Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not amps that's the issue, it's the watts. You want at least 150W per channel if you're doing 6S 9Ah batteries.
To be fair, it's both since volts x amps = watts with current being one of the factors in calculating the product power. Granted, amps can be substituted with volts (if you're powering your charger off of a DC input, on AC voltage will be fixed at either 115-120V or 230-240V depending on where you call home).

To be fair, it's both since volts x amps = watts with current being one of the factors in calculating the product power. Granted, amps can be substituted with volts (if you're powering your charger off of a DC input, on AC voltage will be fixed at either 115-120V or 230-240V depending on where you call home).

Yeah, P=VI, but the point is that the amp output rating is pretty useless. Lots of chargers including the one complained about (Dynamite Passport) advertise 10A output, but the reason they suck is because that rating is useless without a high enough wattage output. This is a super common mistake people make when buying chargers.

Actually my calculation was wrong -- if you want to charge 6S 9000mAh batteries in less than an hour, you really want more like 25.2V x 9A = 225 watt+ output.

Yeah, P=VI, but the point is that the amp output rating is pretty useless. Lots of chargers including the one complained about (Dynamite Passport) advertise 10A output, but the reason they suck is because that rating is useless without a high enough wattage output. This is a super common mistake people make when buying chargers.

Actually my calculation was wrong -- if you want to charge 6S 9000mAh batteries in less than an hour, you really want more like 25.2V x 9A = 225 watt+ output.
I don't know, I think it's a bit limiting to look at just one rating or the other. You need to look at both to get the full picture.

For instance, my smaller charger is 250W, 10A. But because it's only 10A (as opposed to the next model up that was 250W/20A), it can only hit the full output wattage if charging 6S. When I only had 3S packs, I'd charge them in parallel at 10A, maxing out the current, but I'd only be using half of the 250W output.

And agreed, there are plenty of chargers that are the other way, like 5A/50W. You'd only hit 5A charging 1S or 2S, in that example.

But if you want to know how fast you'll be able to charge, look at both limits, and compare both amps and watts, to the type of charging you want to achieve. For instance, if you want to charge 6S 9000mAh at 1C, you need both 9A, and 227W. A 10A, 250W charger will get you there. But if you're short on either value, amps or watts, that will slow you down.

Yeah, I think you’re both right. If you’re trying to charge a 35,000Mah 1S battery, you will generally be current limited (4V x 20A = 80w)

When you’re charging 6S batteries, it’s generally more likely you run into the power limit like @razorrc example. So his point is a good one. It is fairly likely that a typical user with a typical charger is going to run into a watt limit first.

Screenshot_20230408_105522_Amazon Shopping.jpg
thoughts?

thoughts?
Only good for 2S or 3S. ^S you will end up with extreme long charge times. You would want minimum 150W/channel.
Only recommendations are HOTA or ISDT chargers, all the rest is good for 2-3S batteries.

Look for watt per channel on AC (minimum 150W PER channel, above is 75W).

images.jpeg

The new gensacearespammers. imars dual looks promising to me. The brand built a name with its battery's and the specs seem okay for my needs.

gens-ace-r-spam Imars Dual Channel AC/DC Smart Balance RC Battery Charger, capable of 15 amp charge rates, worldwide 100V-240V voltage versatility, AC 200 Watts, DC 600 Watts. Lightweight design allows you to quickly charge the battery anywhere, anytime.

Gens ♠️ Dual is the old one, but they just released the D300 today which is 300W on AC (150W/channel), 700W on DC.

I have one, it's actually pretty nice. It's got the Smart technology which is whatever, but at $129.99 it's super compact and I like it a little bit better than my HOTA D6+.

Affiliate link: https://bit.ly/3c4z3qV

Last edited:
I have 4S 5500mAh batteries and a duo charger capable of 100W 10A. When i duo charge it doenst have enough power to charge both batteries at 5.5A and it stays at 3.4A per battery roughly. That is not a problem right ? Except that it take a little longer to charge ofcourse ?

I have 4S 5500mAh batteries and a duo charger capable of 100W 10A. When i duo charge it doenst have enough power to charge both batteries at 5.5A and it stays at 3.4A per battery roughly. That is not a problem right ? Except that it take a little longer to charge ofcourse ?
Correct. Not hurting anything, just takes longer to charge. Make sure you're balance charging every time and should be fine.

