Rebuilt Outcast 8s with the XLX2 and 1100kv motor 30/47 gearing .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to use the pps motor slide to run 34/47 gearing. Not sure if it is necessary to run 30/47, the owners manual should tell you what gearing you can run with the two slides that come with an EXB.

I had to use the pps motor slide to run 34/47 gearing. Not sure if it is necessary to run 30/47, the owners manual should tell you what gearing you can run with the two slides that come with an EXB.
The rule of thumb is to check your temps and logs when using any combo of gearing. As long as things are not getting too hot, and there are no insane voltage spikes, connwctors are not loose, then it's ok. There are are so many variables that have to be taken into consideration like the local weather, batteries used, tires used, connectors on the ESC used to name a few 👍

I finally got my M2C motor mount in and I installed the 32p/47s. This truck ran 55mph on my street and was super quick in the back yard. The battery voltage was low, because I had previously ran it in the street to check top speed

temps:
1. Batteries 108
2. Motor 138
3. ESC 147
Data log;
1. 134.7 amps
2. 5.15 hp
3. 16,641 rpm
4. .36 ripple voltage

Tell me what you think.

Off road test run 9-3-2022.png

lol man I ran my outcast 8s at 31/47 with 1356kv tp motor and max 5. It's crazy to me that castle suggest such low gearing when even the max 5 can handle that and it doesn't put out nearly as many amps as the xlx2.

So weird, normally you'd buy an xlx2 so you COULD gear up more as the xlx2 is said to handle 500 amps no problem.

lol man I ran my outcast 8s at 31/47 with 1356kv tp motor and max 5. It's crazy to me that castle suggest such low gearing when even the max 5 can handle that and it doesn't put out nearly as many amps as the xlx2.

So weird, normally you'd buy an xlx2 so you COULD gear up more as the xlx2 is said to handle 500 amps no problem.
According to the Castle techs, yeah it can handle 500k amps here and there during speed runs, but not doing almost non stop running on the dirt grass, and stop and go. Two very different situations. I mean, I did go for months within 30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing, but I ended up with issues. Maybe it was my insane jumps and horrible crashes that didn't help? I don't know. Your batteries don't get hot when running off road with high gearing? I know that I did try 30/39 gearing with the Max 5 and 1100kv from Castle and the Max 5 hit thermal after like 5 minutes. It was like 90F outside with trencher 4.3 tires on my EXB K8S. I for sure know that the XLX2 would not hit thermal with that same gearing 🤷
I finally got my M2C motor mount in and I installed the 32p/47s. This truck ran 55mph on my street and was super quick in the back yard. The battery voltage was low, because I had previously ran it in the street to check top speed

temps:
1. Batteries 108
2. Motor 138
3. ESC 147
Data log;
1. 134.7 amps
2. 5.15 hp
3. 16,641 rpm
4. .36 ripple voltage

Tell me what you think.

View attachment 241176
That looks like good numbers to me.

According to the Castle techs, yeah it can handle 500k amps here and there during speed runs, but not doing almost non stop running on the dirt grass, and stop and go. Two very different situations. I mean, I did go for months within 30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing, but I ended up with issues. Maybe it was my insane jumps and horrible crashes that didn't help? I don't know. Your batteries don't get hot when running off road with high gearing? I know that I did try 30/39 gearing with the Max 5 and 1100kv from Castle and the Max 5 hit thermal after like 5 minutes. It was like 90F outside with trencher 4.3 tires on my EXB K8S. I for sure know that the XLX2 would not hit thermal with that same gearing 🤷

That looks like good numbers to me.
my batteries never got abnormally hot on my k8s with the xlx2, I had 31/39 gearing with 1270kv. Maybe my bashing style is a little more forgiving than yours though. I'm not on the throttle nonstop, like even when I do a jump, I'm easy on the throttle getting back instead of gunning it. I do plan on lowering my gearing though as it can hit 75 mph on road and it's a bit nuts with the air control and trenchers with that gearing. It was hard to even pull off backflips because the rotation was TOO much lol.

my batteries never got abnormally hot on my k8s with the xlx2, I had 31/39 gearing with 1270kv. Maybe my bashing style is a little more forgiving than yours though. I'm not on the throttle nonstop, like even when I do a jump, I'm easy on the throttle getting back instead of gunning it. I do plan on lowering my gearing though as it can hit 75 mph on road and it's a bit nuts with the air control and trenchers with that gearing. It was hard to even pull off backflips because the rotation was TOO much lol.
Yeah I was probably pushing it too hard. It sounds like your style of bashing is better for long term success 👍

I tried 32/39 gearing first & had no issues. The outcome was about the same as the castle gearing recommendation. I figured that castle said to run the 32/47 gears, so I wanted to see how it performed. My data logs are to help anyone that they can. For what I do the setup is fine. See YouTube link to this weekends racing. My truck is the Florescent green one.

I tried 32/39 gearing first & had no issues. The outcome was about the same as the castle gearing recommendation. I figured that castle said to run the 32/47 gears, so I wanted to see how it performed. My data logs are to help anyone that they can. For what I do the setup is fine. See YouTube link to this weekends racing. My truck is the Florescent green one.

That looks so damn fun.

My apologies I forgot to tell you I’m running an XLX2 w/ 1100 kv motor.

I saw many people say they run between a 29 -39 pinion with the 39spur, so I figure I would try. They also say you would need a fan on the motor, so I wasn’t sure if this was normal. I’m trying not to run a fan, but if I need to I have one.
That gearing setup will push your rig well over 60+ MPH.

