Recommended Arrma 4x4 BLX and Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son has a Senton Mega. We are upgrading his brushed motor to brushless and his servo is shot so we need to replace that also. Would like to replace with one with metal gears instead of the stock plastic. I see the one you recommend is 25 tooth and his has 23. What are my options?
Spektrum makes a S6020 for like 32-33 dollars with metal gears. I replaced my son's Senton with it and so far it's doing great, has 23teeth. Plug and play.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSS6020

May have missed it....but can the stock 550 motor handle a 0.8 conversion on 2s?
I want to say yes, but people burn up the stock 550 motor with the stock gearing on 2s so 🤷‍♂️

I know the 550’s aren’t the best, Eventually going brushless with the mod anyway. It’s a toss up, 0.8 mod and burn out the engine, or brushless and burn out the gears! Lol

I know the 550’s aren’t the best, Eventually going brushless with the mod anyway. It’s a toss up, 0.8 mod and burn out the engine, or brushless and burn out the gears! Lol

I still want to stick a 775 and WP880 in one once just to see how long it lasts.

The Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite/Senton is a pretty solid platform out of the box, but like most any other RC there are some weak points that can certainly be improved upon. Below we'll look at a few of those weak points and provide alternatives to fix said points.

If the Arrma Mega 4x4 is your first RC then there are going to be a few things you'll need first.

Required items for an Arrma 4x4 Mega

Batteries - The Arrma 4x4 Mega supports either a 7 cell NiMh or 2S LiPo battery pack.

My recommendation would be to go with a 2s LiPo pack and would suggest checking out SMC LiPo battery packs. However if you are looking for a list of suggested brands check out our "Budget LiPo of choice" thread.

LiPo Charging Sack - If you are going to go with a LiPo battery you MUST use a LiPo charging sack. These things are silly cheap and offer a huge amount of protection in the event a LiPo starts to go south.

*If you are not using a LiPo battery you can forgo getting a charging sack*

Battery Charger - For someone getting into RC and looking for a good bang for their buck, I would recommend checking out the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo charger. It will easily charge dual 2S LiPo or 7 cell NiMh packs at the same time allowing you to get back to racing/bashing quicker.

If you want other suggestions, check out our Recommend me a battery charger thread.

4x AA batteries - The 4x AA batteries are used in the transmitter that is included with the Arrma 4x4 Mega trucks. I'm would recommend getting Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That about wraps up the required items, now onto the recommended Arrma Mega 4x4 upgrades!

Most Recommended Upgrades for the Arrma 4x4 Mega

Servo - Soon after the Granite/Senton 4x4 Mega trucks was released, several people reported issues with the included servo.

An inexpensive upgrade would be the Savox SW-0230MG servo which has metal gears, faster and MUCH stronger than the stock servo - and it's also waterproof. A near bulletproof upgrade (maybe even a bit over kill ;)) would be a Savox SW1211SG or Savox SC-1256TG digital servo (probably want to pick up a BEC while you're at it too if you go with the 1256 servo).

Servo Saver - In the same breath we recommend a new servo, the stock servo saver is in need of some help as well. I don't think the stock servo saver hasn't saved many servos and looks like a knock off of a Kimbrough.

Skip the issues and get a legit Kimbrough #123 servo saver instead.

Shocks - We get a lot of questions about this one and right now these are the most commonly suggested and used shock upgrades:

Bumpers - The stock bumpers are not only a bit small but we've also seen reports of them not holding up as well. Luckily we have companies like T-Bone Racing that offers front and rear bumpers for the both the Granite and Senton 4x4 Mega trucks!

Bearings - I've said it before and will say it again, stock bearings in nearly any RC stink. Get yourself a set of NICE bearings from Team Fast Eddy - he offers both a Granite and Senton bearing kit for the Mega 4x4's.

Aside from the above, there have been several people ask about 17mm hex adapters and a common reply is to buying a set of these 17mm adapters that so far seem to be working very well for members here.

