Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hindsight....it would've been nice to know that the Q6+ was limited in wattage when paired with a 12v psu , but honestly, I would have still chosen the same psu that I bought simply because of how small it is and that 99.9% of the time I'm charging @1c (5a), which is about 135w charging a 6s 5000mah pack.
For reference, 7.1a is the most the Q6 will push charging the same 6s lipo.

2 more iSDT Q6+ chargers along with 2 more 6s and one 4s have already been purchased for Christmas stocking stuffers. Just waiting on Black Friday to purchase my daughter a Talion to go under the tree and I should be set for the rc stuff

The PSU I linked in #196 looks like it only has one set of power out terminals, but that would be easy to fix to be able to run several of the Q6+ chargers at the same time.
I'd also like to re-mention the link that @Tumbleweed30 provided:

http://www.lipoconnectionsolutions.com/Power-Supplies_c2.htm

They too have some pretty nice setups, both 12v and 24v and all of their PSU's can be customized with multiple outputs, vinyl covers, etc. They just don't seem to be as cheap as they are on eBay.

So I did a bit of googling, and found the website for the 24vdc PSU guy. He has a lot more options ordering from him, including adding more output bullets, carbon wraps, output leads, adding a 12v out on the 24v PSU's, etc... 1000w and 1500w options. Nice that you can kind of custom build the PSU.

http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/

I just noticed this, but the ebay link you posted in post #196 and the link above are from the same seller. :)

I sent the seller a message and invited him to the forum. Maybe he'll come by and throw in his two cents.

Hello !
I am a newbie in the RC universe, so I may not need the same power supply as you guys with many RC in the basement.
But I have found the ISDT Q6+ working perfectly well with the ISDT CP16027. Very small and nice looking power supply, high quality, 27V, 160W, and made to fit perfectly with the Q6 as it has a XT60 connector.
You can find it here for example : https://m-fr.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-parts/pp_632197.html

Edit : Some guys have tested it and it can take 200W no problem (even 240w), here is a link on rcgroups :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...tive-PFC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Free-test/page2

Last edited:
Hello !
I am a newbie in the RC universe, so I may not need the same power supply as you guys with many RC in the basement.
But I have found the ISDT Q6+ working perfectly well with the ISDT CP16027. Very small and nice looking power supply, high quality, 27V, 160W, and made to fit perfectly with the Q6 as it has a XT60 connector.
You can find it here for example : https://m-fr.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-parts/pp_632197.html

Edit : Some guys have tested it and it can take 200W no problem (even 240w), here is a link on rcgroups :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...tive-PFC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Free-test/page2

Some people like the fact that its compact and it fits in with the ISDT Charger. On the other hand some people like being over spec'd and having way more power than what they need. Some like spending a fraction of the cost and getting more bang for your buck. Some of you might want the flexibility to power one more more other charger in the future or future proof yourself for anything to come period. don't waste money and wish you went bigger down the road. I currently sell 2-3 power supplies with 3-6 times the wattage for nearly same amount of money give or take depending on the options. https://www.facebook.com/LipoConnectionSolutions/

Attachments

• 26910409_2028130284072034_8360984900067161558_o.jpg
    26910409_2028130284072034_8360984900067161558_o.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 60
I like that the ISDT CP16027 is small and compact, so it certainly has its use cases. But 160W really limits what you're going to be able to charge when it comes to the larger LiPo batteries.

Some guys have tested it and it can take 200W no problem (even 240w)

This to me isn't a selling point. Knowing what I know about power supplies and electronics in general - overloading a PSU is not something you want to do on a constant basis. I've seen a number of LiPo fires and trying to overload my PSU is certainly the last thing I want to do while charging one. But to each their own.

It would be nicer if the ISDT adapter was a bit cheaper, that's roughly $75 USD and I just bought a 24v 900watt PSU setup for $90 (from @icecube57). So for just a few bucks more I've got far more power and can easily run multiple chargers off of it.

Speaking of which, check out my new battery charging setup! :D

Charger: iSDT Q6 Plus
Power supply: HP 24v 1000watt

charger-and-psu.jpg

psu.jpg

Thanks to @Mr.Duke for the idea and to @icecube57 for the custom PSU setup.

I like that the ISDT CP16027 is small and compact, so it certainly has its use cases. But 160W really limits what you're going to be able to charge when it comes to the larger LiPo batteries.

This to me isn't a selling point. Knowing what I know about power supplies and electronics in general - overloading a PSU is not something you want to do on a constant basis. I've seen a number of LiPo fires and trying to overload my PSU is certainly the last thing I want to do while charging one. But to each their own.

It would be nicer if the ISDT adapter was a bit cheaper, that's roughly $75 USD and I just bought a 24v 900watt PSU setup for $90 (from @icecube57). So for just a few bucks more I've got far more power and can easily run multiple chargers off of it.

Speaking of which, check out my new battery charging setup! :D

Charger: iSDT Q6 Plus
Power supply: HP 24v 1000watt

View attachment 24142

View attachment 24143

Thanks to @Mr.Duke for the idea and to @icecube57 for the custom PSU setup.