Gens ♠️ Dual is the old one, but they just released the D300 today which is 300W on AC (150W/channel), 700W on DC.

I have one, it's actually pretty nice. It's got the Smart technology which is whatever, but at $129.99 it's super compact and I like it a little bit better than my HOTA D6+.

Affiliate link: https://bit.ly/3c4z3qV

That's alot of charger for the money!! If I hadn't just bought an Hota S6.. I'd be on it, thanks for sharing.👍

+1,
Thats why I always say to shoot for a 200 watt Charger ( at a minimum per channel), or use a proper PSU to do that. This will future proof your charger purchase. At a 1C charge rate, a decent charger should always charge in aprox 1 hour at most or less. Talking a 6s brick/6k Mah average sized lipo that has hit LVC and ready to reharge. Charging same pack that has 3.8v/cell, ( 50% charged) should take aprox 30 min. Give or take. How I been charging off my ISDT K2 Air and a 24v/400watt PSU. Same with my HM D6 Duo Pro and also a separate PSU.

Last edited:
A month or so ago, HH put the 8s "kit" on sale. Was $240 from the usual sites but for whatever reason HH had them at $190 on ebay. 2x4s 5000mah 100c (G1) smart batteries plus S2100 charger. I alerted my brother to the deal, he bought 2, gifted one to me. Sweet!
So, I been using the S2100 alongside my Hota S6, I made leads for the S2100 so I can charge any of my batteries not just IC5/EC5..
I have to say, it's a good charger so far, actually finishes my packs faster than the S6 surprisingly. I'm not crazy for the interface, actually hate the spinny "ipod" type wheel but, it performs quite well. I charge all my stuff at 5A, which is 1C or less.. the fans were chattering right out of the box at startup, goes away after a minute or 2. The batteries are pretty decent too.
Best of all is free!! Thanks bro!!

Hey all... it's been a while but I'm in need of a new charger... my Venom ProQuad decided to stop displaying anything, so I'm without charged batteries. Would like to go with another quad that takes the bullet leads since I've got all that setup already, but what's really important is the Watts per channel as I like to keep a couple of 6s ready to go while I bash. I appreciate any and all suggestions as what I see on amazon and other places makes my head spin or they look like janky knock offs. Not afraid to pay but I want to know what I'm getting will last and can keep going long past my son goes to college!

Hey all... it's been a while but I'm in need of a new charger... my Venom ProQuad decided to stop displaying anything, so I'm without charged batteries. Would like to go with another quad that takes the bullet leads since I've got all that setup already, but what's really important is the Watts per channel as I like to keep a couple of 6s ready to go while I bash. I appreciate any and all suggestions as what I see on amazon and other places makes my head spin or they look like janky knock offs. Not afraid to pay but I want to know what I'm getting will last and can keep going long past my son goes to college!
Look at the post above you. ;)

Hota S6 is one of the best AC chargers you can get in terms of it's ability to charge iirc up to 2x 6s 7000mah lipo at 1c. Cost about 160$ or so but it's a great charger! I have the previous version and bought 2 of them because it was so awesome. The s6 is even better and can do 100 watts more.

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=689

Look at the post above you. ;)
Thanks! I did have a look but it's been discontinued and not available anywhere.
I've been looking around and not really seeing a whole lot matching my preferences... high watts, 4 channels, and bullet connector for charging leads.
Do see a lot of folks on here liking HOTA D6, but that's only two channels, and doesn't provide any charging leads with the charger... 200W is good, but the HOTA S6 is probably slightly better at 400W but again no charging leads...
Also looked at gens-ace-r-spam D300 similar setup to the HOTA but at300W and comes with some charging connector options (I've got a mash up of different connections and rigs and don't want to futz with making them all one connector).

Guess there aren't any decent 4 channel chargers anymore?
Hota S6 is one of the best AC chargers you can get in terms of it's ability to charge iirc up to 2x 6s 7000mah lipo at 1c. Cost about 160$ or so but it's a great charger! I have the previous version and bought 2 of them because it was so awesome. The s6 is even better and can do 100 watts more.

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=689
Thanks! Yeah I use SMC batteries and saw the charger there and in other posts on here... How have they held up and any issues with them? know anyone who got the S6?

Back