Kraton Recommended Arrma Kraton & Talion Upgrades 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I may be buying a kraton 6s today. My lhs says they have some in stock. How do I know what version it is?
Well, the v4 (newest) has an aluminum top brace going from shock tower to shock tower. It also comes with an stx2 (transmitter, would change right away anyways) and either a blue or red body, running copperhead 2 tires. The v3 doesn't have a top brace, comes probably with a green / black body and has the minokawa tires and should come with a tactic transmitter. I just assume that they won't have any older models (v1 or v2) in stock :)

So I may be buying a kraton 6s today. My lhs says they have some in stock. How do I know what version it is?
Best thing is to check the part number on the box. Then go to the Arrma site and see if it matches the current model.

Isnt the kraton and talion basicly the same thing?
If they can upgrade the kraton with this parts
Wouldnt it fit also on the talion?
Yes for the most part the talion is geared more aggressive with a few differences like the shock tower in the front, wheel base is more narrow and a few other things. I’ve had the talion and Kraton and for an overall basher I would recommend the talion despite the Kraton hype. A lot of dif issues with my buddies Kraton

hello all, I bought a used kraton 6s v4 the other day, and ran it pretty hard bending the wing support already , oops.

I noticed one of the steering knuckles is very loose compared to the other, causing a lot of play in the wheel

I've ordered m2c chassis support front and rear, RPM wing mounts and tekton wing, steering knuckles, and the ball composite kit.

I also upgraded to a futaba 3pv radio, just got it today, also ordered some CST 1000 for the shocks.

next up after that is the diff's what's everyone running as far as oil? I know the previous owner installed the optional 14t it comes with.

I'm also looking at upgrading servo's either the pro modeler470 or the savox 1231sg any others I should consider? as far as servo mounts I was looking to order the just bash it. using either of those I won't need to run a BEC correct? what about adding a fan kit like the yeah racing ?

my stock copperhead2's are pretty beat, I was looking at the backflip LP's or proline badland 3.8's which should I go with?

anything else you guys recommend, this is my first dip into electric R/C and it's wild.

I have a Kraton 6s that I bought in January. It was the shelf model (I think this was a mistake). I have been having a glitchy throttle issue since the first week I bought it. I changed the transmitter to FlySky GT5 with gyro receiver. That did not help. I then changed out the motor and ESC from a perfect working Talion. It's still glitchy. The throttle does not engage on every trigger pull. At low speed engagement it's jumpy. And it is only really stable once I get to about 50% throttle. I just got my temp gauge and measured motor temps between 130-180 depending on what side of motor I touch. Next to the pinion gear if I measure say at 3 o'clock position it's 125-130 and then at the top, 12 o'clock position, it's 185-190 (too hot.) I have a cheap castle fan attached with zip ties to middle of motor. That seems weird to me. I am also running backflip tires. I think I have a bad motor somehow, but can't test it since. It's just weird that I have the throttle problem only in the Kraton and not in the Talion running the same motor and ESC combo. Could it be bad differential something?

The Arrma Kraton is a fine R/C out of the box and very capable to hold up to even the hardest of bashing sessions. There are a few things that can be done to further improve the Kraton - making it stronger, faster, and more durable.

If you're just getting an Arrma Kraton there are a few things you'll need to get started.

Required items for a new Arrma Kraton

Batteries - You could run NiMH packs in the Kraton but you'll be doing yourself a dis-service as to really get the power, speed, and run time that the Kraton can really deliver you're going to need to run LiPo batteries. You can use the following LiPo setup:
  • 2x2S LiPo packs
  • 2x3S LiPo packs
  • 1x4S LiPo pack
  • 1x6S LiPo pack
There is a great "Budget LiPo of choice" ongoing thread if you are unsure what battery packs to buy.

Battery Charger - One of the best bang for your buck chargers would be the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo. It will charge both NiMH and LiPo batteries and can charge two batteries at one time which is really a must have feature for the Kraton as many will be running dual batteries.

LiPo Sack - Just buy one! A LiPO sack is super cheap and offers a great deal of protection to charge and store your LiPo batteries.

4x AA Batteries - These are for the transmitter and I'm a big fan of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

If you're new to the hobby, I would also strongly suggest checking out the Tools for getting started in RC thread.

Now on to the upgrades to make your Arrma Kraton even better! :)

Most Recommended Upgrades for the Arrma Kraton v4

Radio Gear - Replace it. Period. The new Arrma's are shipping with the Spektrum STX2 and a simple search here on ArrmaForum alone will return tons of results of members having issues with it. From extremely poor range, slow response times and even out right dying prematurely. We all hope Horizon Hobby does the right thing and replace the STX2 with a much more reliable radio.

Until then, it is HIGHLY recommended that you NOT use the STX2 radio and instead buy a replacement. The Futaba 3PV, Tactic TX300 (which is what used to come included in the Arrma's) or even a Flysky FS-GT5 radio system.

