Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hope for your ears sake that your PSU is quieter than mine. I've got a 24V 1000W PSU from MeanWell, and even idle it sounds like a jet engine.
That's the way the dells are when at idle. The fans run at 100% until there's a 3-4 amp load on the PSU, then they calm down. Sucks when discharging and for the last 5-10 minutes of balance charging. I sold mine off and built my own out of some HP PSU's. Much quieter, even under 30A load.
HP DPS-1200FB-1A
2020-1117-24vPSU-HP-DPS-1200FB-1A.jpg

vs these:
Dell N870P
2020-0611-PSU-Dell-N870P-Dual-72A-12V%2624V.jpg

Tired of taking hours to prep for speed runs. Hoping to charge my 9500mah 4S packs at >1C. Right now I’m limited to about 6.5A with my current charger.

As far as PSU choices, if I end up needing larger supplies, I will send these back and upgrade. Meanwell is a decent brand.
IIRC Meanwell is an actual OEM for power supplies, a lot of companies rebrand their units.

Ok, time to wire up these things. What size gauge wire should I run between the PSU and the ISDT? Was thinking biggest that fits the XT60 connector. Wire length can be super short as the charge leads can be made to length anyways. I plan on using crimp on rings for the PSU side and the chargers take XT60. For the AC side I’m just going to use standard IEC cables with crimp on rings too. I have tons of IEC cables from PCs.

500W 20A
I'd do 12 AWG. You can always go larger.
I was trying to decide between 10awg and 12awg. Looks like xt60 takes up to 12awg. I think I have some silicone high strand 12awg left over from my amp install.

Ended up using some 8awg low strand wire I had on hand. I didn’t have enough of the high strand stuff I had. I think this will be ok. These will be wall mounted and won’t likely ever travel. I 3D printed the wall brackets and used dual lock to hold the chargers.

AC3C597A-4630-4A4A-A34F-65B0E1F48BD1.jpeg
21F0D78C-FCC4-4BC4-85CA-E9A1CC25B013.jpeg
86AF2F3C-306F-4E5A-B823-3A512155E398.jpeg

E4EA6AFD-396A-447D-82E4-4002FDF9A942.jpeg

6FDE2828-A37F-4E32-B612-3DA83B8AF12C.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you guys protect your batteries? I have (3) 3s batteries and (1) 6s. I have seen online that Lipo safe bags are rubbish. Looking for something not too ugly. I have seen people use cinder blocks or whatever. Looking to put this in the garage we will be renovating in the summer. TIA

How do you guys protect your batteries? I have (3) 3s batteries and (1) 6s. I have seen online that Lipo safe bags are rubbish. Looking for something not too ugly. I have seen people use cinder blocks or whatever. Looking to put this in the garage we will be renovating in the summer. TIA
Steel 50cal ammo cans

I kept a large pot from our old pots and pans when I got my wife new ones. If it can take the stove and oven for extended time it should be able to handle lipos. Way better than a ”safe bag”, most of those are a total joke

Lipo bag when charging and a steel ammo can otherwise. Walmart sells steel ammo cans for like 50 bucks. Make sure your garage is air conditioned, don't want to put it in a metal can that can get real hot or real cold. (Source: AZ)

Ammo can. Be aware though - If you decide to get an ammo can, remove the seals before storing the batteries in it. Otherwise if a battery decides that it wants to be a little flammable, the box could end up causing a fire when the lid blows off.

Man these chargers are a game changer. Went from over an hour to charge 4S packs to 16mins 😱

My SkyRC B6 Duo Nano can do up to 10A in single channel mode or about 6.6A running dual channel. These IDST chargers push the full 20A without blinking. 🤘🏻

Man these chargers are a game changer. Went from over an hour to charge 4S packs to 16mins 😱

My SkyRC B6 Duo Nano can do up to 10A in single channel mode or about 6.6A running dual channel. These IDST chargers push the full 20A without blinking. 🤘🏻

ISDT makes great chargers. Shame they could die off as Spektrum expands. Are your batteries capable of that kind of charge rate? I'm a big baby when it comes to the charge rate on my batteries haha. Great setup though.

My Turnigy Graphene battery can go 5C according to the label. Charges from dead empty to full in less than 15 minutes LOL. High-Power chargers are awesome. With 3/4 batteries you can literally go all day and give the "All I have to do is fuel up" Nitro guys a run for their money.

Back