Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using a Hitec X2 AC but that had a accident... And the screen stopped working. Haha
I am now using a EV Peak CQ3 quad charger. It works great and haven't had any issues. It's great being able to charge 4 batteries at once.

I have Venom duo pro and using it for the first time now. First channel I have 5000mah balance charging at 4.5amp. Second channel I have 7400mah set to balance charge at 6.5amp but it only hit about 5.2amp. I set them both to 4.5amp after I saw that.

This is my first time charging a LiPo and from what I understand I’m below 1c on both batteries. Shouldn’t the second channel with 7400mah be able to hit the 6.5amp I set? Also should each cell read 4.20v when it’s fully charged?

Thanks!

Yes 4.20 when uts fully charged

I set my 4s 5000mah
To 5.0 amps charging

Not sure how high is the setting charged on your charger
But i set mine depends on the mah

If its 6000mah
Ill set it 6.0

Yes 4.20 when uts fully charged

I set my 4s 5000mah
To 5.0 amps charging

Not sure how high is the setting charged on your charger
But i set mine depends on the mah

If its 6000mah
Ill set it 6.0

Thanks. It can charge up to 7amp just not sure why it didn’t reach that. Battery charged up fine. Guess I see what happens next time.

Thanks. It can charge up to 7amp just not sure why it didn’t reach that. Battery charged up fine. Guess I see what happens next time.
You are being limited by the 80 watts of charging. I am guessing that you are charging 4s batteries, correct? If so you have 4 cells at 3.7 volts, so 14.8 volts total. 80 watts divided by 14.8 volts = 5.4 amp maximum charge rate that your charger will allow. If you were charging 2s batteries you could achieve the 7 amp charge rate.

anyone have the dynamite quad 100w charger?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...et-sport-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-charger-dync2050
thoughts on this one?
I know this is an older post, but just thought I'd post my experience with it. I've been using mine for over a year and it's been great so far. I don't use the power switch as I have it plugged into a power strip, so it's always on as are my other smaller NiMH chargers I use for my transmitter and small 25w 2s micro lipo charger. I use the power strip to turn everything on/off.

Been using it to charge SMC 2S packs, 7400, 9000, 9500. I did buy balance board extensions because of how I have the charger on my stand so I could lay the packs out in front of it. I ziptied the charge power leads and balance leads together to avoid getting things mixed up. I also use deans->traxxas and ec3->traxxas adapters. I didn't feel like cutting off what was on them and since it's only pushing 10A, I figured using an adapter wasn't that bad:
Start:
2017-0115-DynamiteDYNC2050-01-Start.jpg

Finish:
2017-0115-DynamiteDYNC2050-03-FullCharge.jpg

I recently purchased a HTRC H150 AC/DC Duo to keep in my car for charging on 12V while out bashing. My car has the battery in the trunk and I ran 12AWG leads from it directly to the charger. My only gripes so far is that it didn't have a power switch and the XT60 was kind of snug. So, to avoid damaging the solder joints on the wire or charger over time, I took the charger apart and put a 40A switch inline with the DC input. Also, the charger may not last long, more on that further down

This was before the switch, I made a little platform to velcro it to that sits on top of a milk crate type storage container in my trunk that holds trunk stuff (floor jack, paper towels, jumper cables, etc):
2018-0326-HTRC-H150ACDCDuo.jpg

The switch, this was the only place I could find on the charger where the switch leads inside wouldn't interfere with the charger. I probably should have just found an inline switch and put it in the power wire... if this charger dies, I may do that.
2018-0328-HTRC-H150ACDCDuoSwitchInstalled01.jpg

I had an issue with the HTRC on the 5th time it was used. My bashing buddy plugged his packs into it before turning it on. Up until that point, I always turned it on, the screens would boot (if you want to call it that, show a htrc website message, then land where you left off last), then plugged packs in. I had tested it prior on my bench with AC to charge up pairs of my 7400 and 9000 2S packs to make sure it was working as expected. The other few times I used it were on DC in my car, I charged mine and his packs. Every time, I turned it on before plugging in the packs. Then, when he used it, he plugged in his packs and then turned the charger on, port 2 froze up, the fans kicked on and stayed on. Tried turning it off/on a few times, but port 2 was stuck on a weird screen I hadn't seen telling me the hardware and software versions. Later when I got home, I took it upstairs and tried fiddling with it a bit. In a fit of frustration, I unplugged it, pushed and held a button, plugged it in, unplugged pushed/held another and plugged in, did that for all the buttons on port 2. Then the last button, it turned on and booted up like it was supposed to. Then I test charged a couple packs and now it seems fine. So, time will tell.

