recommend a good solder for battery connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose if you didn't own any solder, it wouldn't hurt to buy lead free. For myself I've been using lead solder, since people smoked cigarettes in restaurants and while waiting in line at the bank. I have leaded solder for sweating pipes, and electronics solder on hand. I'll use it until it's gone.

Like a lot of others I use 60/40 solder but as @jondilly1974 said if you can use a safer product and still get on with it then you'd be silly not to really (better safe than sorry). When my 60/40 has gone I'll definitely try something lead free. ;)

Some other things I'd definitely recommend for your soldering supplies cupboard.

Not essential but still good things to have.

While on the subject of general solder equipment, I would also recommend a solder pump and some braid wick. I use these two items a lot.

I don’t know where to even buy lead solder I’d love to get some
I know a guy that has a small spool. Gonna be expensive though?

Leaded solder is so much easier to use, especally if you have an underpowered iron. Lead-free just does not flow or tin as well.

As far as the danger, I suspect it is low enough to be a non issue for adult males. But then, I was one of those kids that carried lead pellets in my mouth like chewing tobacco when I went plinking. Probably explains a lot. Lol

It can be found, just def. not California. I like lead only. But I will not dive in and tell someone else to use it because that is personal when it comes to health issues. I've tried both. I know how to solder and feel competent in how I use it. lead for me. To the person asking for a recommendation, just read between the lines and make your own call. Honestly most people don't even see a difference between the two types. But I do. Pre-tinned ESC wiring is non lead. Because of mfr rules. Lead paint is banned. Lead is not good. We all know why. But the small amount found in soldering a few wires is minimal. IMO. To each his own. I can shoot 250 rounds of ammo and I know that my dose of Lead is 1000+time's more from firing those rounds.

I've been soldering for well over 50 years now, and my lead levels are considered "normal". Just wash your hands well after handling the solder, don't smoke while your soldering, and don't eat it.

If you're soldering with a torch, and use too much heat, you can generate lead vapor, which isn't good at all to breathe.

As far as doing "Hobby Level" soldering on your R/C car? Use the leaded solder. It flows out much better, at lower temperature, sticks better, and your odds of getting sick from it are pretty much non-existant.

As to why manufacturer's went to lead-free solder, it's because people throw old electronics away improperly, they wind up in a land fill, and the lead can leach out and get into the water table. Bad news for everybody in the area.
It can be found, just def. not California. I like lead only. But I will not dive in and tell someone else to use it because that is personal when it comes to health issues. I've tried both. I know how to solder and feel competent in how I use it. lead for me. To the person asking for a recommendation, just read between the lines and make your own call. Honestly most people don't even see a difference between the two types. But I do. Pre-tinned ESC wiring is non lead. Because of mfr rules. Lead paint is banned. Lead is not good. We all know why. But the small amount found in soldering a few wires is minimal. IMO. To each his own. I can shoot 250 rounds of ammo and I know that my dose of Lead is 1000+time's more from firing those rounds.

I bought pound spools of regular, good old Kester 60/40 solder in SoCal up to the time we moved in 2017. If the stores had it in stock, they could sell it. IIRC, it's forbidden to use in manufacturing, but allowed for repairs. It's a complicated law, like most laws in Kalifornia.

Never ate crayons or glue, but I did chew pencils and baseball gloves..????

Imagining the flavor of a baseball glove takes me back to a time when life was less stressful and my only job was to make good grades and behave. Nostalgia is powerful and I love the rare times it's queued. My dad made me saddle soap my glove after every game so there's that flavor and smell mixed in too. ?⚾

Chewing on the gloves strings is a huge blast from childhood. And as described...a much easier time. They best is when you fielded a ground ball deep in the dirt...forgot to bang it off and got some good crunchy infields with your string...LOL!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back