Recommended Arrma 4x4 BLX and Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the pinion options on a Senton mega stock motor mount? I want to order a pinion online but I'm not at home to look at the mount.

14t is stock Mega Granite 17t is stock Mega Senton the options on my Mega mount 14t 15t 17t and 27t. So a big range difference jumping from 17t to 27t. I would play connect the dots and slot the motor mount like I did open up more options but really should just go ahead and get one of the adjustable motor mounts. You really limit yourself with the stock mount as is.

14t is stock Mega Granite 17t is stock Mega Senton the options on my Mega mount 14t 15t 17t and 27t. So a big range difference jumping from 17t to 27t. I would play connect the dots and slot the motor mount like I did open up more options but really should just go ahead and get one of the adjustable motor mounts. You really limit yourself with the stock mount as is.

Yes big jump between 17t and 27t. I was going to use 19 or 20t. Hmmm.

Thank for the reply ?

Hi everyone.

I decided I want to get some upgrades for my Granite Mega and decided to do the battery first. I did some research first before I just went and bought stuff. I decided to buy this battery

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-Connector-Softcase-Quadcopter-Helicopter/dp/B07T848BXN

But I just read the first post by Woodie that the Granite Mega is only 2s capable.

Will I be able to run this battery with my rig?

Also, my steering is making a clicking noise when I turn it all the way right. I read a post where someone said I shot out the gear on my steering servo because its plastic. Any advice or info on this?
Please help!

Thank you,
SupraNik1910

Hi everyone.

I decided I want to get some upgrades for my Granite Mega and decided to do the battery first. I did some research first before I just went and bought stuff. I decided to buy this battery

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-Connector-Softcase-Quadcopter-Helicopter/dp/B07T848BXN

But I just read the first post by Woodie that the Granite Mega is only 2s capable.

Will I be able to run this battery with my rig?

Also, my steering is making a clicking noise when I turn it all the way right. I read a post where someone said I shot out the gear on my steering servo because its plastic. Any advice or info on this?
Please help!

Thank you,
SupraNik1910
Nope. 2S maximum on a Mega

My son has been using his new Senton Mega 4x4 since Christmas and is interested in upgrading his shocks to something a bit more durable. We already had to get replacement stock shocks due to a failure of one via warranty service.

We have read that the Arrma Typhon 6S (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...8-springs-red-ar106046?variant=20378398162998) (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...utcast-kraton-ar106046?variant=20378488504374) shocks are good replacements but have been unable to find them in stock that are reasonably priced anywhere.

We found some Kraton 6S shocks (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-kraton-6s-blx-rear-shocks-assembled-dampers-springs-red-ar106018) (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-red-new-ar106040?_pos=4&_sid=8d4278d2c&_ss=r) that look really similar but may be a few millimeters longer. My question is would these Kraton shocks work well with the Senton or should we look elsewhere for replacement shocks?

My son has been using his new Senton Mega 4x4 since Christmas and is interested in upgrading his shocks to something a bit more durable. We already had to get replacement stock shocks due to a failure of one via warranty service.

We have read that the Arrma Typhon 6S (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...8-springs-red-ar106046?variant=20378398162998) (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...utcast-kraton-ar106046?variant=20378488504374) shocks are good replacements but have been unable to find them in stock that are reasonably priced anywhere.

We found some Kraton 6S shocks (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-kraton-6s-blx-rear-shocks-assembled-dampers-springs-red-ar106018) (https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-red-new-ar106040?_pos=4&_sid=8d4278d2c&_ss=r) that look really similar but may be a few millimeters longer. My question is would these Kraton shocks work well with the Senton or should we look elsewhere for replacement shocks?
The Kraton shock springs will be a too stiff for the Senton.
There are other options in this thread.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-blx-4s-shocks-upgrades-and-information.7413/

The length isn’t going to be the issue here, but the springs will be too long and stiff. You will end up breaking shock towers on landings instead of allowing the chassis to bottom out.

Would there be any reason to swap out the slipper for a BLX model? I put a brushless system in my mega senton, and I feel there is a new spur gear in my future. Hot racing makes a metal spur for the mega, but would the slipper become the weak point? A BLX spur/slipper/axle add up to significantly more than the metal gear.

The Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite/Senton is a pretty solid platform out of the box, but like most any other RC there are some weak points that can certainly be improved upon. Below we'll look at a few of those weak points and provide alternatives to fix said points.

