Recommend me an ESC for a BRCC plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
About 2 months ago my ESC started making a surge sound and was loosing power. Horizon sent me a new ESC with the orange EC5 connector no questions asked(y). It worked great for several runs until last week. Now the fan makes a strange screeching sound. Almost as if there's a rock that's rubbing on the fins as it spins. I took a look and nothing. I turned my truck on and off twice and it went away. Went out a few days later and same thing. Horizon told me to send them this one back and they'd check it out. However, this is the second time an Arrma ESC has acted up and from reading these forums it looks like this is a common occurrence.
What ESC's are you guys using besides the BLX100? Any suggestions?

BLX120 is what I upgraded to, but that’s not really much of a change for you.

Hobbywing WP SC8 or Hexfly Hex10 esc the Hex10 is a cheaper rebrand Hobbywing Max10 SCT (which also is not that bad). The fan on the BLX100's are 25mm you could just get another fan because if it works and runs the motor fine could just get another fan as it sounds like it's just the fan making noise. The fan on the BLX100, BLX120 and the Hobbywing Max series I believe are all the same the WP SC8 uses a standard 30mm fan size. The SC8 is what I run in my Granite now.

About 2 months ago my ESC started making a surge sound and was loosing power. Horizon sent me a new ESC with the orange EC5 connector no questions asked(y). It worked great for several runs until last week. Now the fan makes a strange screeching sound. Almost as if there's a rock that's rubbing on the fins as it spins. I took a look and nothing. I turned my truck on and off twice and it went away. Went out a few days later and same thing. Horizon told me to send them this one back and they'd check it out. However, this is the second time an Arrma ESC has acted up and from reading these forums it looks like this is a common occurrence.
What ESC's are you guys using besides the BLX100? Any suggestions?
That strange screeching sound was the mosfets

I would second the SC8 or HEX10.

I don't think it's the mosfets on this.. I'd put my money on the fan bushings being dry..

You can oil the fan bushing from the back side of the fan under the sticker... pull it off and you will see the shaft in the center.. put a drop of oil on it and I'd bet the fan works like new.. worth a shot.. seen it a bunch of times..

OMG Thats the sound! So it's not the fan. I was going to try the new fan as suggested, but now...:rolleyes:
Why do they screech like that? Is it bad?

Last edited:
So if you unplug the fan and power it up it still makes the sounds?
Be way easier to start there

I took your advice. It's the fan. Thanks for saving me $60 bucks. Would any 25mm fan fit?

As long as it is 5 or 6 volt and 25mm you should be fine.. brand doesn't matter.. in the end arrma is giving you the same china stuff you can buy for cheaper... I keep a few spares and swap them out as needed, then I just service the fan that is dry with some oil to get it prepared for the next swap out...

Have you tried oiling it yet? Pull the sticker up and put 1 drop of oil on the shaft.. continue to leave the fan the way it is.. (sticker upright) for a couple mins.. during this time spin it with you fingers slowly.. it will work the oil down into the bushing.. after a couple mins. Plug it back in and power it up... it should be quiet and run much faster at this point.... then reassemble, it will save you on down time while your waiting for the new fan...

Beleive it or not this is also a common occurrence on 3d printers and they have to be serviced as well... it's the nature of the fan design... if they used bearings, (very high quality fan) it wouldnt be an issue...
Another thing to keep in mind is that a fan that struggles (half bound up) is taxing the bec.. a fan that siezes can potentially take out the bec all together rendering the esc useless...

So when those fans start making noise boys, don't ignore it... better to be proactive than reactive...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back