Recommended Arrma 4x4 BLX and Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been running the 0230 servo and am having trouble getting full steering travel out of it, I think I am going to buy a servo from Jennys and see if it works better for me i’m not happy with the 0230 recommendation.

I have been running the 0230 servo and am having trouble getting full steering travel out of it, I think I am going to buy a servo from Jennys and see if it works better for me i’m not happy with the 0230 recommendation.
That is because you were supposed to buy the 0231MG not the 0230MG, the 0230 doesn't have enough torque to turn the wheels.

Savox 0231mg
  • Torque @4.8v - 12.0kg/166.6oz-in
  • Torque @6v -15.0kg/208.3oz-in
  • Speed @4.8v - 0.20 sec/60 deg
  • Speed @6v - 0.17 sec/60 deg
Savox 0230mg
  • Torque @6v - 6.5kg/90.3oz-in
  • Torque @7.4v - 8.0kg/111.1oz-in
  • Speed @6v - 0.16 sec/60 deg
  • Speed @7.4v - 0.13 sec/60 deg

Hands down best bang for your buck is going to be this servo https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Digital-Torque-Waterproof-Control/dp/B07GJ6ZCVY
Operating voltage range: 4.8 - 6.8V
Operating speed ( 5.0V ): 0.15 sec/60 degree
Operating speed ( 6.8V ): 0.13 sec/60 degree
Stall torque ( 5.0V ): 21kg/cm
Stall torque ( 6.8V ): 25kg/cm

I must have misread your post back in January, I have no idea why I would have suggested the 0230.

I know that know but at the time I was a newbie and woodie’s recommendation was the 2030 which he has now changed so I was running what I had and very disappointed that a member with his standing would recommend this servo in his upgrade page.

Last edited:
I know that know but at the time I was a newbie and woodie’s recommendation was the 2030 which he has now changed so I was running what I had and very disappointed that a member with his standing would recommend this servo in his upgrade page. My original servo quit working and i came to this forum and went to a sticky that recommended upgrades for the truck I have and ordered what was recommended at that time in this thread. This hobby is expensive enough without having to rebuy a working part woodie hasn’t even replied with an oh sorry or anything so i’m stuck with a part that does’t perform I have tried calibration end point setting and the thing won’t work, I WOULD research anything this guy woodie says is an up grade or better yet delete this sticky…
It was probably a typo. I'm sure he didn't do it intentionally, @WoodiE runs half a dozen rc forums and works full time he's only human and makes mistakes just like everyone else.

I know that know but at the time I was a newbie and woodie’s recommendation was the 2030 which he has now changed so I was running what I had and very disappointed that a member with his standing would recommend this servo in his upgrade page. My original servo quit working and i came to this forum and went to a sticky that recommended upgrades for the truck I have and ordered what was recommended at that time in this thread. This hobby is expensive enough without having to rebuy a working part woodie hasn’t even replied with an oh sorry or anything so i’m stuck with a part that does’t perform I have tried calibration end point setting and the thing won’t work, I WOULD research anything this guy woodie says is an up grade or better yet delete this sticky…
Um…who are you?🙄

What do you mean who am i ? I’m a guy that took a recommendation from a trusted member that steered me in the wrong direction, pun intended. Who are you???
I am someone that’s been on this forum for awhile. I am someone that takes recommendations and then has the common sense to research them. I’m someone that’s not entitled…I was raised to make my own decisions based on my own research and take the responsibility for my own actions, not blame my mistakes on someone else.
There’s no need to continue this conversation Allen. Goodbye.

The Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite/Senton is a pretty solid platform out of the box, but like most any other RC there are some weak points that can certainly be improved upon. Below we'll look at a few of those weak points and provide alternatives to fix said points.

If the Arrma Mega 4x4 is your first RC then there are going to be a few things you'll need first.

Required items for an Arrma 4x4 Mega

Batteries - The Arrma 4x4 Mega supports either a 7 cell NiMh or 2S LiPo battery pack.

My recommendation would be to go with a 2s LiPo pack and would suggest checking out SMC LiPo battery packs. However if you are looking for a list of suggested brands check out our "Budget LiPo of choice" thread.

LiPo Charging Sack - If you are going to go with a LiPo battery you MUST use a LiPo charging sack. These things are silly cheap and offer a huge amount of protection in the event a LiPo starts to go south.

*If you are not using a LiPo battery you can forgo getting a charging sack*

Battery Charger - For someone getting into RC and looking for a good bang for their buck, I would recommend checking out the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo charger. It will easily charge dual 2S LiPo or 7 cell NiMh packs at the same time allowing you to get back to racing/bashing quicker.

If you want other suggestions, check out our Recommend me a battery charger thread.

4x AA batteries - The 4x AA batteries are used in the transmitter that is included with the Arrma 4x4 Mega trucks. I'm would recommend getting Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That about wraps up the required items, now onto the recommended Arrma Mega 4x4 upgrades!

Most Recommended Upgrades for the Arrma 4x4 Mega

Servo - Soon after the Granite/Senton 4x4 Mega trucks was released, several people reported issues with the included servo.

An inexpensive upgrade would be the Savox SW-0231MG servo which has metal gears, faster and MUCH stronger than the stock servo - and it's also waterproof. A near bulletproof upgrade (maybe even a bit over kill ;)) would be a Savox SW1211SG or Savox SC-1256TG digital servo (probably want to pick up a BEC while you're at it too if you go with the 1256 servo).

Servo Saver - In the same breath we recommend a new servo, the stock servo saver is in need of some help as well. I don't think the stock servo saver hasn't saved many servos and looks like a knock off of a Kimbrough.

Skip the issues and get a legit Kimbrough #123 servo saver instead.