If the Arrma Mega 4x4 is your first RC then there are going to be a few things you'll need first.

Required items for an Arrma 4x4 Mega

Batteries - The Arrma 4x4 Mega supports either a 7 cell NiMh or 2S LiPo battery pack.

My recommendation would be to go with a 2s LiPo pack and would suggest checking out SMC LiPo battery packs. However if you are looking for a list of suggested brands check out our "Budget LiPo of choice" thread.

LiPo Charging Sack - If you are going to go with a LiPo battery you MUST use a LiPo charging sack. These things are silly cheap and offer a huge amount of protection in the event a LiPo starts to go south.

*If you are not using a LiPo battery you can forgo getting a charging sack*

Battery Charger - For someone getting into RC and looking for a good bang for their buck, I would recommend checking out the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo charger. It will easily charge dual 2S LiPo or 7 cell NiMh packs at the same time allowing you to get back to racing/bashing quicker.

If you want other suggestions, check out our Recommend me a battery charger thread.

4x AA batteries - The 4x AA batteries are used in the transmitter that is included with the Arrma 4x4 Mega trucks. I'm would recommend getting Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That about wraps up the required items, now onto the recommended Arrma Mega 4x4 upgrades!

Most Recommended Upgrades for the Arrma 4x4 Mega

Servo - Soon after the Granite/Senton 4x4 Mega trucks was released, several people reported issues with the included servo.

An inexpensive upgrade would be the Savox SW-0230MG servo which has metal gears, faster and MUCH stronger than the stock servo - and it's also waterproof. A near bulletproof upgrade (maybe even a bit over kill ;)) would be a Savox SW1211SG or Savox SC-1256TG digital servo (probably want to pick up a BEC while you're at it too if you go with the 1256 servo).

Servo Saver - In the same breath we recommend a new servo, the stock servo saver is in need of some help as well. I don't think the stock servo saver hasn't saved many servos and looks like a knock off of a Kimbrough.

Skip the issues and get a legit Kimbrough #123 servo saver instead.

Shocks - We get a lot of questions about this one and right now these are the most commonly suggested and used shock upgrades:

Bumpers - The stock bumpers are not only a bit small but we've also seen reports of them not holding up as well. Luckily we have companies like T-Bone Racing that offers front and rear bumpers for the both the Granite and Senton 4x4 Mega trucks!

Bearings - I've said it before and will say it again, stock bearings in nearly any RC stink. Get yourself a set of NICE bearings from Team Fast Eddy - he offers both a Granite and Senton bearing kit for the Mega 4x4's.

Aside from the above, there have been several people ask about 17mm hex adapters and a common reply is to buying a set of these 17mm adapters that so far seem to be working very well for members here.

Finally I would suggest anyone looking for more information, tips and other mods check out these useful threads below:

Please, if you have other suggested upgrades, mods or tips for the Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite or Senton trucks please share below!
Thanks @WoodiE for the post! I have the #3s #Typhon and i want to upgrade my servo!
What are your thoughts on this one for my 3s Typhon and is it a drop in replacement since the sizes are a little different?
Is this Savox SW-0230MG Waterproof HV Digital Servo W/FREE ALUMINUM HORN BL servo a drop in?
The reason why I ask is the Stock dimensions for the servo are LxHxW 40mm x 38mm x 20mm (Excluding mounting tabs)
The Savox is a little taller L x W x H (mm): 41.8 x 20.2 x 42.9 so I am just wondering if three will be any problems installing it on my 3s Typhon?
1587560487805.png

Last edited:
Would there be any reason to swap out the slipper for a BLX model? I put a brushless system in my mega senton, and I feel there is a new spur gear in my future. Hot racing makes a metal spur for the mega, but would the slipper become the weak point? A BLX spur/slipper/axle add up to significantly more than the metal gear.
When I put in my ezrun 3660sl combo into my Mega Granite, I swapped out for a HD steel slipper set (expensive). That lead to me stripping/chipping out both front and rear differential spirals. Went ahead and upgraded to the 37T diff that comes with the BLX system. So yeah, I basically transformed my Mega into the BLX. I wonder though if I went overkill with the steel slipper set. I am going no higher than 3S on that rig. Either way, I am worry free over that spur giving me problems.

