Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you even pull 2000w out of a standard wall outlet?
it can but you are at the limit of 15amp breaker. On a 20 amp plug it can no problem but 15 amp is pushing it. I wouldn't run it for more than an hour the wire in the wall will get warm. And only the charger can run on that breaker, if anything else is daisy chained off that plug or breaker it will pop when the charger hits 2000w

Time to get serious about charging

7D5CBB78-F932-41E1-8777-226505F99000.png

You should have gone with at least a 600w psu not 500w. Even if that psu is 80+ certified it will only put out about 400w max. Or just make sure you don't exceed 400w.
Nah he's good. That PSU is rated for 24V at 21A output, 504W.

Nah he's good. That PSU is rated for 24V at 21A output, 504W.
Power supplies also lose some of the power they supply as heat, a measure called efficiency. An 80 percent efficiency, meaning that 80 percent of the rated wattage is provided as power and 20 percent is lost as heat, is considered good. Some power supplies will have an 80-Plus certification logo, indicating they are at least 80 percent efficient. 80% of 500w is 400w.

-edit- efficiency is listed as 89% for these.

Last edited:
Power supplies also lose some of the power they supply as heat, a measure called efficiency. An 80 percent efficiency, meaning that 80 percent of the rated wattage is provided as power and 20 percent is lost as heat, is considered good. Some power supplies will have an 80-Plus certification logo, indicating they are at least 80 percent efficient. 80% of 500w is 400w.
Correct, but you've got the calculation wrong. The efficiency doesn't reduce the output power, but rather increases the input power. In this case, the PSU is rated to provide 21A at 24V, for a total of 504W. Assuming the PSU is 80% efficient, that would mean the PSU will pull 630W of power from the wall.

It wouldn't make sense to say on a label that a PSU can provide 500W of power, but then de-rate the PSU per its efficiency rating.

It depends on the Vendor. Typically the advertised rating should be the Output capacity. 500W = 500W useable.
Some advertise the input power in order to not overload the circuits.
Basically down to advertising. Look for rated output value. 500W output is roughly 600W input (pending efficiency)

It depends on the Vendor. Typically the advertised rating should be the Output capacity. 500W = 500W useable.
Some advertise the input power in order to not overload the circuits.
Basically down to advertising. Look for rated output value. 500W output is roughly 600W input (pending efficiency)
I've never seen one advertise input power w/o advertising output. How odd. Gotta love marketing. LOL

I've never seen one advertise input power w/o advertising output. How odd. Gotta love marketing. LOL
I remember back in the day the cheap Chinese pc power supplies did this, that is probably where I was getting confused. They would list something like 600w but the actual power output would be closer to like 500w.

I remember back in the day the cheap Chinese pc power supplies did this, that is probably where I was getting confused. They would list something like 600w but the actual power output would be closer to like 480w.
yeah I remember something about that. IIRC those were also fire hazards. LOL

Tired of taking hours to prep for speed runs. Hoping to charge my 9500mah 4S packs at >1C. Right now I’m limited to about 6.5A with my current charger.

As far as PSU choices, if I end up needing larger supplies, I will send these back and upgrade. Meanwell is a decent brand.

Tired of taking hours to prep for speed runs. Hoping to charge my 9500mah 4S packs at >1C. Right now I’m limited to about 6.5A with my current charger.

As far as PSU choices, if I end up needing larger supplies, I will send these back and upgrade. Meanwell is a decent brand.
I just hope for your ears sake that your PSU is quieter than mine. I've got a 24V 1000W PSU from MeanWell, and even idle it sounds like a jet engine.

I just hope for your ears sake that your PSU is quieter than mine. I've got a 24V 1000W PSU from MeanWell, and even idle it sounds like a jet engine.
It will be in the garage next to my air compressor and server rack which are both already annoyingly loud. Will fit right in.

Back