That gearing setup will push your rig well over 60+ MPH.
I was hitting 58MPH on grass/dirt with 30/39 gearing. Yeah pretty fast for a 30lbs plus beast. I'm still hitting around 53MPH with 30/47 gearing, which is very fast too and more than enough for what I'm doing now with my rigs. Like I mentioned before, I want long term success and I'm not trying to destroy my stuff every time I go out by sending them as fast and as high as I can. But that's just me. I couldn't afford to spend the extra $ every single month TBH 👍

Some more action with 30/47 gearing. I don't miss 30/39 or 35/47 gearing at all honesty. This system (the castle one) is so powerful, that you don't need insane gearing to have lots of fun :

@Armarookie43 I did my first test with the rig today in this Texas heat. I'm running XLX2, 1100kv motor, 32/39 gearing, two motor fans, 2 SMC 6900 mah 135c 4S batteries on Proline Masher X tires. The test was to setup the steering alignment, check for heat issues and on road speed test.

Without the fans running on the motor in ran constant 58mph with motor temp at 130 degrees. Round 2 I turned the fans on and did the same speed test and the truck ran 59mph consistently with the motor staying at 110 degrees.

ALL this was done in 96 degree weather. I haven't pulled the logs, but that will have to be part two of this post.

I can say that this 1/5 scale Kraton 8S is a beast and a entire other animal compared to my Talion XL EXB on 6S. I do agree that the speed this truck is running on road is more than adequate for off road, so now its time to find that sweet spot for me with gearing and motor temp.

Time to the pull the data logs, adjust my servo voltage and record all this data.

View attachment 238892
Hey, I tried my new Gens pro basher batteries today and check out the results. This was with my K8S, 1100KV motor XLX2 proline trenchers and 30/47 gearing. These batteries are way better than the Powerhobby batteries that I was using before. 60 mph on grass. Way more punch and top end speed.

Screenshot_20221216_134818_GNSS PA.jpg

Hey, I tried my new Gens pro basher batteries today and check out the results. This was with my K8S, 1100KV motor XLX2 proline trenchers and 30/47 gearing. These batteries are way better than the Powerhobby batteries that I was using before. 60 mph on grass. Way more punch and top end speed.

View attachment 263080
Running exact same setup except with stock tires. Also saw 60mph on grass.

What batteries are you using? I never got that kind of speed and punch with the powerhobby ones. I got 58MPH with 35/47 gearing. Same exact setup, except the batteries.

Gens 11,000mAh.
Basher pros? These are the most powerful batteries I've ever tested. Hands down. They are heavy and look like quality.
I'm surprised that your stock tires didn't rip apart with that speed. Was that on grass that speed?

Basher pros? These are the most powerful batteries I've ever tested. Hands down. They are heavy and look like quality.

I'm surprised that your stock tires didn't rip apart with that speed. Was that on grass that speed?
Yep, basher pro, 11Ah, 100C. I ordered direct from their website and requested the version with 8awg wire. Using QS8 for everything. Ordered a 2nd pair for $102.00 each on black Friday. Charging all four in parallel maxes out my charger's 40amp limit and isn't even quite 1C😅.

On tires - if you look at my past thread posts you'll see one where I'm asking for help after a blowout.😊 So far the repair has held up.

Per advice from others on this forum, I changed my diff fluids. In particular, earplugs in the center and 1mm/500k in F/R. This seems to have helped keep all four wheels going same speed on the full throttle runs. Still ballooning, but I guess not to the point of a blowout. I'm probably pushing the envelope a bit though.

I've done the speed runs on concrete and short grass. I've only measured speed on grass, topping out at 61mph. In case it matters, I measured speed by zip tying my phone to rear spoiler and running a GPS speed app that remembers top speed. The app always ties out to my (non-R/C) car's speedometer so figure it's valid.

I was hitting 58MPH on grass/dirt with 30/39 gearing. Yeah pretty fast for a 30lbs plus beast. I'm still hitting around 53MPH with 30/47 gearing, which is very fast too and more than enough for what I'm doing now with my rigs. Like I mentioned before, I want long term success and I'm not trying to destroy my stuff every time I go out by sending them as fast and as high as I can. But that's just me. I couldn't afford to spend the extra $ every single month TBH 👍
I want to run 30t × 47 just foe bashing but the different is that I goin whit 800kv catles +xlx2..do you think I will go around 45 to 50 mhp whit 800kv w 30t × 47 ???
I unfortunately didn’t see castle suggestion until after I ran the setup today for the first time. I did pull my logs, but they didn’t show over 200 amps.

I agree with what your saying, so I’m going to play it safe and put 30/47 gears in tomorrow before I run it on the grass. I’ll pull the data logs and share it in the thread. I don’t care about a few more mph on the grass.

What I do care about is having a solid setup, low motor/esc temps and a lot of fun.
Thanks I

I unfortunately didn’t see castle suggestion until after I ran the setup today for the first time. I did pull my logs, but they didn’t show over 200 amps.

I agree with what your saying, so I’m going to play it safe and put 30/47 gears in tomorrow before I run it on the grass. I’ll pull the data logs and share it in the thread. I don’t care about a few more mph on the grass.

What I do care about is having a solid setup, low motor/esc temps and a lot of fun.
Thanks for the help
I want to run same setup but whit the 800kv catles xlx2..I don't want to swap the stock spur. Can I run 30t ×47 whit the 800kv? I don't care to go crazy fast

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back