When I put in my ezrun 3660sl combo into my Mega Granite, I swapped out for a HD steel slipper set (expensive). That lead to me stripping/chipping out both front and rear differential spirals. Went ahead and upgraded to the 37T diff that comes with the BLX system. So yeah, I basically transformed my Mega into the BLX. I wonder though if I went overkill with the steel slipper set. I am going no higher than 3S on that rig. Either way, I am worry free over that spur giving me problems.

That's kind of where I'm at. I just bought a fast eddy bearing set. Since both the bearings on my spur/slipper axle were shot, I had a chance to inspect the pad. A little wear, but nothing alarming.

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's less about gear pitch and more about the entirety of the system. The blx spur is 57t, the mega spur is 91t. Pinions are in the same range for both at 13t-17t, up to 25t-27t for top gearing. That makes for a drastically different gear ratio for the pinion/spur between mega and blx, IIRC something like 0.8. Now the differentials, despite different tooth counts, vary in ratio by only 0.02, IIRC. So while the blx diff can handle the blx slipper, the mega diff is designed for a more delicate input. TL,DR: go all blx or all mega.

But to be fair, I'm only running 2s. Albeit the 4600kv hobbywing combo. It cant do wheelies, but it does hit 38mph on paper... with 48p mega gears.

That's kind of where I'm at. I just bought a fast eddy bearing set. Since both the bearings on my spur/slipper axle were shot, I had a chance to inspect the pad. A little wear, but nothing alarming.

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's less about gear pitch and more about the entirety of the system. The blx spur is 57t, the mega spur is 91t. Pinions are in the same range for both at 13t-17t, up to 25t-27t for top gearing. That makes for a drastically different gear ratio for the pinion/spur between mega and blx, IIRC something like 0.8. Now the differentials, despite different tooth counts, vary in ratio by only 0.02, IIRC. So while the blx diff can handle the blx slipper, the mega diff is designed for a more delicate input. TL,DR: go all blx or all mega.

But to be fair, I'm only running 2s. Albeit the 4600kv hobbywing combo. It cant do wheelies, but it does hit 38mph on paper... with 48p mega gears.
Yup, I was thinking exactly like you. I actually originally bought the 4600kv combo first, but I wanted a bit more punch. I put in my BRCC esc/motor gearbox temporarily into my Granite and loved it. I wanted that similar feel. I did eventually chip out the rear diff spiral which led me to upgrading to the steel slipper set.

The 4600kv set up ran smooth with that set up even without the slipper and diff set swap. But it did not wheelie or back flip off jumps as I desired. I only ran a 2S and 3S pack once each before I returned it for the 3200kv combo. You might be ok for a while, but that brushless motor will eventually wear out the Mega drive train. For ease of mind, I'd probably go with the BLX upgrade,

Last edited:
@WoodiE - So far I have installed a 20t pinion and installed the ARRMA 6s Shocks on my 3s #Typhon but I have a few questions! I am upgrading stock bell crank to get rid of some slop so I have installed a Hot Racing one but I am wondering which holes should I screw them in, since there are 4 different spots, see attachment 1 ? Plus, i have went w/ your recommendation on the Savox SW-0230MG Waterproof HV Digital Servo!! A lot of people have suggested that I should use the stock plastic horn instead of the of the Aluminum one that my Savox came with. Also, it appears that the stock servo is a little smaller vs the Savox servo! Do you think I will have any problems with the install in my 3s ARRMA Typhon since the Stock ARRMA servo is a tab bit smaller spec wise? Would like to get your thoughts and opinions #ARRMAFamily as well?

ARRMA Stock Servo specs: (40 x 38 x 20mm)
Savox SW-0230MG specs: (41.8 x 38.0 x 20.2mm)

HR Bell Cark Installed.jpeg
Servos.jpeg

Last edited:
Adding my steering fix to the thread. I also edited my post (#4) to add this -

For your steering not centering, this is common with the Mega's, here is what I did -

First - Bearings - the bell crank rides on plastic bushings that wear quickly and create lots of slop. Replace these with bearings will help tremendously. Most bearing kits will include these bearings.

2 - Check each pivot ball for smooth action. I had several that were sticking. Tweak them buy giving them a squeeze with pliers till they move free. Check every pivot ball, get them all moving free.

3 - My servo save was dragging on my chassis. I added a washer under the servo to raise the servo (and SS) up a bit, so it will no longer drag.