I personally use and recommend Futaba so that would be my first choice, though the forum is filled with members that use Tactic and Flysky with great results.

Seriously, if you are going to buy anything for your new Arrma 6s - buy a new radio system.

Servo - You can go one of two ways to improve the servo issues on the Kraton, the best option would be to do both.
  1. Upgrade the servo to something like the PowerHD DW25LV, Savox SW-1210SG (powerful, steel gears, and waterproof), Savox SW-0231MG (a bit weaker than the SW-1210SG) or Hitec HS-7955TG. It is recommended you get either a Glitch Buster or External BEC when running these servo's.
  2. Upgrade the servo mount, the stock plastic mount flexes a lot causing more strain on the servo. The DIY Kraton servo mount upgrade or the one piece aluminum servo mount will remove the flex issues.

Bearings - This isn't a surprise really as there aren't many RC's that are shipped with high quality bearings, or in some cases no bearings at all. In the case of the Arrma Kraton it's both, the bearings that are used aren't very good and there are even bushings used in areas (steering). A bearing set from Fast Eddy Bearings will be a massive upgrade over stock and what I would recommend!

Bumpers - If you're really bashing your Kraton then you'll probably want a good durable bumper. T-Bone Racing make a very durable front and rear bumper for the Kraton. TBR bumpers are also guaranteed forever. If you break it, they will send you a free replacement.

Chassis Braces - A lot of people buy the Kraton because they want to bash it, jump it, and just go crazy. "Don't just bash. Blast." With that in mind another suggested upgrade would be to replace the stock plastic chassis braces with aluminum chassis braces.

There are several places that make them, two of which to check out would be GKA Custom RC Parts and Voltage Hobbies.

Addiontal Upgrades for older Arrma Kraton models

Wing Mount - Without a doubt the most likely item to break first out of the box on the older Kraton models was the wing mount. If you don't like the wing then go ahead and remove it, but if you want the wing then buy the RPM Wing Mount. RPM products are guaranteed forever. If you break it, they will send you a free replacement.

Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) - I'm going to say it, the stock BLX 180 ESC is questionable at best or just out right bad at worse. There are plenty of threads here on the forum documenting the numerous issues with this ESC. To Arrma's credit they have been on the ball replacing any bad ESC's within the warranty period.

That said if you don't want to mess with replacing the ESC each time it burns up, has other issues, or chance damaging your other electronics (battery, servo) then adding a new ESC would be best. Tekin, Castle Creations, and even Hobbywing make great alternatives and buying one of their combo's (ESC and motor) could give the Kraton even more speed and/or power!

Note: The BLX 185 could potentially fix the issues with the BLX 180 ESC, but the 185 has yet to be released or tested.

If you have other suggested upgrades, please share below! Let us know how your Arrma Kraton is holding up.

Woodie! This is an amazing post. you should keep editing the first page of this post with the times. i was looking for something like this.

hello all, I bought a used kraton 6s v4 the other day, and ran it pretty hard bending the wing support already , oops.
I noticed one of the steering knuckles is very loose compared to the other, causing a lot of play in the wheel
I've ordered m2c chassis support front and rear, RPM wing mounts and tekton wing, steering knuckles, and the ball composite kit.
I also upgraded to a futaba 3pv radio, just got it today, also ordered some CST 1000 for the shocks.
next up after that is the diff's what's everyone running as far as oil? I know the previous owner installed the optional 14t it comes with.
I'm also looking at upgrading servo's either the pro modeler470 or the savox 1231sg any others I should consider? as far as servo mounts I was looking to order the just bash it. using either of those I won't need to run a BEC correct? what about adding a fan kit like the yeah racing ?
my stock copperhead2's are pretty beat, I was looking at the backflip LP's or proline badland 3.8's which should I go with?
anything else you guys recommend, this is my first dip into electric R/C and it's wild.

I bent the wing mount, ordered another, bent that one too. I run it like that, whatever :)
You have to check the pillow balls and their retainers every now and then. Keep the balls snug to the arms, and the retainers (big round red things) tight enough to have little play, but not too tight or it won't steer.
I run 100k center, 50/20 F/R (mixed fluids so that are approximate values) and like it. Many if not most will go thicker (50/500/30 or such).
Another servo option is one of the cheap (15ish $) 20+ kg servos off ebay or aliexpress. Really decent for the price!
I didn't need a fan with the speed pinion on 6s. Motor was just below cooking. :)
I'd go with LPs, great tires but not as big and heavy as the 6s version, relatively cheap.

It's just weird that I have the throttle problem only in the Kraton and not in the Talion running the same motor and ESC combo. Could it be bad differential something?

Could be. Does it roll smoothly with the motor disconnected (removed or pinion off)? Is it overgeared? What pinion is on it?

Since you put 2020 on the header of this thread you should take off any recommendations of Voltage hobbies so newbies don't waste their money ordering from their site... And you should probably update with new brands.

