Recommendations for secondary Arrma RC (AKA 'Help, my wife and kids want to race, too!')

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sphexish

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon 3s
Having gotten a Typhon 3S V3 a few months ago (after a friend of mine dragged me into the hobby), and a number of light bashing sessions on grass & asfalt later, I'm considering getting a second RC so that my six-year-old son, ten-year-old daughter, and don't-ask-year-old wife can join in on the fun (read: 'will stop constantly stealing the transmitter from me 😑').

At this point, I've already gathered a reasonable amount of tools, oils, greases, spare parts, and (smart) 3S batteries -- as well as a decent charger -- so financially speaking I reckon the smartest choice would be to get another Arrma vehicle, particularly if it's one from the 3S BLX line.

I'm also half-tempted to just leave the Typhon mostly to them and get a bigger and badder 4S/6S rig for myself, but I'm not sure that would be very fun for everyone in the long run... The difference in performance with the 3S Typhon -- and the brushless 2WD Rustler my buddy uses -- would be pretty noticeable, I figure? Perhaps less so if it was 4S, but (as I understand it) those should be up for an upgrade in the near future, making the current 4S rigs hard to find and perhaps less of a wise investment.

In terms of another 3S rig, the most obvious choice in my mind was originally a V3 Granite. Lots of overlap with its buggy-styled sibling in terms of electronics and parts, but different enough in terms of looks and handling that I think it would still be a fun addition.

Although with the new Vorteks coming out I'm not so sure anymore, given that it appears to be slightly more advanced and sports some convenient-looking features like AVC and a battery level indicator on the DX3 transmitter that might justify the slightly higher asking price.

Anyway... Long story short, I was wondering if other people on this forum have already been faced with this particular dilemma and, if so, what y'all ending up choosing to do -- and why!

Thanks! 🤓

honestly, if you were to keep them stock I would go for the senton or the vorteks. I don’t like how much the big rock overheats on the stock motor but all of the 3s arrmas are super durable.

Back