Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post Jerry. Maybe worth noting is that charging lipos is somewhat risky even with the best equipment. Doing it with a cloned charger and hacked power supply certainly increases that risk.

I have a venom duopro... i love it charges fast and is very easy to use. About 100 bux for dual and they have a quad as well.
20160816_073610.jpg

Nice post Jerry. Maybe worth noting is that charging lipos is somewhat risky even with the best equipment. Doing it with a cloned charger and hacked power supply certainly increases that risk.

Risk is subjective. For most people driving to the Grocery store is the most dangerous thing they do all year. Seriously. more people get killed in their car on short, in-town trips vs anything else. Another odd Safety fact - you are more likely to get hit by a car in a crosswalk vs jaywalking. Why? Jaywalkers are watching for cars, the guys in the crosswalk with the light telling them to walk assume it is safe, and will step in front of a moving car...

Yes, Lipos are a risk. With a small amout of planning, and risk mitigation, they are very safe. On the iCharger vs the Reaktor & Charsoon - My understanding is they come out of the same factory, with the same firmware. Just different labels. So they are more of a rebrand, rather than a clone. No more risk with one Vs the others. With their advanced feature set, you could even make the argument they are "safer" than my old PSD, or most of the Duratrax branded chargers.

The hacked PSU? Small risk. Don't work on it plugged in, and don't mess with the components on the main board. Really, All I am doing is trimming wires and replacing plugs. And saving $50. If you don't feel comfortable hacking the PSU, no problem, buy the ready made PSU. There is nothing wrong with that either.

For a lot of us, this hobby is about tinkering and DIY as much as it is about driving fast toy cars around in the dirt. It is all fun. :)

Jerry

Last edited:
I picked up a Venom Duo Pro. It seemed like the best charger for the money ($100 or less was my budget). They are about $90 on Amazon and eBay and $85 if you have the right Tower coupon code.

The only bad thing is that they only come with one of each kind of charging lead so you'll be buying or making at least one and they don't include any XT90 leads so you'll need to spend about $15 for a couple of those if you run those batteries.

For those of you looking to charge multiple (similar) lipos at once, be sure to consider a parallel charging setup. I use a single port charger, and the appropriate harnesses, to charge up to 6 at a time. A dual (or more) port is nice if you are charging different packs, but if they are the same or even similar parallel is the way to go.

I didn't read the whole thing but this is what im using. It works great.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/HRC4423...JKz7dvh6YUNIbd-KL1EmDolBUvyJXmLDREaAmPw8P8HAQ

For those of you looking to charge multiple (similar) lipos at once, be sure to consider a parallel charging setup. I use a single port charger, and the appropriate harnesses, to charge up to 6 at a time. A dual (or more) port is nice if you are charging different packs, but if they are the same or even similar parallel is the way to go.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/HRC4423...JKz7dvh6YUNIbd-KL1EmDolBUvyJXmLDREaAmPw8P8HAQ

+1 for the hitec x2 plus!
It's my first lipo charger and I can't find anything wrong with it. Well maybe the fan noise

Andynero

A while back I posted up that my Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo (PSD) had died. Last week Friday, I finally got around to get a service ticket in, and mailed it back to HH. Yesterday, I had a box waiting for me. Less than a week turn around, I like! :)

When I filed the ticket, I noticed the PDS was no longer for sale. I was expecting to get a referb, but instead, they swapped brands. They sent me a Team Orion branded Advantage One Duo V2. Long name. LOL Same power out put - 100w total - but it can do some power sharing -60w on one channel and 40w on the other. Still 5 amp max. Plus the Orion has Storage mode feature the PSD did not have - very important for lipo users. It does not seem to have a discharge, though. Also, 4s max for lipo. :( Same price point as the PSD - $99 at most retailers.

I am going to put this one up for sale while it is still new, and get that big amp charger I have been wanting. This would be a great charger for someone that runs 1/10 scale, 2s/3s only. It just does not have the power for 4s/6s users, which is what I need.

Jerry
20160915_191630.jpg

20160915_191641.jpg

What would you guys recommend for charging stock Fury batteries?

I like my Hitec X1 for 2s batteries. Works for nimh too. It is a bit pricy for a 50x single channel charger, though. Most of the 50w/5a multi function chargers should work.

In other news, I ordered myself a Reaktor 2x300w/20a charger. =D.

Edit #2 - Charger is in, review thread is here.

Interesting, I didn't add that link to Amazon for the X1 - does the board do that automagicly? for advertising? Or was that Moderator Magic? :)

Last edited:
I am currently running a Hitec x4 charger and can say it works great for my lipo charging needs. Max amperage via lipo is 6 amps. Cooling fan can be a bit sporadic during discharge and storage charging near the desired voltage but other than that hasn't had a problem.

Im sure there's info on here.... But I figure I'd throw this question out there again. I'm an oldie who's becoming a newbie again. Im currently using the old MRC rb 465 charger from the days of late 80's early 90's.
Looking for a charger that will do my NiMH packs and the LiPo's I will eventually have!!!
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks!
I just got this the other day to replace an aging single channel charger. It works well but waiting to charge a single lipo battery so you can charge the next one is like watching paint dry. I've used it a dozen times already and so far I like it. Long term yet to be seen?
What I like about it is each channel can charge up to 12 amps (12C) and each channel has 10 battery programmable memory.

New Charger.jpg

Back