Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently upgraded to a newer charger, but I used one like the last one that served me well for years. Make sure the one you buy has at least a couple of the battery leads that fit your specific battery packs or you'll have to spend extra cash to buy or make the ones you need for your applications. I make my own just because I enjoy it. Also consider whether or not you will want an AC/DC charger to take with you to use in your vehicle.

Of those listed, I would say the Imax B6AC - it is a solid, basic charger with a good reputation. HOWEVER - there are a lot of counterfeit iMax chargers, and a lot of re-brands. The one you linked, I am guessing is counterfit - as the real B6AC is 50w max, not 80w max.

another source for the "real" imax -
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-ac-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html

the Pro690ac you linked looks nice, the 90w/7a max would be nice. But I don't know anything about that brand. If you could find that charger from a proper retailer, I would say it could be worth taking a shot. From Ebay, though, I would personally pass. But then, I don't Ebay much...

20161212_133428.jpg

Hi guys
Im currently using an X1 Touch
To charged my 4s lipo and 2s lipo
Im liking this charger easy to use even for a beginner
But i wanna charged my lipo a bit faster if i can
What can you guys recommend

Thanx

Does anyone know why the prophet sport duo was discontinued? I wanted to know if there were any major issues or recalls. I know mine doesn't know when to stop charging a lipo unless you stop and start it again... @Jerry-rigged do you happen to know anything?

@justatree , my PSD failed while chargering 2x 2s packs at max amps in a 90 degree garage. Overworked? yes, but still. Horizon has great CS, though, and replaced it for free - but with an Orion charger instead of another PSD (see post 33, this thread). I sold the Orion and bought a Reaktor 2x 300w (My Review, if you have not seen it the other 50 times I posted it :) ) short review, I love this charger.

The PDS was, IMHO, really a second rate charger. Easy to use, but it lacked some basic features, like storage mode and discharging. My Hitec X1 (4 button old style) is a much better charger, even though it is the same "power". IMHO, it (the PSD) was discontinued because HH had better chargers for the same money - like the Orion. Same price, but full featured, and power sharing between channels. Plus competition with other brands, like the Venom - 80w/8a, full feature set, and $20 less - the PSD just seems old and outdated.

@ARRMAgeddon - If you want more power, I don't think the Reaktor line can be beat on power+value. I hear they run the same hardware/software/ come out of the same factory as the iChargers - which are generally considered some of the best chargers around. On the Reaktor line, there are 10a, 20a, 30a models, some with AC, some DC only, and the 2-channel and 4-channel versions. (4 channels of 20a/300w power... drool...)

OTOH, I love hitec products too. Great quality, and I hear great CS (i've never needed it - never had a hitec product fail). They have a new charger - Power Peak D7 - 2-channel, AC/DC charger, 20a/200w per channel, $250. More money for a bit less power vs the Reaktor, but it is Hitec, and it is AC/DC - no extra PS needed.

Last edited:
I have a hitec X4 50w per channel charger and i can say if you are gonna charge 4s and up lipos get a 100w per charging port charger. Seems ive now out grown my hitec and will need to upgrade very soon.

I have a hitec X4 50w per channel charger and i can say if you are gonna charge 4s and up lipos get a 100w per charging port charger. Seems ive now out grown my hitec and will need to upgrade very soon.
I am now in the exact same boat with my X4 now that I am running 4s, 6s and 8s. I'm now looking into an X2 700 and parallel charging.

You can charge parallel, but it is better to charge serial or each Lipopack separate with an charger which have more than on output.
I use Schulze Next Generation, but i don't know that you can buy that charger outside of Germany.
The main thing was that my charger has a kind of id-connector which can programmed to different cell types, an other parameter.
It means that you can take any of my battery packs, put three connectors to the charger an push the start button.
No "surfing" in the menus necessary.

Maybe also look for a junsi charger. This charger can run on higher DC Voltage an can charge with high power!

Oh, by the way,.. all of my chargers are running on DC and i running an 1000W server power supply at home to get my DC voltage.

