Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its 4 channel meaning you can do 4 packs at once. Dc only though which is understandable since it has a high output. You will need a power supply to run it. Or use a deep cycle marine battery if your at the track. Do you need the 4 channel vs 2 channel?
Thanks for the reply. I was just reading the 'what charger do I need' thread on here and it mentioned future-proofing, so I thought that might be a good idea.

Right now I only need two charging ports and a charger that is at least 150w per channel for the 6s lipos.

So you would be looking for a 2 channel 300watt A/C charger. (150w per channel)
Or an AC/DC 2 Ch. charger, that could handle a separate DC 300w+ Power Supply Unit. (PSU). A 24 volt PSU is mandatory, not just the higher wattage. For large 6s bricks.
I run the Hobbymate D6 Duo Pro with a 24volt/400wat DC PSU. I have a pair of these now. So I can charge (4) 6s lipos fast. Within 40 min from 3.8v ( storage volts) to 4.2v.( charged) I always charge at a 1C rate. And 200w per 6s lipo is fine for me.
There are so many chargers out there.

Last edited:
I think its important to have a plan on how you will charge your Lipos. Most people I've found charge at 1C. The max you would need is realistically around 200 watts per channel. I have a Revolectrix GT 500 Duo, 500 watts each channel, and a massive 1350 Venom Pro-Power DC power supply. I have never ever come close to using the available power of either. There was one time where I charged 2, 5200 6s packs @ 2C, and 4-3S 6000 lipos at 1C, and I was still only pulling like 850 watts from the PSU.
Point is, don't go overkill for the sake of going overkill. I have $700 in my charging setup and I almost never utilize it. I actually just picked up a D6 Pro and it does 90% of what I need and its 1/5 the size of my other rig.

Hota F6 is good but you will need a DC supply.
Personally I'd go with Hota D6+ which works with AC and DC.
2 channels is sufficient. I ended up buying an additional.
Convenience and versatility over a 4 port and DC supply. I charge in multiple locations.

Hota F6 is good but you will need a DC supply.
Personally I'd go with Hota D6+ which works with AC and DC.
2 channels is sufficient. I ended up buying an additional.
Convenience and versatility over a 4 port and DC supply. I charge in multiple locations.
The D6 Pro comes with a 200w AC PSU.

D6± has 150W per channel or 300W on AC, hence my recommendation. Does even more on DC.
I was thinking about getting F6 as well but wasn't for me.

The D6 Pro comes with a 200w AC PSU.
Yes 200 watts total , but is really just 100w per channel. ( on AC) Watts are divided by 2 channels when charging 2 lipos. If charging on one Ch only, 200 will be available on that channel. The HM D6 Duo Pro has a well rated quality 30v/200watt internal PSU. FWIW Check the reviews. I run 2 of these on their own PSU's. I can charge 4 6s lipos in less than 1 hour. Fast enough for me at 1C rates.
I think 200w per channel would be a minimum for most 6s lipos. Need 400watt total.
Best is a 24volt DC PSU with 400w at least. 600w PSUs are common.
I can't stress enough that you need a 24v DC PSU at a minimum. Especially for higher voltage/capacity packs. It is not just Watts that count for faster charging. Don't use 12v PSU's which are more commonly found. Don't overlook this.
Sure it is, just not quickly. You can charge 6S with 50 watts if you had to.
You could even charge with 15 watts also. :LOL:The Lipos will charge.(y)
Just you will be charging well below 1C rates though. Very slow charging.:((n)
At 1C rates, 6s lipo's charged inside of 45min is truly fast IMHO. Based on Amp Hour specs.
Charging from 3.4v/cell will obviously take longer. I base my times from 3.8v ( storage volts) to full charge ( 4.2v)
Many like to charge at 2c and above. Just need the PSU to keep up with it. Some lipos are labled as such. Stating max possible C rate above 1c it can handle.
1C is the Lipo industry standard though. I stay with that.
At the track many guys need to charge faster, well above 1c rates, to make race schedule heat times. They go through lipos quickly and replace them more often. For bashing, 1c makes the lipos last longer IMHO. My spin.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, much appreciated. Now to look up the Hota D6 Pro vs Plus vs Duo.

