Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Infraction 4x4
I'm thinking about upgrading the ESC and motor on my Infraction 3s, and I would like to get away from Spektrum and go with either Hobbywing or Castle. I mostly do straight-line street running with my Infraction 3, but I am not looking for a high-end system for high-speed runs.

I would appreciate your recommendations for drop-in replacements.

Killacam

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Voltage
castle mamba x and 1415 motor is my go to for all 1/10 scales that can fit a 550 motor. extremely powerful and versatile from bashing to crawling when you program through castle link. i have that combo in a trx4, ryft, mt10, and tenacity tt pro. i gear them down and run them on 4s and it's muah *chef kiss*

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Infraction 4x4
castle mamba x and 1415 motor is my go to for all 1/10 scales that can fit a 550 motor. extremely powerful and versatile from bashing to crawling when you program through castle link. i have that combo in a trx4, ryft, mt10, and tenacity tt pro. i gear them down and run them on 4s and it's muah *chef kiss*
Thanks. I have a Wendigo 3s rock racer that I equipped with a Castle Copperhead 10 SCT and Castle 3200kv motor combo, and I love it. The Copperhead system with proper gearing allowed me to keep the top end performance but gave me much better low-speed better performance for an occasional crawl.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Infraction 4x4

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Typhon TLR
The stock motor on an Infraction is 3900kv, so this system might make it slower. Castle makes some combos that have 3800 or 4000kv motors in the combo, so I might look at one of them.
I don’t think you’d want one of the higher kv Castle motors since they are physically smaller.

I don’t love HW sensored ESCs though. The racing versions aren’t waterproof and the bashing versions use a weird proprietary sensor cable. No data logging either way. And they all have an oddly high motor temp cutoff - 221F is the lowest setting if I remember correctly.

Maybe make your own combo. These two would pair together well:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ed-brushless-motor-3600kv-hwa30401151/p580788

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...10-scale-brushless-esc-cse010-0155-00/p578314

Killacam

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Voltage
The stock motor on an Infraction is 3900kv, so this system might make it slower. Castle makes some combos that have 3800 or 4000kv motors in the combo, so I might look at one of them.
you can gear up. the 1412 and 1415 motors are strong like Russian bear drunk on vodka.

oldguywnewtoy

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Thanks. I have a Wendigo 3s rock racer that I equipped with a Castle Copperhead 10 SCT and Castle 3200kv motor combo, and I love it. The Copperhead system with proper gearing allowed me to keep the top end performance but gave me much better low-speed better performance for an occasional crawl.
I couldn't keep my Wendigo on it's wheels with brushless. Wouldn't turn at speed. I converted it to brushed, and just crawl with it.
1674068928086.jpeg

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
MM2 ESC is a pretty small form factor and very reliable. If you can find it the MM2 Retro has higher amperage limits.
The MMX6s is decent, but I always found they run too hot for my comfort.