Finally I would suggest anyone looking for more information, tips and other mods check out these useful threads below:

Please, if you have other suggested upgrades, mods or tips for the Arrma 4x4 Mega Granite or Senton trucks please share below!
My newish blue brushed granite 4x4 esc LV always cuts out at 3.9 per cell. I am not planning on upgrading this truck to brushless as it will go to my wife (she prefers a slower car), when I get it some sorta blx down the line. What would be a good ESC to put in to stop this issue?
Oh, when my current brushed motor does die I’d like to put in a titan 3975 (21t, 14v). Curious if a specific type of esc is needed for that motor.
I mean it works in the Traxxas Summit right
Let’s see....run a power wheels car....or try it in an RC....tough decision there!! Lol
🤔 What would it take to do that? Different type of Esc?

Maybe a newb question. But would the following work to upgrade my Senton brushed to brushless?

motor:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-3200kv-4-pole-bl-motor-3660/SPMXSM2000.html

ESC:
https://www.ebay.com/i/383916601980...1MgwzOhlAzg4kHxUB7MDXn5cZ8_l0Wz8aAkRMEALw_wcB

The above combination is about $130 and is the exact motor and esc combination in the 3s Senton
General warning about brushless that can support 3s on a Mega.

I just lived it as while new to the hobby 6 months ago and watching a couple videos I decided I wanted a Senton 3s. We had just previously been playing for an appx month with a Granite Mega that we bought for the wife, and I knew I wanted MORE power.

So excited for my new truck, I go into LHS to get my new Senton 3s and the dude "down sells me" and like a total newb I bite. He sells me a Senton Mega, but at the same time he talks me into a Spektum 85 amp esc/3900 KV (total now MORE than a Senton 3s stock cost) motor combo and claims this is better as now my disposable parts match my wifes Granite, we have an "extra" esc/brushed motor for her, and we can swap plastic parts if needed.

What he doesn't tell me, and I don't realize due to lack of experience, and or enough pre-review of the differences, is the other parts that are now likely to fail on the Senton Mega if I put a 3s battery in it. He also doesn't explain correctly about the 3900 KV motor being a little too big for 3s and happier on 2s, even though he knew I came in the door wanting a 3s model. He also doesn't tell me about the little differences that I just gave up like; adjustable tie rods, metal gear servo, bearing supported drive shaft, BLX clutch set up/power module/mod .8 pinion/spur, oem heat sink/electric fan, etc, while actually spending 10 more dollars overall with his suggestion LOL.

Over the last few months I have done all of these upgrades now and have spent a hair over 400 making my Mega back into the 3s truck I originally wanted, yet still minus the adjustable tie rods. And FYI, the Spektrum combo he sold me is JUNK. That new motor fails either due to heat or due to dirt so quickly. All I got out of it was x2 battery packs ran thru it, and ONLY 2s batteries at that, before the front bearing failed. Wide spread known issue with this latest gen of Spektrum motors., I'll not buy another. I've actually pulled all of that Spektrum crud out and have a Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo in there now. Huh, so with the HW purchase I guess Im actually now over 500 bucks making the Mega into the Senton I wanted...Oh Lord don't tell the wife...

I said all that to say this. IF upgrading your Senton Mega to brushless and going for 3s, know you need more parts than just the ESC/Motor combo. Go ahead and start the other upgrades at least to the Clutch/Power Module, and Drive Shaft bearing support, and heat sink with fan.

I just lived it as while new to the hobby 6 months ago and watching a couple videos I decided I wanted a Senton 3s. We had just previously been playing for an appx month with a Granite Mega that we bought for the wife, and I knew I wanted MORE power.

So excited for my new truck, I go into LHS to get my new Senton 3s and the dude "down sells me" and like a total newb I bite. He sells me a Senton Mega, but at the same time he talks me into a Spektum 85 amp esc/3900 KV (total now MORE than a Senton 3s stock cost) motor combo and claims this is better as now my disposable parts match my wifes Granite, we have an "extra" esc/brushed motor for her, and we can swap plastic parts if needed.