The HTRC does seem to perform as specified. It outputs 12A per port on AC or 12V DC. When using the "standard" balance mode, it does stop when the cells are at 4.2V. The fans kick in when they need to when it's cranking out more than 4A+. I only got it so I wouldn't have to needlessly cycle my packs. Before, I was charging up 10 packs to run for the day and if I broke something, I'd have to discharge whatever was left on my charger. Now I can just charge up 4 or 6 before I go out and cycle them in the field as needed. Figured this may help get the most life out of the packs and not cycle them when I don't use them. Also, my bashing buddy with the Talion only has 2 packs, so this makes it so he doesn't have to end the day when he runs them dead. 20 minutes on the charger and his 5000mah packs are charged back up.

Last edited:
I was using a Hitec X2 AC but that had a accident... And the screen stopped working. Haha
I am now using a EV Peak CQ3 quad charger. It works great and haven't had any issues. It's great being able to charge 4 batteries at once.
That EV Peak CQ3 4x100w looks pretty much identical to the dynamite 4x100 charger. Also has the same specs. I almost bought it, but spent the extra $ and got the dynamite because I knew the name. lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTRC-AC-24...377229&hash=item25f3ac58bc:g:A9kAAOSwPzhaK4lm

any one have advice on this. i was reading up on here? $65.00 is not bad. I am wit ha tenirgy B6 5A is its highest takes over an hour plus to do one 5200mah 7.4, takes 2 plus or longer in parallel charging so either way they get done single same time. I like my tenirgy cause it is quiet. lol
I have this one in my car as my field charger:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTRC-H150-...424698?hash=item3d6447afba:g:fhIAAOSwinZa8~m3

It does what's listed, 12A x 2 on AC or DC. I tested it on AC to see how it did in case I decided to get another for charging inside. I don't use it for discharging, but it does discharge. Just make sure to plug the charger in and turn it on (if it has an on/off switch, mine doesn't) before plugging packs into it. My bashing buddy plugged his packs into it then turned the charger on in my car and one of the ports got stuck in a boot menu. I fiddled with it on AC for an hour and eventually hit the right button at the right time and it came back. Other than that hiccup, it's worked fine for 30+ cycles so far.

I took mine apart and put in a 40A switch. Was a pain and I wish I had just put the switch in the DC input line as the AC line inside is still unswitched. I don't know why I thought putting it on the charger was the way to go... hindsight.

Was a pain finding a spot the leads of the witch would clear inside the charger. This was the only spot where they wouldn't bang into anything:
2018-0328-HTRC-H150ACDCDuoSwitchInstalled01.jpg

Just finished watching a Youtube video looks good. My question is the person did show how it worked i heard the fans go on for a sec. so if I were to be charging 1 and or 2 2s or 3S will the fans be LOUD or quiet? are they always on or just when need be? The one I linked was wit ha sw on the back. so yeah I may also look at the Arrow/powerbank name they come with a set of bats while the charger goes for 119.00 alone I save $20.00 and get some soft shell 11.1v 3S 5200mah bats lol

Just finished watching a Youtube video looks good. My question is the person did show how it worked i heard the fans go on for a sec. so if I were to be charging 1 and or 2 2s or 3S will the fans be LOUD or quiet? are they always on or just when need be? The one I linked was wit ha sw on the back. so yeah I may also look at the Arrow/powerbank name they come with a set of bats while the charger goes for 119.00 alone I save $20.00 and get some soft shell 11.1v 3S 5200mah bats lol

The fans come on when they need to. I charge at 12A, so they come on pretty quick after starting the cycle. As the packs get close to charged, the output amps drop and the fans turn on/off as they need to. They aren't something I'd want to lay my head on to take a nap, but they aren't like a vacuum cleaner either.