@WoodiE I really like this idea looks amazing. ?

My question is are you charging only one battery at a time or are you balancing your (6s?) packs on a balance board?

How many amps are you pushing though and how loud is the whole setup? (is it annoying working in the same room as it)?

My question is are you charging only one battery at a time or are you balancing your (6s?) packs on a balance board?
I don't run 6s LiPo's, only 2s and 4s batteries at the moment.

The iSDT Q6 Plus will balance charge, the balance port is on the side of the unit. I could also buy a charging balancing board and charge several batteries in parallel. I don't see myself going that route anytime soon though.

When I ordered my power supply unit from @icecube57 I had 3 outputs installed on the PSU. This way I can add two more iSDT Q6 Plus chargers (or any other charger really). This would give me three fully independent chargers to charge how and what I want with each one.

The iSDT Q6 Plus chargers are pretty inexpensive (around $50) and I felt this was a better route to go.

Even if I do go to 6s I could easily charge multiple 6s LiPo batteries using the setup outlined above.

Made a video about stuff to look for in a charger --

I can appreciate all the power that many of you recommend, especially for those who race and have tons rigs & batteries. My first new charger was an RDX1 from Hitec, bought in December 2017, when I got my first new Rc in over thirty years. Not very powerful, but incredibly reliable and easy to use. So now I have more than one rig, and a half dozen batteries. Without going over the top, or the need for an external power supply, I'm interested in suggestions for a good quality, dual charger. The Hitec X2 is obviously on my radar, because of my experience with their product. It has bluetooth functionality, which allows you to program and monitor from a smartphone. It comes in at only $110 US (about $145 CAD), which seems like an excellent price point. Other recommendations welcomed. Here's a link to the X2:

https://hitecrcd.com/products/chargers/acdc-chargers/x2-ac-plus-2-port-acdc-multi-charger/product

Hitec is a great brand, great quality, and the X2 is a good charger, if you only use 2s/3s. If you are running 4s/6s, your charging times will be long, unless you only charge one pack at a time.

Hitec is a great brand, great quality, and the X2 is a good charger, if you only use 2s/3s. If you are running 4s/6s, your charging times will be long, unless you only charge one pack at a time.
Thanks for the insight. I figured that for the money, I'll be able to charge two batteries a little more quickly than I am now. I purchased a special balance plug that allowed me to do two batteries at once on the RDX1. Just programmed for 4s or 6s, and charge through the balance plugs, not the battery cables. The X2 has a little more power, and will accomplish the same task in half the time. Now I'll have two chargers charging six batteries. Total spent, less than $200. Would have been smarter to buy a better one a year ago when I first got back in, but rush,rush to get going, and my first ended up being too tame. Live and learn. X2 is ordered and on the way.

With the X2, if you are charging 2 batteries at once, you will still be limited to 50w per pack - same as the RDX1.

As a rule of thumb, for 5000mah batteries, you need 25w per cell for 1c (1 hour) charging. So a 5000mah 2s need 50w, a 4s needs 100w, 6s 150w. The X2 has 100w of power that it shares between the 2 channels - so 50w per channel when charging 2 packs.

Also, if you are parallel charging, the wattage rule still applies. So if you are parallel charging 2x 4s 5000mah batteries, you now need (8 cells) x 25w = 200W charge power.

If you really want to parallel charge, you need to look into a really big wattage charger. Something like the Hitec x2 700. But then you will also need to drop another $100 on a PSU line THIS ONE.

Last edited:
With the X2, if you are charging 2 batteries at once, you will still be limited to 50w per pack - same as the RDX1.

As a rule of thumb, for 5000mah batteries, you need 25w per cell for 1c (1 hour) charging. So a 5000mah 2s need 50w, a 4s needs 100w, 6s 150w. The X2 has 100w of power that it shares between the 2 channels - so 50w per channel when charging 2 packs.

Also, if you are parallel charging, the wattage rule still applies. So if you are parallel charging 2x 4s 5000mah batteries, you now need (8 cells) x 25w = 200W charge power.
These are the two cables my lhs sold me for charging two batteries at once. I honestly don't know if this is considered series or parallel, but the setting on the charger is either 4s for two 2s batteries or 6s for two 3s batteries. I will make note of the charging time for both set ups, the next time I do. I have parallel and series cables on hand as well, but the lhs guy suggested this system, so that proper balancing would be achieved. So much math, which obviously, is not my strong suit.
https://www.bigboyswithcooltoys.ca/products/bbtwins2s?variant=35575583687
https://www.bigboyswithcooltoys.ca/products/bbtwins3s-twins-2-3s?variant=35575648455

Why not simply add another Hitec RDX1, but the PRO version, which is 100W. So for 70$ you'll have 160W total.

This solution will let you charge a 4s or a pair of 3s in a quick fashion.
Bluetooth connectivity and simplicity. No extra cables, same power, split screen and controlled from my smartphone. On DC, if that ever happens, 200 watts is possible.

Back