Shocks - We get a lot of questions about this one and right now these are the most commonly suggested and used shock upgrades:

Bumpers - The stock bumpers are not only a bit small but we've also seen reports of them not holding up as well. Luckily we have companies like T-Bone Racing that offers front and rear bumpers for the both the Granite and Senton 4x4 Mega trucks!

Bearings - I've said it before and will say it again, stock bearings in nearly any RC stink. Get yourself a set of NICE bearings from Team Fast Eddy - he offers both a Granite and Senton bearing kit for the Mega 4x4's.

Aside from the above, there have been several people ask about 17mm hex adapters and a common reply is to buying a set of these 17mm adapters that so far seem to be working very well for members here.

Finally I would suggest anyone looking for more information, tips and other mods check out these useful threads below:

Please, if you have other suggested upgrades, mods or tips for the Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite or Senton trucks please share below!
Upgrade to the 6s lineup the 3s from my experience breaks constantly ive gone through now 4 chassis on my typhon 3s along with countless shocks, center drive shafts (metal and plastic), slipper clutch's, input gears, spur gears, motor mounts tie rods and so on everything is plastic on the 3s the 6s has all the upgraded metal parts to withstand more of a beating 3s is fun if your just getting into bashing but not for hardcore bashing at least from my experience

Upgrade to the 6s lineup the 3s from my experience breaks constantly ive gone through now 4 chassis on my typhon 3s along with countless shocks, center drive shafts (metal and plastic), slipper clutch's, input gears, spur gears, motor mounts tie rods and so on everything is plastic on the 3s the 6s has all the upgraded metal parts to withstand more of a beating 3s is fun if your just getting into bashing but not for hardcore bashing at least from my experience
Yeah they are better suited for light bashing imho.

Been running my Granite 4 years. Tried all the upgrades. I think I have the performance and durability pretty much optimized. As always, this depends on how you run. The right upgrades for some are unnecessary and even downgrades for others.

Woodie’s original post recommends Tbone bumpers. They’re out of business, but anyway, a bumper upgrade is unnecessary. Stuff the bumper springs with foam and V1 Granite bumpers are the best bumpers in the world. They are even offered in multiple colors now with the release of the Gorgon. But you have to stuff the bumper springs with foam. With foam they are the most durable bumpers and they really protect the RC well. Without foam, the bumper springs are the most easily broken part on the rig and they will break constantly.

Everyone recommends the inexpensive Zoskay Amazon servos nowadays, so that is what I got for a recent build, we will see how it holds up. But I will second Woodie’s original recommendation, the Savox 1211sg. I have the predecessor 1210sg. It was installed from day one. 4 years later, thousands of crashes, etc., it is working perfectly and one of my only original parts still standing. Expensive, maybe overkill, but I have never regretted it.

Shocks should be upgraded ONLY if you are breaking them. Upgrade for shock shaft durability. That means 4mm shock shafts. Don’t just get another set of shocks with shafts just as flimsy and think they are an upgrade because of a metal shock body.

The stock shocks PERFORM GREAT. MOST of the shocks listed in the shock “upgrade” thread will actually be performance downgrades. So when you upgrade for durability, pay attention to how long the shocks are and what strength the springs are. You want to stay close to stock, otherwise you are most likely downgrading performance. Shock length and spring strength are some of the most important factors in how the RC handles.

17mm hexes. Just upgrade to 3s Typhon 17mm axles and hexes. EVERY 17mm adapter is problematic (M2C, Hot Racing, etc). Number one they continue to use the stock flimsy axles which snap easily. Number two, they often need loc-tite, which breaks loose and fails. The Typhon axles and hexes are bulletproof.

Other necessary upgrades.
If you are bending the motor plate, get a 7075 aluminum upgrade

If you are stripping diff gears, get the metal ones. I’ve only had to upgrade the rear. Plastic in front generally lasts pretty well.

I am on the fence about the metal slipper upgrade. Yes the plastic spur gear strips. But get the metal spur gear and you will simply wear down and eventually strip the pinion instead. Cost to replace a plastic spur or get a new pinion is about the same. So pick one option or the other.

The last thing is if you are popping the wheel driveshafts, loosen the slipper. Simple, FIXED. There are many complaints about popping driveshafts in this forum. But if are not willing to loosen the slipper, you will continue to go through driveshafts. (The recently released 4s line does provide stronger driveshafts now, but you will have to swap several parts. It is an expensive upgrade)

Other upgrades depend on your rig and how you run.

Last edited:
We really need to update that first post if I have time after work I'll fix it

Thank you @slick2500 !

I am new to Arrma and just got a Granite Boost and this has been the best thread I have found for the BLX upgrade path.

Cheers

Hi everyone!

Although I'm an absolute newbie to the hobby, to arrma, and only ran a single pack on my brand new Kraton 4s v2.5 so far, I did nevertheless notice that it appears to be underperforming, steering-wise.
Of ourse I can live with it for a while longer - it's not like I have such high standards yet - but eventually I'd like to remedy that.

I've spent a couple hours looking around for possible solutions, and have come to the following conclusions:

* servo is one thing, but servo saver is another
* according to these 2 videos:
-
-
the real problem is not so much with the servo, but with the saver
* ...however, that doesn't really match what I'm reading in this thread

Do you think I should look into replacing
- the servo,
- the saver,
- both?

For example, let's say I switch to a "Savox SW-1211SG": that one doesn't (seem to) come with its own saver.
That means I'll have to re-apply the stock servo saver on it, possibly losing some of the benefits of the new servo in the process? (*)

Thanks in advance for any opinion/advice/insight!

(and at the risk of repeating myself: I'm amazed by the amount of insightful information I can find roaming these pages...)

(*) I was wondering how I can be sure the saver will fit on that servo, too

Back