Recommended Arrma 4x4 BLX and Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, been a while. Just transitioning state to state. I’m still running the blx 185 and motor set up on my senton mega. Seems to be far too much power for the senton though. I am having a terrible time on finding proper wheels!!!! All tires have ripped and shredded. I have upgraded spur and diffs and driveshaft with better servo turnbuckles bumpers and shocks. Running 15v and 22v. I purchased the 6s backflips... awesome, but needs wheel spacers. Then I got proline street slicks not sure on name. Those ripped, ended up needing size coupler. From like 12-17mm. I got small scorpion tires for the front... those ripped. And now. Believe me or not.. I’m using rock climbing tires... inflatable rock climbing tires..... seriously, why is this the only comparable tire to the dboots? I loved dboots but the plastic sucked!!! If anyone has any advice on the perfect tire for a bad a$$ senton mega... I need need need the perfect ratio! Hope the summer weather is in full affect for everyone else! Much love fam.

Hey guys, been a while. Just transitioning state to state. I’m still running the blx 185 and motor set up on my senton mega. Seems to be far too much power for the senton though. I am having a terrible time on finding proper wheels!!!! All tires have ripped and shredded. I have upgraded spur and diffs and driveshaft with better servo turnbuckles bumpers and shocks. Running 15v and 22v. I purchased the 6s backflips... awesome, but needs wheel spacers. Then I got proline street slicks not sure on name. Those ripped, ended up needing size coupler. From like 12-17mm. I got small scorpion tires for the front... those ripped. And now. Believe me or not.. I’m using rock climbing tires... inflatable rock climbing tires..... seriously, why is this the only comparable tire to the dboots? I loved dboots but the plastic sucked!!! If anyone has any advice on the perfect tire for a bad a$$ senton mega... I need need need the perfect ratio! Hope the summer weather is in full affect for everyone else! Much love fam.
Maybe some proline sct Badlands? https://www.prolineracing.com/tires...medium-tires-mounted-impulse-black-wheels.asp
Or were you looking for more of an onroad tire?

If you want to run 3s, you need to upgrade the spur and slipper. Doesn't really matter what Kv you go with. 3s = mangled 48p spur.

To answer your last question, if you are running the 91t stock Mega spur then you will be running a max of 2s. That being the case, you are going to want the largest pinion that the Mega motor mount is drilled for. I think it's 26? That would give you a top speed around 43 mph with a 3800kv brushless motor on 2s. If you want faster than that, you need the mod .8 gears.
I m wanting to try a 4600 kV on an all stock mega running 2 s. Anyone see problems with this

I m wanting to try a 4600 kV on an all stock mega running 2 s. Anyone see problems with this
KV is a bit on the high side for a 1/10 4x4. I would try to keep it below 4000kv. With a 1/10 4x4 vehicle you want more motor torque than speed.

KV is a bit on the high side for a 1/10 4x4. I would try to keep it below 4000kv. With a 1/10 4x4 vehicle you want more motor torque than speed.
What would be the speed calculation with the proposed motor . I am currently running this motor on a torment ecx . It's a bit much for the model running 3s but seems fine on 2s. I know the torment is lighter then the mega and was just wondering if the added weight would kill the motor.

What would be the speed calculation with the proposed motor . I am currently running this motor on a torment ecx . It's a bit much for the model running 3s but seems fine on 2s. I know the torment is lighter then the mega and was just wondering if the added weight would kill the motor.
Stock spur and pinion I am assuming?
31.44 mph (50.5 km/h)
https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Possibly as those motors were meant more for buggies and onroad type cars.

When I had my Mega I was told to buy a Castle combo by a clueless LHS owner. It was the SW4 paired with a Castle 1406-4600 kv motor. It would run hot and thermal on 2s. I forget what pinion I was running. I then put a 3s battery in and tore up the 48p spur. It was fun for the 5 minutes it ran, lol. I eventually went to a 1410-3800 kv motor on 3s. That ran hot as well. Then the 3s BLX came out and I bought one of those.

