recommend a good solder for battery connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4SIR

Retired NYPD full time Basher
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
ok thanks which size?

• 0.6mm/50g

• 0.6mm/100g

• 0.8mm/400g
Depends on what you’re soldering, but as a new guy I would go smaller diameter and roll until you know for sure what you like. You can easily buy some at a hardware store too. That way you can see what you’re buying.

Depends on what you’re soldering, but as a new guy I would go smaller diameter and roll until you know for sure what you like. You can easily buy some at a hardware store too. That way you can see what you’re buying.
for right now my immediate project is changing and soldering new connectors to my lipos

for right now my immediate project is changing and soldering new connectors to my lipos
Anything will work. Thicker material will take (slightly) more heat to melt but will take less effort to fill larger areas. I think there is a greater chance of success as a new guy with thinner material. I have both. I have really thin stuff for board repairs, etc. I have big chunky stuff for large connectors. RC stuff is kind of in the middle.
Hmm lead free? I don’t remember why but I was always told by people with over 30years in RC that if I solder anything to use 60/40 solder nothing else - why are people recommending lead free here?
Safety. 60/40 is softer and may withstand impact better. But it has lead in it which is toxic. To me I would rather have to resolder something than bring lead into my house. I also solder indoors so the toxic fumes in the house is a no go for me.

As long as you’re sensible and don’t breathe in the lead fumes then it should be safe enough to work with in small doses. I solder in a garage and have a fan nearby to get a bit of cross-breeze going.
Non LEAD is obviously safer but as long as you’re safe it shouldn’t kill you...

Last edited:
Safety. 60/40 is softer and may withstand impact better. But it has lead in it which is toxic. To me I would rather have to resolder something than bring lead into my house. I also solder indoors so the toxic fumes in the house is a no go for me.
The fumes are from the rosin, not the lead. You arent heating the lead hot enough to turn it into a gas. Afaik - just don't chew, eat or swallow it

You can also get lead poisoning transdermally. You don’t need to ingest it.

Fair but d) surely applies - permissible exposure don't you think?
Like I said, I’m not risking it. You do you. I will still recommend to others to avoid what is possibly toxic. Better safe than sorry. What the harm?

If I can find with lead I use it in ventilation and take steps to reduce concerns. I have some stuff my dad and granddad gave me. Everything can be bad for us, right?
Key steps:
Don't huff solder fumes...no buzz, not worth it
Prepare to ventilate and take standard precautions
Wear a helmet when you ride your bicycle and only use curly light bulbs.
Support Greta because, "how dare you?!"
Only thing truly frail are feelings.

Eh, I use lead solder all day long. So much easier to use and I've been using it as long as I've been soldering, over 2 decades by now.
That explains a lot tho, doesn’t it? ??✌?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back