Received ZD racing shocks, with different sizes of pistons!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_Basher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't make 2 new shocks behave the same, until I just took the shocks apart, only to find they have completely different pistons! So annoying!
I have no other shocks, anf I really needed these to replace a broken shock.
I already emailed Banggood about this, but I'm still left without working shocks.
I might try 3D printing some pistons with different hole sizes. Not sure how they'll hold but worth a try.

IMG_20200710_014605.jpg

Holy cow. :rolleyes: What a blunder. I guess ZD QC is WAY off and ain't all that at any price. Maybe for paper weights. I wonder how many ZD shocks come like that and guys are running them not even noticing yet wondering whas up with their rig.:ROFLMAO:

Edit: If you have the luxury of being able to print pistons you are the lucky few. Do it. The picture shows 2 very poorly molded pistons(which actually look like horrible 3D prints) and appear off center. (different size and amount of holes aside). Alternatively you can drill out the smaller holed piston to match the larger holed one.

Last edited:
I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't make 2 new shocks behave the same, until I just took the shocks apart, only to find they have completely different pistons! So annoying!
I already emailed Banggood about this, but I'm still left without working shocks.
I might try 3D printing some pistons with different hole sizes. Not sure how they'll hold but worth a try.

View attachment 88891

For sure print your own.. they will work fine.. ?

Drill the smaller holes out to match the larger ones
The same thought did cross my mind, but the problem is that the bigger holes are too big for the 42.5wt oil I'm using. They're so big that there's almost no resistance when I compress the shock. This is how it all started, because I felt one of the shocks wasn't performing as it should. It's almost like a shock with no oil at all.

Ah man that sucks. Mine are showing up tomorrow. Hope they are ok. :oops:
Its the luck of the draw. Do you feel lucky? Let us know if you won the lottery when the shocks come. :LOL:
The same thought did cross my mind, but the problem is that the bigger holes are too big for the 42.5wt oil I'm using. They're so big that there's almost no resistance when I compress the shock. This is how it all started, because I felt one of the shocks wasn't performing as it should. It's almost like a shock with no oil at all.
You don't have any other choice but to up the CST of your oil considerably. Probably even doubling the CST as needed. When buying most upgrade shocks, oil CST must change to accommodate the shock pack you are seeking for your specific rig. Pistons vary from brand to brand and so will the oil CST that is required. Fact.

Last edited:

View attachment 88891
Can you put arrma 6s pistons in that zd shocks?

@A_Basher nice work. I’ll take 4 :LOL:

Mine didn’t show yesterday, updated tracking has them coming in today now.

What cst and rig are you running them on? I have 42.5 and 45cst at home and want to put on a lighter typhon. Thanks.

@A_Basher nice work. I’ll take 4 :LOL:

Mine didn’t show yesterday, updated tracking has them coming in today now.

What cst and rig are you running them on? I have 42.5 and 45cst at home and want to put on a lighter typhon. Thanks.

It's going on my Typhon 3S. I'm using 42.5wt oil.

Nice! I’m going the same route as well. May step up the weight but not 100% sure yet. Mine showed up. Here they are compared to some leaky 3s shocks.
View attachment 89182View attachment 89183
Can you confirm that your ZD fronts don't have the rod end twisted all the way down too? When I got mine they were backed out a little ways and when I was done fully seating them it was about 5mm shorter than it was out of the bag.

@suchtragedy will do. Will post up when I can get back to the workbench. Read your break down on your experience. Good stuff. Where did you find the spacers to push out the bottom mounts? Also would you be up to printing some additional upper mounts? I’ll pay? I like that idea over nitro fuel line. I need to find some spacers to limit the shafts as well. I havnt swapped over to RPM yet so I’ll be limited to only one mounting location.

@suchtragedy will do. Will post up when I can get back to the workbench. Read your break down on your experience. Good stuff. Where did you find the spacers to push out the bottom mounts? Also would you be up to printing some additional upper mounts? I’ll pay? I like that idea over nitro fuel line. I need to find some spacers to limit the shafts as well. I havnt swapped over to RPM yet so I’ll be limited to only one mounting location.
Yeah I can print some of you want. PM me your address and I can send it via snail mail for the cost of a stamp.

For the spacers I also printed those too. I could throw some of those in too, though you could come up with something pretty easily like stacked O rings, fish tank air tubing, or get a bic style ball point pen with the soft white plastic and just cut a 12mm section off and use that, etc.

I have a nylon spacer kit from Amazon in 3mm that I liked for small form factor shocks. Here's a similar set in 4mm that I think would work great for 4mm shock shafts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DF6ST4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aENcFbWV51EYM

@SrC
Went ahead and printed the pistons. Came out great. I can further fine tune them if needed - make the holes bigger or smaller, change the number holes, etc.

View attachment 89063
A really nice print dude. I'm envious of you 3D print guys. Nice work. I imagined Piston tolerance is so hard to create for an existing shock body's internal diameter. At least from my armchair that is.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back