I think the D6 Plus is the one for me. 300w on AC meaning I can charge two 6s at the same time at 1c (I think, i'm learning a lot about battery charging but it's still all new to me).

What PSU would you guys recommend too? I guess i'll need something about 700w if I want to use all the capabilities of the 625w DC and have a little to spare. (And then there's the problem of how do I charge at the track if they don't have power available) Ugh, i'm seriously considering just going back to Nitro! ><

Last edited:
Sure it is, just not quickly. You can charge 6S with 50 watts if you had to.
Sorry I meant at 1c.
Yes 200 watts total , but is really just 100w per channel. ( on AC) Watts are divided by 2 channels when charging 2 lipos. If charging on one Ch only, 200 will be available on that channel. The HM D6 Duo Pro has a well rated quality 30v/200watt internal PSU. FWIW Check the reviews. I run 2 of these on their own PSU's. I can charge 4 6s lipos in less than 1 hour. Fast enough for me at 1C rates.
I think 200w per channel would be a minimum for most 6s lipos. Need 400watt total.
I can't stress enough that you need a 24v DC PSU at a minimum. Especially for higher voltage/capacity packs. It is not just Watts that count for faster charging. Don't use 12v PSU's which are more commonly found. Don't overlook this.

At 1C rates, 6s lipo's charged inside of 45min is truly fast IMHO. Based on Amp Hour specs.
Charging from 3.4v/cell will obviously take longer. I base my times from 3.8v ( storage volts) to full charge ( 4.2v)
Many like to charge at 2c and above. Just need the PSU to keep up with it. Some lipos are labled as such. Stating max possible C rate above 1c it can handle.
At the track many guys need to charge faster, well above 1c rates, to make race schedule heat times. They go through lipos quickly and replace them more often. For bashing, 1c makes the lipos last longer IMHO. My spin.
Strangely my charger is limited to 18v and not 24v. 18v power supplies can be found but aren't as common so I went with a 12v as it has plenty of oomph to keep up with my charging demands.

I bought some of those Zop Power lipos a few years ago and asked the seller what the max charge C rate was they told me 0.5c :ROFLMAO:

I think you missed the part where I said I have a 1350W 24V 60A power supply? My point was, you don't always have to go all out on chargers. For people who are charging multiple 6S packs routinely, sure, 200w minimum per channel is preferred. But how many people use dual 3S packs instead? Now, 100w per channel is just fine. What I had stated above is my GT500 Duo has never been necessary to charge my batteries and you should really focus on what you need vs what everyone on the internet tells you that you must have.

I personally don't know a single person that charges above 1C. I have done it on occasion but it was mostly to prove to myself that this giant Power Supply wasn't a complete waste of money.

I think the D6 Plus is the one for me. 300w on AC meaning I can charge two 6s at the same time at 1c (I think, i'm learning a lot about battery charging but it's still all new to me).

What PSU would you guys recommend too? I guess i'll need something about 700w if I want to use all the capabilities of the 625w DC and have a little to spare. (And then there's the problem of how do I charge at the track if they don't have power available) Ugh, i'm seriously considering just going back to Nitro! ><
D6 Duo = DC only - $95
D6 Pro = AC/DC with built in 200w AC power supply (100w x 2) - $102
D6 + = AC/DC with built in 300W AC power supply (150x2) - $130

I believe all 3 go up to 650W with a DC power supply. I would also suggest if you go the route of a DC power supply, get one with an adjustable voltage regulator. My Venom goes from 12-24V, one of my old quad chargers only takes 18V so without the adjustable voltage I wouldn't be able to use it.