After these three things were done, my Granite steering is rock solid. The only slop is minor, and 90% of it is in the servo saver (can't be avoided with this style of SS). Steering centers great, and is very predictable now. Best of all, I didn't really need to buy anything, as the bearings came in the bearing kit I already had for the truck.

Jerry

HI Jerry,
My bell crank from Hot Racing already came with bearings! As far as my Pivotal balls I bought the ATF160B02 Complete 22-Piece Aluminum Pivot Ball Set for the Arrma 1/10 4x4 which has helped tremendously reduce some of the slop! Also, you never answered my question on what hole in the Bell Crank should I use since there are 4 options to screw them in? Also, did you install the same servo - the SW-0230MG as mine in your Granite?

Attachments

• HR Bell Cark Installed.jpeg
    HR Bell Cark Installed.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 79
HI Jerry,
My bell crank from Hot Racing already came with bearings! As far as my Pivotal balls I bought the ATF160B02 Complete 22-Piece Aluminum Pivot Ball Set for the Arrma 1/10 4x4 which has helped tremendously reduce some of the slop! Also, you never answered my question on what hole in the Bell Crank should I use since there are 4 options to screw them in? Also, did you install the same servo - the SW-0230MG as mine in your Granite?
Sorry, I didn't see your question in the other thread. If you have the money / want to spend money on HR stuff, it can be a good solution. My post is to say, if you don't want to spend $$ (or can't) you can still have smooth, slop free steering.

As far as which hole to use on the HR ackermann plate, I have no idea. I'd start by comparing it to the stock, and choose the hole closest to stock. The other holes are to tune how the car turns (good for racing). If you don't know how that works, Google "Hudy Off-road tuning guide" and download the Hudy PDF. But here is page 22-

hudy ackermann.png

As for the Servo, I have a Trackstar TS-411mg. The SS was dragging in mine with both the stock ADS-5 and my trackstar, so be sure and check yours. If it is clearing without the spacers, Great!

I type all that, and see your post was directly above mine... LOL. I was not posting my steering tweek as a response to your post, just that I saw this thread float back up, and decided to add my tweeks to the "library" of possible updates. Seems I have posted it a lot recently, so I figured I'd add it here.

Reading thru your post -
Yes, use the Stock servo horn. It is not just a horn, but it is also the Servo Saver. If you use the Aluminum horn, all shock from crashes (impacts on front wheels) will be transmitted to the servo, and can damage the servo gears. Metal gear servos can handle some abuse, so some racers will run with no SS, but for bashers, there is not enough of a difference. My opinion is to use the SS.

For the servo size difference, check the height from the top of the mounting tabs to the top of the spline. If that is larger than the stock servo, you will need spacers under the servo to raise it up to clear the SS from dragging the chassis.

As far as the Savox SW-0230MG, decent specs on 7.4v but if you are running the stock ESC, it's BEC is 6.0v. That savox is a bit slower than I like, and not very strong on 6.0v. Stock ADS8 is faster. Power is close enough to the same in both that you won't notice.

Last edited:
I need to replace my current stock servo in my brushed Granite 4x4 Mega.
I keep reading about certain servos being too strong for the stock ESC.

Can someone suggest a good but not too expensive servo for my rig? What about the 20kg one on Banggood?
My son and I use it in the backyard and parks....nothing to demanding.

Thanks in advance.

Do you guys generally buy replacement parts online or from your local hobby shop? Ordering online seems to take longer but saves you a little bit of money. Buying from a LHS gets you back up and running but often at a higher cost. I'm in Michigan and things are starting to open back up so I'm looking forward to visiting my lhs for the first time to see what they have in stock. My brushed motor in my Granite Mega bit the dust and I'm waiting on a warranty replacement from horizon hobby that's on back order. I ordered a brushless setup from China and that's a month out. (I just can't afford a more expensive brushless setup. Don't judge.) But I'm sure I could stop in to my LHS to buy another brushed motor to get me back up and running. I also ordered the wrong sealed bearings from Amain hobbies and am currently trying to email them to return them for the correct ones. The amain website description of the Fast Eddy bearings is horrible. It doesn't say that they are for the 2wd or 4wd. Just that they are for the granite mega. I get them in the mail, and the package says 2wd. Ugh. I should have just ordered them from Fast Eddy website. Sorry to rant, but I'm getting frustrated constantly trying to order parts online and either ordering the wrong parts or waiting a long time to get them. And the fact I've only had this truck for 2 weeks and the stock brushed motor is already toast.

Back