Recommended Arrma 4x4 BLX and Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite/Senton is a pretty solid platform out of the box, but like most any other RC there are some weak points that can certainly be improved upon. Below we'll look at a few of those weak points and provide alternatives to fix said points.

If the Arrma Mega 4x4 is your first RC then there are going to be a few things you'll need first.

Required items for an Arrma 4x4 Mega

Batteries - The Arrma 4x4 Mega supports either a 7 cell NiMh or 2S LiPo battery pack.

My recommendation would be to go with a 2s LiPo pack and would suggest checking out SMC LiPo battery packs. However if you are looking for a list of suggested brands check out our "Budget LiPo of choice" thread.

LiPo Charging Sack - If you are going to go with a LiPo battery you MUST use a LiPo charging sack. These things are silly cheap and offer a huge amount of protection in the event a LiPo starts to go south.

*If you are not using a LiPo battery you can forgo getting a charging sack*

Battery Charger - For someone getting into RC and looking for a good bang for their buck, I would recommend checking out the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo charger. It will easily charge dual 2S LiPo or 7 cell NiMh packs at the same time allowing you to get back to racing/bashing quicker.

If you want other suggestions, check out our Recommend me a battery charger thread.

4x AA batteries - The 4x AA batteries are used in the transmitter that is included with the Arrma 4x4 Mega trucks. I'm would recommend getting Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That about wraps up the required items, now onto the recommended Arrma Mega 4x4 upgrades!

Most Recommended Upgrades for the Arrma 4x4 Mega

Servo - Soon after the Granite/Senton 4x4 Mega trucks was released, several people reported issues with the included servo.

An inexpensive upgrade would be the Savox SW-0230MG servo which has metal gears, faster and MUCH stronger than the stock servo - and it's also waterproof. A near bulletproof upgrade (maybe even a bit over kill ;)) would be a Savox SW1211SG or Savox SC-1256TG digital servo (probably want to pick up a BEC while you're at it too if you go with the 1256 servo).

Servo Saver - In the same breath we recommend a new servo, the stock servo saver is in need of some help as well. I don't think the stock servo saver hasn't saved many servos and looks like a knock off of a Kimbrough.

Skip the issues and get a legit Kimbrough #123 servo saver instead.

Shocks - We get a lot of questions about this one and right now these are the most commonly suggested and used shock upgrades:

Bumpers - The stock bumpers are not only a bit small but we've also seen reports of them not holding up as well. Luckily we have companies like T-Bone Racing that offers front and rear bumpers for the both the Granite and Senton 4x4 Mega trucks!

Bearings - I've said it before and will say it again, stock bearings in nearly any RC stink. Get yourself a set of NICE bearings from Team Fast Eddy - he offers both a Granite and Senton bearing kit for the Mega 4x4's.

Aside from the above, there have been several people ask about 17mm hex adapters and a common reply is to buying a set of these 17mm adapters that so far seem to be working very well for members here.

Finally I would suggest anyone looking for more information, tips and other mods check out these useful threads below:

Please, if you have other suggested upgrades, mods or tips for the Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite or Senton trucks please share below!
Servo saver is not available any longer. Not that I’m aware of. Any other options?

Hey that’s awesome man! I guess I didn’t know what a servo saver was. I purchased a new horn. Is that what this covers? I bought a 25t horn for my metal geared servo. Or is the Servo saver the smaller piece??

Hey that’s awesome man! I guess I didn’t know what a servo saver was. I purchased a new horn. Is that what this covers? I bought a 25t horn for my metal geared servo. Or is the Servo saver the smaller piece??
A servo saver looks something like this. The spring allows for tension to be taking off the servo if your wheels hit a solid object. The spring takes away a lot of the force, therefore saving your servo from taking the brunt of the impact, and likely stripping. Not 100% sure if it is exactly the same on the the 4x4 Mega, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how it works.

Attachments

• Inkeds-l300_LI.jpg
    Inkeds-l300_LI.jpg
    808.5 KB · Views: 136
A servo saver looks something like this. The spring allows for tension to be taking off the servo if your wheels hit a solid object. The spring takes away a lot of the force, therefore saving your servo from taking the brunt of the impact, and likely stripping. Not 100% sure if it is exactly the same on the the 4x4 Mega, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how it works.

It's not the same for the 1/10th scale trucks. It's a totally different design but the end result is the same.

Thank you both for the detailed information. It definitely helps me out a lot. I was going to say for the 10th, it doesn’t hold a spring. I have a strong feeling that I’m going to swap my links for turn buckles to make a strong steering alignment.

Thank you both for the detailed information. It definitely helps me out a lot. I was going to say for the 10th, it doesn’t hold a spring. I have a strong feeling that I’m going to swap my links for turn buckles to make a strong steering alignment.
Holy crap, someone else from South Dakota.

I think @chevys10zr2003 is closer to you though.
Yeah, it's about 140 miles west of me. I'd be up for traveling for a bash session, but not in the crappy weather we have now. It's winter so it's crawling season for me right now.

I hear ya man. If everything goes right I’m moving to Kansas City in March but I’ll still be making plenty of visits. I’m working on buying properties and renting them out to get a start on my own business. My boss owns 81 welding in town. I mean we are getting into some pretty neat ideas with RC racing. He’s building a small course for his go karts this summer. But we plan on (racing) RCs. Plus a town about 20 minutes away or less called south shore has this awesome dirt bike course. Peaks 20 feet in the air, gives you plenty of long distant sight. Even some intense hill climbs foR four wheelers!! Imagine go pro with RCs up the side of a decent rock hill. One way or another I think this summer has good intentions.

The round servo horn IS the servo saver on the 4x4. If you swap it for a standard servo horn, you will have no servo saver, and risk stripping the servo gears. A good steel gear servo can stand some abuse, but may still fail. Use a servo with a headset available for replacement.
Hey does anyone know if bigrock drive axels will fit on my senton blx 3s?
They should be the same part #.

The round servo horn IS the servo saver on the 4x4. If you swap it for a standard servo horn, you will have no servo saver, and risk stripping the servo gears. A good steel gear servo can stand some abuse, but may still fail. Use a servo with a headset available for replacement.

They should be the same part #.
Right on, hot racing has some pretty sweet axle shafts with rubber boots I'd like to get

Hmm. So I’m wondering if these will take the place and fit properly in my Senton Mega. The other concern is simply, you replace one piece with aluminum. What else is going to break farther up the line?

Back