What he doesn't tell me, and I don't realize due to lack of experience, and or enough pre-review of the differences, is the other parts that are now likely to fail on the Senton Mega if I put a 3s battery in it. He also doesn't explain correctly about the 3900 KV motor being a little too big for 3s and happier on 2s, even though he knew I came in the door wanting a 3s model. He also doesn't tell me about the little differences that I just gave up like; adjustable tie rods, metal gear servo, bearing supported drive shaft, BLX clutch set up/power module/mod .8 pinion/spur, oem heat sink/electric fan, etc, while actually spending 10 more dollars overall with his suggestion LOL.

Over the last few months I have done all of these upgrades now and have spent a hair over 400 making my Mega back into the 3s truck I originally wanted, yet still minus the adjustable tie rods. And FYI, the Spektrum combo he sold me is JUNK. That new motor fails either due to heat or due to dirt so quickly. All I got out of it was x2 battery packs ran thru it, and ONLY 2s batteries at that, before the front bearing failed. Wide spread known issue with this latest gen of Spektrum motors., I'll not buy another. I've actually pulled all of that Spektrum crud out and have a Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo in there now. Huh, so with the HW purchase I guess Im actually now over 500 bucks making the Mega into the Senton I wanted...Oh Lord don't tell the wife...

I said all that to say this. IF upgrading your Senton Mega to brushless and going for 3s, know you need more parts than just the ESC/Motor combo. Go ahead and start the other upgrades at least to the Clutch/Power Module, and Drive Shaft bearing support, and heat sink with fan.
Man that sux, sorry. Why didn't you just return the mega instead of dumping cash into it?

This right here is another reason that hobby shops are dyeing.

Man that sux, sorry. Why didn't you just return the mega instead of dumping cash into it?
They are one of those shops that have the huge sign on the front counter; No Returns No Refunds No Exchanges No Exceptions. Only shop around, and as stated Im new to it this year, and I like going in a store still more than online, so I tolerate some BS. Additionally their prices are absolutely on par with ALL online sources. I swear, whatever the cheapest you see on line is, that's what their price is. The upside to the Mega transformation is Im a tinkerer and love working on stuff, so it really was a great learning experience to break each part and learn how to replace it. I am NOT one to take my crud into have someone else work on it, so theres a silver lining as they say...

They are one of those shops that have the huge sign on the front counter; No Returns No Refunds No Exchanges No Exceptions. Only shop around, and as stated Im new to it this year, and I like going in a store still more than online, so I tolerate some BS. Additionally their prices are absolutely on par with ALL online sources. I swear, whatever the cheapest you see on line is, that's what their price is. The upside to the Mega transformation is Im a tinkerer and love working on stuff, so it really was a great learning experience to break each part and learn how to replace it. I am NOT one to take my crud into have someone else work on it, so theres a silver lining as they say...
Wow, if I saw that sign I'd be rolling out of there faster than 1/8 scale speed runner. But at least you've learned from the situation.

Fans! Fans are a must for Mega. I'm burning through motors like crazy without a motor fan. 1/2 the time, the ESC cuts power to 50% within 10 min; but a fan fixes that too.

This is an awesome truck. I've already upgraded to a brushless setup and upgraded the servo to an Arrma with metal gears. It doesn't do wheelies, but it's fast, and is very solid. Bashed it 4 or 5 times and only a hairline fracture to the lower front bumper (fixed with epoxy). :D
Which epoxy? I'm trying to find something that works with this ARRMA plastic

I see you changed the servo upgrade, I hope I can get the one you recommended the 0230 to work otherwise I have a $50.00 paperweight…

I see you changed the servo upgrade, I hope I can get the one you recommended the 0230 to work otherwise I have a $50.00 paperweight…

The specs on the 0230 are a little better than the stock servo, just make sure you have a 25T servo saver or servo horn for it.

Back