When I had my Mega I was told to buy a Castle combo by a clueless LHS owner. It was the SW4 paired with a Castle 1406-4600 kv motor. It would run hot and thermal on 2s. I forget what pinion I was running. I then put a 3s battery in and tore up the 48p spur. It was fun for the 5 minutes it ran, lol. I eventually went to a 1410-3800 kv motor on 3s. That ran hot as well. Then the 3s BLX came out and I bought one of those.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like the same combo I bought and headed for the same trouble with the heavy senton .

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like the same combo I bought and headed for the same trouble with the heavy senton .
I actually moved the SW4 and the 4600 kv motor to my Mega Senton and ram it on 2s for a while. Once I modded the slipper to accept a 32p spur I ran it on 3s for a bit. It was crazy fast, lol. Heat was always the issue.

@WoodiE,
I would like to upgrade my stock plastic Granite shocks that come on the BLX 4X4 Truck!
My local hobby store recommended these shocks but someone mentioned that these are too short and will not fit?

Or should I upgrade to the 2019 v4 Arrma Outcast / Kraton 6s BLX Aluminum 4mm Shock Set Front Rear Springs that you all recommend on the Arrma Granite Hopups?

@WoodiE,
I would like to upgrade my stock plastic Granite shocks that come on the BLX 4X4 Truck!
My local hobby store recommended these shocks but someone mentioned that these are too short and will not fit?
View attachment 42604

Or should I upgrade to the 2019 v4 Arrma Outcast / Kraton 6s BLX Aluminum 4mm Shock Set Front Rear Springs that you all recommend on the Arrma Granite Hopups?
View attachment 42605
Those Arrma shocks would be too stiff. These would be better.

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...s-assembled-dampers-2018-springs-red-ar106046

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...ssembled-dampers-2019-outcast-kraton-ar106046

How realistic is it to land a set from JRC? Took me all week to get slippers ??‍♂️
You just need to keep checking. There are eBay kit breakers as well.

You just need to keep checking. There are eBay kit breakers as well.
I will look on eBay too. Just came to trust JRC and they are really good at getting orders out quick. They are only 2 days away shipping too. eBay is a roll of the dice at times.

I will look on eBay too. Just came to trust JRC and they are really good at getting orders out quick. They are only 2 days away shipping too. eBay is a roll of the dice at times.
JRC has an eBay site and there is one other guy that is aces: lumidave35

JRC has an eBay site and there is one other guy that is aces: lumidave35
Ok I’ve bought from Dave as well. It’s just easier for me to find what I want on JRC website. Their search function works well for finding the lowest cost. Usually you can find the same part but 4 different prices on their site. I don’t car which model the part came from as long as it’s the right one. Almost all 3S and 4S parts are identical.

Slippers just shipped today. One 3S from a Typhon for my Granite BLX 3S and one 4S from a Kraton for my Typhon BLX running 4S power.

This is what our local shop sold to us for my son and I. The guy did go in an dial back the power to 50%. I have put back to 100% as we are only running the nihd batteries right now.

I am still confused as to what parts we should upgrade to run 3S with this? Already replaced the input gear. I am assuming the pinion and ?

This is what our local shop sold to us for my son and I. The guy did go in an dial back the power to 50%. I have put back to 100% as we are only running the nihd batteries right now.

I am still confused as to what parts we should upgrade to run 3S with this? Already replaced the input gear. I am assuming the pinion and ?

I made my Mega brushless. You already have a good starting point with the 17t HD input. Next thing I would get is the BLX adj motor mount to set your own mesh and choose your own pinion. The Mega spur/slipper may or may not last (mine has been just fine) so the next would be the BLX 32p spur/sipper. If you like to run the slipper tight like I do the 17t HD input and/or the ring gear on the Mega diffs can strip on 3s (happened to me) so then the BLX inputs and diffs/ring gear is where I would go next. Except for the adj mount (it's not a stock part) it would be better just to buy the BLX parts from a kit breaker like Jennys RC.

It all depends on how you drive whether or not the Mega parts will last. Is it necessary to go all BLX no probably not. Just don't expect to bash and run the Mega drivetrain parts like you can the BLX parts.

Back