Infraction Recommend an upgraded ESC and motor combo for an Infraction 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I'm thinking about upgrading the ESC and motor on my Infraction 3s, and I would like to get away from Spektrum and go with either Hobbywing or Castle. I mostly do straight-line street running with my Infraction 3, but I am not looking for a high-end system for high-speed runs.

I would appreciate your recommendations for drop-in replacements.

castle mamba x and 1415 motor is my go to for all 1/10 scales that can fit a 550 motor. extremely powerful and versatile from bashing to crawling when you program through castle link. i have that combo in a trx4, ryft, mt10, and tenacity tt pro. i gear them down and run them on 4s and it's muah *chef kiss*

castle mamba x and 1415 motor is my go to for all 1/10 scales that can fit a 550 motor. extremely powerful and versatile from bashing to crawling when you program through castle link. i have that combo in a trx4, ryft, mt10, and tenacity tt pro. i gear them down and run them on 4s and it's muah *chef kiss*
Thanks. I have a Wendigo 3s rock racer that I equipped with a Castle Copperhead 10 SCT and Castle 3200kv motor combo, and I love it. The Copperhead system with proper gearing allowed me to keep the top end performance but gave me much better low-speed better performance for an occasional crawl.

What voltage do you plan to run? What kind of speeds would you like to see?
I have 4s and 6s vehicles, so I don't need anything over 3s on the Infraction. I'm not looking for a lot more speed: I'm just not into Spektrum electronics.

The stock motor on an Infraction is 3900kv, so this system might make it slower. Castle makes some combos that have 3800 or 4000kv motors in the combo, so I might look at one of them.
I don’t think you’d want one of the higher kv Castle motors since they are physically smaller.

I don’t love HW sensored ESCs though. The racing versions aren’t waterproof and the bashing versions use a weird proprietary sensor cable. No data logging either way. And they all have an oddly high motor temp cutoff - 221F is the lowest setting if I remember correctly.

Maybe make your own combo. These two would pair together well:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ed-brushless-motor-3600kv-hwa30401151/p580788

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...10-scale-brushless-esc-cse010-0155-00/p578314

The stock motor on an Infraction is 3900kv, so this system might make it slower. Castle makes some combos that have 3800 or 4000kv motors in the combo, so I might look at one of them.
you can gear up. the 1412 and 1415 motors are strong like Russian bear drunk on vodka.

Thanks. I have a Wendigo 3s rock racer that I equipped with a Castle Copperhead 10 SCT and Castle 3200kv motor combo, and I love it. The Copperhead system with proper gearing allowed me to keep the top end performance but gave me much better low-speed better performance for an occasional crawl.
I couldn't keep my Wendigo on it's wheels with brushless. Wouldn't turn at speed. I converted it to brushed, and just crawl with it.
1674068928086.jpeg

Did you find you a motor and ESC combo? I was curious what worked for future knowledge.

I decided the ESC was the only component I wanted to upgrade right away. I bought a new Spektrum 130A ESC from an RC parts breaker on Ebay: it came with a Spektrum 3800kv motor at the same price as the ESCs were selling for alone, so I now have an extra motor.

I ran the Spektrum 130A ESC and the stock 3900kv motor with the stock 20T pinion before the weather got bad, and the Infraction ran well. I decided I wanted a bit more top speed, and I bought a 23T pinion. I haven't had a chance to run with the new pinion yet due to cold and rainy weather, but I hope to get the Infraction out for a good run shortly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back