Last edited:
I think you missed the part where I said I have a 1350W 24V 60A power supply? My point was, you don't always have to go all out on chargers. For people who are charging multiple 6S packs routinely, sure, 200w minimum per channel is preferred. But how many people use dual 3S packs instead? Now, 100w per channel is just fine. What I had stated above is my GT500 Duo has never been necessary to charge my batteries and you should really focus on what you need vs what everyone on the internet tells you that you must have.

I personally don't know a single person that charges above 1C. I have done it on occasion but it was mostly to prove to myself that this giant Power Supply wasn't a complete waste of money.

Buying a charger based on what you need can be good or bad depending on how deep into this hobby you go. I always suggest that you buy a charger that exceeds your current needs so you don't have to go out and buy another charger when you end up getting more and bigger batteries.

When I bought my first charger I had 2 2s lipos. I said to myself there is no need for me to buy a $100+ charger if I'm only going to be charging 2 batteries. So I bought myself a Skyrc B6AC knockoff off eBay for $20. But then I bought more cars and more batteries. That came back to bite me in the butt. You ever try to charge 4 2s lipos and 4 3s lipos off a 50w charger? It takes forever.

I've been using 2 Hota's D6 with one 750watt 12v psu for years now and can charge 2*5000 and 2*6000 6s lipo's at 1c, no problem.
The chargers combined still put out max. 30 amps at 25 volt with this psu. More than enough for my needs.

It's even more important to do the math before you buy a charger (or ask for help).

Buying a charger based on what you need can be good or bad depending on how deep into this hobby you go. I always suggest that you buy a charger that exceeds your current needs so you don't have to go out and buy another charger when you end up getting more and bigger batteries.

When I bought my first charger I had 2 2s lipos. I said to myself there is no need for me to buy a $100+ charger if I'm only going to be charging 2 batteries. So I bought myself a Skyrc B6AC knockoff off eBay for $20. But then I bought more cars and more batteries. That came back to bite me in the butt. You ever try to charge 4 2s lipos and 4 3s lipos off a 50w charger? It takes forever.
That's a good callout. If you are only on 2S you should think about future proofing. But if you are already charging 6S packs, that's basically the maximum. I don't see us going to 8S hardcase packs anytime soon. :)

I have a total of 3 DC chargers, Venom Pro Power supply, and then just recently the Hota D6 Pro w/200w AC PSU built in. My point was at this point, I use the Hota more than I do the billy badass charger setup, because I went big initially and it's just sort of un-needed overkill.

I've been using 2 Hota's D6 with one 750watt 12v psu for years now and can charge 2*5000 and 2*6000 6s lipo's at 1c, no problem.
The chargers combined still put out max. 30 amps at 25 volt with this psu. More than enough for my needs.

It's even more important to do the math before you buy a charger (or ask for help).
I've been running my Hitec X2 400 and Thunder AC860 off of a 12v 75a 900w psu since 2017 and I haven't had any issues either. I'm nowhere near maxing that thing out.

So now i've decided on a Hota D6+ (huge thanks everyone for your detailed and useful comments), What out-of-home charging solution would you recommend for that for a track that don't have power? Deep Cycle Marine Battery? (If so, how do I charge that, and which marine battery to get?)

Sorry for all the questions.

So now i've decided on a Hota D6+ (huge thanks everyone for your detailed and useful comments), What out-of-home charging solution would you recommend for that for a track that don't have power? Deep Cycle Marine Battery? (If so, how do I charge that, and which marine battery to get?)

Sorry for all the questions.
Take the HOTA charger with you to the track. No need for a second charger, unless you just want to keep one in the car. I have an ICharger 4010 duo on the bench and have a few others that I use on the road. You can charge off your cars battery, but you have to leave the motor running or it will destroy your car battery in no time. I would get the biggest marine battery you can carry! LoL. You can charge the marine battery with the HOTA D6 when you are at home.

Bring a Marine 12 volt battery. Or best case, 2 of them in series. (24 volts) Some say charging from a Lead acid battery actually has much cleaner voltage. No spikes. Unlike some regulated PSU's can have. I can't confirm or deny this though. But makes much sense to me.
Deep cycle LA batteries don't come cheap.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back