Sorry for my bad english, I´am from Germany and use the english language not so often.

Kind regards,
lonee

You can charge parallel, but it is better to charge serial or each Lipopack separate with an charger which have more than on output.
I use Schulze Next Generation, but i don't know that you can buy that charger outside of Germany.
The main thing was that my charger has a kind of id-connector which can programmed to different cell types, an other parameter.
It means that you can take any of my battery packs, put three connectors to the charger an push the start button.
No "surfing" in the menus necessary.

Maybe also look for a junsi charger. This charger can run on higher DC Voltage an can charge with high power!

Oh, by the way,.. all of my chargers are running on DC and i running an 1000W server power supply at home to get my DC voltage.

Sorry for my bad english, I´am from Germany and use the english language not so often.

Kind regards,
lonee
Everything that I have read online has actually said that charging parallel is far safer than charging in serial. Either way though I would need a charger that could charge two 12s batteries to keep up or one charger that can charge 12 batteries. I don't know of one of either that exists.

No Prob,
-> Thunder 1220
or hyperion 12s

there are several chargers which support up to 12s, but there all a little more expensive then smaller ones.

Oh, one more question, do you use the packs serial or parallel in you´re model?
if ist is serial, the same as me in my Nero Big Rock, so it is more safe to charge two 3S Lipos as an 6S with Balancer.
Same way with 2 x 6s -> 12s with balancer.
But if u using the packs parallel, so i want to suggest a charger wit 2-times 6s with balancer.
Parallel charging of two lipo-packs on one charger port can kill one of the packs if they are not matched.
It´s like 6s2p!

Regards,
lonee

No Prob,
-> Thunder 1220
or hyperion 12s

there are several chargers which support up to 12s, but there all a little more expensive then smaller ones.

Oh, one more question, do you use the packs serial or parallel in you´re model?
if ist is serial, the same as me in my Nero Big Rock, so it is more safe to charge two 3S Lipos as an 6S with Balancer.
Same way with 2 x 6s -> 12s with balancer.
But if u using the packs parallel, so i want to suggest a charger wit 2-times 6s with balancer.
Parallel charging of two LiPo-packs on one charger port can kill one of the packs if they are not matched.
It´s like 6s2p!

Regards,
lonee
Thanks! I'll check out those chargers. I use up to 8s in series in my Baja 5B SS and right now I'm stuck charging individual 2s packs and can't anywhere near keep up as I don't like charging over 1c.

Nothing is cooler than doing a storage charge at 400W of power into (4) 6S packs at the same time to finish out a bash session.

20170102_212321.jpg

Just a few months ago my only option to storage charge was 1A... As much money as we spend on these toys, you have to spend some cash on a really good charger and DC power supply. With my ISDT SC620 500W charger combo I can be out the door and heading to the top secret bash spot in about 40 minutes, with 1.5 X C charge rate, packs don't even get warm. Last weekend I parallel charged (2) 4S packs at 16A, charger fan came on halfway into the charge cycle. Only thing I noticed is you need a strong power supply to run these ISDT chargers any dip in the input voltage and they stop to protect the system.

By the way,...
An option for an cheep power supply is an old (or new) 12 power supply from a HP server with small mods.
But you need some electronic skills for that.
Some power supplies can run up to 1000W. It will be very useful if you have some dc-chargers while using just one power supply.
If you are using HV-junsi chargers, so you can put two of these power supplies in serial and you will have 24V / 1000W!
This configuration is often used from people which flying big RC-Helicopter or Drones with big LiPo´s.

@NITROMAN2000
do i guess right that you're config on the pic ist two times parallel?
Do you have matched packs?
I charge my 3s 5500mA or 2s 6000 packs most of the time in serial with up to 2C with balancer.
So it is a 6s or 4s pack but you will need an modified balancer connector.
In future i will make me an connector board which will habe the xt90 in serial and also 4 and 6s balancer connectors on it.
So there is no option to connect it wrong. I just need a little bit time to do that but my work will be against that.... :-(

Regards,
lonee

I hope that was a typo when you said serial connection. What you want is parallel connection for your batteries. The cells literally balance each other, but you need a charger that can push some amps, otherwise you will be charging for ever...