I got mine on amazon in case I had issues with it. Easier to return without much fuss.
https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Twin-Channel-Multi-Charger-Balance-Discharger/dp/B075F49BFD

The fans come on when they need to. I charge at 12A, so they come on pretty quick after starting the cycle. As the packs get close to charged, the output amps drop and the fans turn on/off as they need to. They aren't something I'd want to lay my head on to take a nap, but they aren't like a vacuum cleaner either.

I got mine on amazon in case I had issues with it. Easier to return without much fuss.
https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Twin-Channel-Multi-Charger-Balance-Discharger/dp/B075F49BFD

My Mrc brain 969 stays on from start to stop. Amazon totally agree, will put this on the list when i am ready I still will keep my options open. thank you, it helps out 1000%

FISH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTRC-AC-24...377229&hash=item25f3ac58bc:g:A9kAAOSwPzhaK4lm

any one have advice on this. i was reading up on here? $65.00 is not bad. I am wit ha tenirgy B6 5A is its highest takes over an hour plus to do one 5200mah 7.4, takes 2 plus or longer in parallel charging so either way they get done single same time. I like my tenirgy cause it is quiet. lol

This is a great example of needing to read the specs carefully. it is listed as a "240w" charger, but on AC, you can only get 75w per channel, when charging 2 batteries. I'd pass.

I am looking for a proper dual charger for my 6s 6000mah packs. Any suggestions? Buget is 200 max..

Remember you will need 150W (live load) to charge that battery at 1c, so look for 200w per channel, minimum. With a $200 budget, I'd get (and did get) a Reaktor 300w 20a 2 channel, from Hobby King. Plenty of power for your needs, about $125. Then get a PSU- I use the 1050w PSU from SMC for $75. That is $200 before shipping. If $200 is a hard limit, you can get other PSU's for a bit less. There are lots of different PC/ Server PSUs converted for RC use all over Ebay, here is another for about $40 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-12volt-...m=183212667450&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

This is a great example of needing to read the specs carefully. it is listed as a "240w" charger, but on AC, you can only get 75w per channel, when charging 2 batteries. I'd pass.

Remember you will need 150W (live load) to charge that battery at 1c, so look for 200w per channel, minimum. With a $200 budget, I'd get (and did get) a Reaktor 300w 20a 2 channel, from Hobby King. Plenty of power for your needs, about $125. Then get a PSU- I use the 1050w PSU from SMC for $75. That is $200 before shipping. If $200 is a hard limit, you can get other PSU's for a bit less. There are lots of different PC/ Server PSUs converted for RC use all over Ebay, here is another for about $40 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-12volt-70Amps-Power-Supply-870Watts-vinyl-wrapped-icharger-tekin-Orion/183212667450?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=50999&meid=3f5b6c90095a44229792188d72318d5f&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=172487308394&itm=183212667450&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
You also have to read closely as some say a certain max wattage per channel, but max out on amps instead. Like the venom 4x100w charger, 8A max per channel. Or the dynamite 2x200w which maxes out at 10A per channel.

I was on the fence with getting that reaktor charger as I wasn't 100% sure if I'd stick with using it in my car all the time or not. Ends up that I did. Oh well, live and learn.

You also have to read closely as some say a certain max wattage per channel, but max out on amps instead. Like the venom 4x100w charger, 8A max per channel. Or the dynamite 2x200w which maxes out at 10A per channel.

I was on the fence with getting that reaktor charger as I wasn't 100% sure if I'd stick with using it in my car all the time or not. Ends up that I did. Oh well, live and learn.
I guess I have a bias for high wattage. I'd rather see a 10a 200w charger than a 10a 100w charger. Any battery over 3 or larger will need more than 10w per amp (for 5000mah lipos). With a 5000mah 4s, you need most of that 200w to make a 10A charge rate.

I guess I have a bias for high wattage. I'd rather see a 10a 200w charger than a 10a 100w charger. Any battery over 3 or larger will need more than 10w per amp (for 5000mah lipos). With a 5000mah 4s, you need most of that 200w to make a 10A charge rate.
amps vs watts confuses the crap out of me these days. Been 20 years since I went over that stuff in college... haven't used the math in 18 years.

Back