fans.

I just built a K8 w/ 32/39 gears and I’m trying to see if I’m going in the right direction for the track racing I’ll do in short grass.
What ESC and motor are you using? Castle told me that 34/39 gearing was way too aggressive after my XLX2 with the 1100kv motor from Castle had issues (my bullets came off the ESC on the battery side) . I since went with 30/47 gearing and it seems to be working fine. Over 50mph on grass. That's more than adequate for bashing. At least for me.

My apologies I forgot to tell you I’m running an XLX2 w/ 1100 kv motor.

I saw many people say they run between a 29 -39 pinion with the 39spur, so I figure I would try. They also say you would need a fan on the motor, so I wasn’t sure if this was normal. I’m trying not to run a fan, but if I need to I have one.

My apologies I forgot to tell you I’m running an XLX2 w/ 1100 kv motor.

I saw many people say they run between a 29 -39 pinion with the 39spur, so I figure I would try. They also say you would need a fan on the motor, so I wasn’t sure if this was normal. I’m trying not to run a fan, but if I need to I have one.
I tried 30/39 gearing and it was insanely fast (like 58MPH on grass). But I felt it was not worth it due to the spikes in voltage mentioned. Maybe for a couple of speed passes and no almost constant running, that gearing would be OK, but I like to have fun and jump almost non stop. And it's only like 5 MPH more compared to the less aggressive gearing (30/47). Also, my batteries get pretty hot with the 30/39 gearing. So yeah, I wouldn't go there again. That's just me though. And I also use proline trenchers 4.3 tires, which you have to gear down for obvious reasons. I advise you to keep an eye on your volatage spikes, your temps and to shut down your motor at 170F maximum (that's what I'm doing). Use some big QS8 connectors too. Just my suggestions. Have fun but take it easy when trying out new gearing and set ups. I've blown motors, escs and I puffed batteries when I didn't take it easy 👍
I use game changer fans with the Xmaxx heatsink and I put battery straps around it to keep the fans in place
Like this :
20220825_081738.jpg
20220825_080326.jpg

@Armarookie43 I did my first test with the rig today in this Texas heat. I'm running XLX2, 1100kv motor, 32/39 gearing, two motor fans, 2 SMC 6900 mah 135c 4S batteries on Proline Masher X tires. The test was to setup the steering alignment, check for heat issues and on road speed test.

Without the fans running on the motor in ran constant 58mph with motor temp at 130 degrees. Round 2 I turned the fans on and did the same speed test and the truck ran 59mph consistently with the motor staying at 110 degrees.

ALL this was done in 96 degree weather. I haven't pulled the logs, but that will have to be part two of this post.

I can say that this 1/5 scale Kraton 8S is a beast and a entire other animal compared to my Talion XL EXB on 6S. I do agree that the speed this truck is running on road is more than adequate for off road, so now its time to find that sweet spot for me with gearing and motor temp.

Time to the pull the data logs, adjust my servo voltage and record all this data.

2nd speed run 59mph.PNG

Castle also told me my gearing was too aggressive at 34/47 and advised I gear down to 30/47. Bummer, but when they are giving the warranty, I’ll follow suit.

@Armarookie43 I did my first test with the rig today in this Texas heat. I'm running XLX2, 1100kv motor, 32/39 gearing, two motor fans, 2 SMC 6900 mah 135c 4S batteries on Proline Masher X tires. The test was to setup the steering alignment, check for heat issues and on road speed test.

Without the fans running on the motor in ran constant 58mph with motor temp at 130 degrees. Round 2 I turned the fans on and did the same speed test and the truck ran 59mph consistently with the motor staying at 110 degrees.

ALL this was done in 96 degree weather. I haven't pulled the logs, but that will have to be part two of this post.

I can say that this 1/5 scale Kraton 8S is a beast and a entire other animal compared to my Talion XL EXB on 6S. I do agree that the speed this truck is running on road is more than adequate for off road, so now its time to find that sweet spot for me with gearing and motor temp.

Time to the pull the data logs, adjust my servo voltage and record all this data.

View attachment 238892
I suspect that you will get some 500 plus amp spikes with that gearing on grass. With 30/47 gearing I saw up to 300amp spikes if I remember correctly, which is acceptable. At least I think it's acceptable. And the top speed was at least 53-55mph on grass with 30/47 compared to the 58 mph on grass with the 30/39 gearing. I honestly don't see the benefits of the extra few miles. I did see the drawbacks of the crazy amp pulls, puffed batteries and de soldered bullets. That's been my experience.
Try it out and then check your logs.

Last edited:
Castle also told me my gearing was too aggressive at 34/47 and advised I gear down to 30/47. Bummer, but when they are giving the warranty, I’ll follow suit.
I unfortunately didn’t see castle suggestion until after I ran the setup today for the first time. I did pull my logs, but they didn’t show over 200 amps.
I suspect that you will get some 500 plus amp spikes with that gearing on grass. With 30/47 gearing I saw up to 300amp spikes if I remember correctly, which is acceptable. At least I think it's acceptable. And the top speed was at least 53-55mph on grass with 30/47 compared to the 58 mph on grass with the 30/39 gearing. I honestly don't see the benefits of the extra few miles. I did see the drawbacks of the crazy amp pulls, puffed batteries and de soldered bullets. That's been my experience.
Try it out and then check your logs.
I agree with what your saying, so I’m going to play it safe and put 30/47 gears in tomorrow before I run it on the grass. I’ll pull the data logs and share it in the thread. I don’t care about a few more mph on the grass.

What I do care about is having a solid setup, low motor/esc temps and a lot of fun.
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I unfortunately didn’t see castle suggestion until after I ran the setup today for the first time. I did pull my logs, but they didn’t show over 200 amps.

I agree with what your saying, so I’m going to play it safe and put 30/47 gears in tomorrow before I run it on the grass. I’ll pull the data logs and share it in the thread. I don’t care about a few more mph on the grass.

What I do care about is having a solid setup, low motor/esc temps and a lot of fun.
Thanks for the help
Yeah. I just don't want you to experience my failures. I think that you are making the right decision by going with the less aggressive gearing like I did.And yes, please share your data logs here if you can so that we can compare them. 👍

Last edited:
Question…. I can home from work and put the 47t spur on, but I can only get one screw in the motor mount. Castles website says they recommend 32/47. How’s that possible if it does fit?

I did notice that I’m running g the 56 series motor mount and not the 49. I ended up ordering a 30t pinion.

Question…. I can home from work and put the 47t spur on, but I can only get one screw in the motor mount. Castles website says they recommend 32/47. How’s that possible if it does fit?

I did notice that I’m running g the 56 series motor mount and not the 49. I ended up ordering a 30t pinion.
Yeah I'd go with the 30t. I mean you could run it with just one screw on the top, but yeah, two screws on the top and one on the bottom is more ideal and stronger since the 2028 motor is so heavy

I order a 30t, but it boggles my mind that castle recommended 32/47. When I tried creating that setup it didn’t fit. 🤔🤔

We know that going down is always a good thing….

How did you run. 34/47?

I order a 30t, but it boggles my mind that castle recommended 32/47. When I tried creating that setup it didn’t fit. 🤔🤔

We know that going down is always a good thing….

How did you run. 34/47?
I believe that I was able to to achieve that because I used the PPS motor mount insert when I was running 35/47 gearing. It's more flexible than the stock 56 series mount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back