I started parallel charging when I started flying quads more regularly. I mean you are taking 6 to 12 batteries to the field even with a quad charger that would take forever, unless you parallel charge. So I got in the habit of parallel charging 9 to 12 batteries at a time.

Get you a couple of xt60 parallel boards from HK and never look back. Those ISDT chargers will display each cell voltage as soon as you plug the pack in, so all it takes is a few seconds to verify the cells on the packs are close enough to parallel charge.
I only parallel charge packs that are the same type and capacity. Be on the lookout for packs that discharge with an un-even cell, this is a sign you are running them too long or hard or the pack needs to be replaced.

Typically I don't see more than 0.15 volt difference on cells in a pack, but you can go up to .3 per cell, the charger will take care of the details. I would say anything more than .3 cell to cell in a pack after discharge and you should retire the pack, or use it on a low drain device.

With the high power chargers the trend I'm seeing is 24V power supplies. The typical 15V power supplies don't let all the chargers develop the rates max power. My 1000W power supply is 17V the higher the voltage the more efficient your chargers become. The new higher power chargers can go up to 30V now.

I hope that was a typo when you said serial connection. What you want is parallel connection for your batteries. The cells literally balance each other, but you need a charger that can push some amps, otherwise you will be charging for ever...

I started parallel charging when I started flying quads more regularly. I mean you are taking 6 to 12 batteries to the field even with a quad charger that would take forever, unless you parallel charge. So I got in the habit of parallel charging 9 to 12 batteries at a time.

Get you a couple of xt60 parallel boards from HK and never look back. Those ISDT chargers will display each cell voltage as soon as you plug the pack in, so all it takes is a few seconds to verify the cells on the packs are close enough to parallel charge.
I only parallel charge packs that are the same type and capacity. Be on the lookout for packs that discharge with an un-even cell, this is a sign you are running them too long or hard or the pack needs to be replaced.

Typically I don't see more than 0.15 volt difference on cells in a pack, but you can go up to .3 per cell, the charger will take care of the details. I would say anything more than .3 cell to cell in a pack after discharge and you should retire the pack, or use it on a low drain device.

With the high power chargers the trend I'm seeing is 24V power supplies. The typical 15V power supplies don't let all the chargers develop the rates max power. My 1000W power supply is 17V the higher the voltage the more efficient your chargers become. The new higher power chargers can go up to 30V now.
That's what I have always heard too is that parallel charging is ok since the cells all balance out and stay balanced while charging but series charging is not good as it forces all the power through the first battery so the first battery would be getting current at a way higher rate than the last battery in the chain. I ordered most of my stuff from progressiverc.com, like the parallel leads with bare wires and the parallel balance adapters, except the charger which I went with the Hitec X2 700. I figure parallel charging is what progressiverc.com seems like they specialize in so one would think that they know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
I hope that was a typo when you said serial connection. What you want is parallel connection for your batteries.
Ehm,.. no, i wrote what i mean. I charge my packs in serial. Like i do use them in the Nero Big Rock.
Two 3s -> one 6s pack and two 2s -> 4s. Sure that i use packs with the same capacity! Otherwise it makes no sense.
I use some german Lipo-chargers for example: Next Gen or Chameleon from the company Schulze and also some HV-junsi.
This kind of connection will allow me to charge my 6s pack (2 x 3s 5500mA) with 11A or my 4s (2 x 2s 6000mA) as an 4s up to 14A.
In this configuration also each cell voltage will be matched by the balancer of the charger.
In earlier time when i started with e-Powerboats i had some bad issues with parallel charging from LiPo packs if there was not matched.

Generally I am with you. One very important point is a good charger in our hobby which can cover different types of cells and can run higher power.!

If sometimes my writing is not so correct, so I am sorry for that,
I am not writing so often in english language.
Otherwise we can also discuss in german! ;)

Regard,
lonee

Back