Since you put 2020 on the header of this thread you should take off any recommendations of Voltage hobbies so newbies don't waste their money ordering from their site... And you should probably update with new brands.
Is Voltage Hobbies closing?

Yeah, is Voltage not doing well? I thought I remember hearing somewhere else that people have ordered stuff from them and they were having a hard time getting their product. I'm sure with the great quality and fast shipping of M2C racing haven't helped either. LOL

Is Voltage Hobbies closing?

It appears they haven't fulfilled any orders for a few months, even though they show "in stock" on their website and collect payment. Lot's of people seem to have been screwed. M2C and justbashitrc.com seem to be the 7075 aluminum providers of choice now.

I’ve broken a few things in my first week:
1) tie rod - replaced
2) wing mount - rpm and m2c coming.
3) screw stuck in the rear shock mount. m2c coming.

got m2c shock covers

running it without the wing. looks badbass but wan wing for protection

Attachments

• EA47785B-67A0-4365-BE1B-D2E6DF5129EE.jpeg
    EA47785B-67A0-4365-BE1B-D2E6DF5129EE.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 77
  • F5AC2E9E-22CF-4B71-9366-0A527B35DFC6.png
    F5AC2E9E-22CF-4B71-9366-0A527B35DFC6.png
    315.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 34FE8E36-C6A5-49D2-AC76-3956E665DFEE.png
    34FE8E36-C6A5-49D2-AC76-3956E665DFEE.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 90
How much of this is applicable to the V4? Radio I get; but buying a brand new vehicle and dropping an additional 130ish..woo wee!

I am evaluating the K4s K6s (probably run on 4s because of buddy owning K4s) and an unmentionable competitor. All platforms have their weaknesses and trying to see which one will keep me on the road the most. This will NOT be shot off a big ramp at 70 MPH. More backyard basher and ball diamond type stuff. I have another hobby vehicle that my son currently drives that isn't a speed demon.

Just trying to learn what is all out there for the enthusiast that wants to run...not wrench. I broke onto the RC scene when the Associate RC10, Kyosho Ultima and Team Losi ruled the roost. *sigh*.;..I feel old now. :)

How much of this is applicable to the V4? Radio I get; but buying a brand new vehicle and dropping an additional 130ish..woo wee!

I am evaluating the K4s K6s (probably run on 4s because of buddy owning K4s) and an unmentionable competitor. All platforms have their weaknesses and trying to see which one will keep me on the road the most. This will NOT be shot off a big ramp at 70 MPH. More backyard basher and ball diamond type stuff. I have another hobby vehicle that my son currently drives that isn't a speed demon.

Just trying to learn what is all out there for the enthusiast that wants to run...not wrench. I broke onto the RC scene when the Associate RC10, Kyosho Ultima and Team Losi ruled the roost. *sigh*.;..I feel old now. :)
The K6S will be great on 4S without a bunch of mods. It’s only when you push them to the limit and jump them big that you need to open your wallet.

That makes a lot of sense. Just hard to look through the threads between the two manufacturers to see what you are getting into. I totally understand go big or go home...but I want it to last. :)

The K6S will be great on 4S without a bunch of mods. It’s only when you push them to the limit and jump them big that you need to open your wallet.
Spot on! I can speak to this from 1sr hand experience. My son has a 6S Outcast that he runs on 4S and it's a tank. He does not or will not "feather" the throttle...it's all or nothing. As i maintain our fleet his requires the least amount of wrenching. So I'd suggest spending a little extra on tbe 6S and not having to mod anything while running on 4S...then someday, when you're up for it you can drop a 6S in there and become a true addict. ??

Spot on! I can speak to this from 1sr hand experience. My son has a 6S Outcast that he runs on 4S and it's a tank. He does not or will not "feather" the throttle...it's all or nothing. As i maintain our fleet his requires the least amount of wrenching. So I'd suggest spending a little extra on tbe 6S and not having to mod anything while running on 4S...then someday, when you're up for it you can drop a 6S in there and become a true addict. ??

Yeah, that was the thought process I was having. I like the idea of growing into the 6s (when I solo bash). Not that I cant handle the speed...But I would want to get used to all the parts, how they work (need maint)...etc before going full gusto and still run very similar speed of my cohorts.

Also during these times parts are getting rare due to supply chain issues (to be expected; not liked :) ) I don't want to go busting parts and waiting for an eternity to get replacements. I have been going over the upgrade lists and first run check lists...etc trying to get a feel of what I would need to address if I get one.

Yeah, that was the thought process I was having. I like the idea of growing into the 6s (when I solo bash). Not that I cant handle the speed...But I would want to get used to all the parts, how they work (need maint)...etc before going full gusto and still run very similar speed of my cohorts.

Also during these times parts are getting rare due to supply chain issues (to be expected; not liked :) ) I don't want to go busting parts and waiting for an eternity to get replacements. I have been going over the upgrade lists and first run check lists...etc trying to get a feel of what I would need to address if I get one.
Very sound reasoning. ?
I'm having to scrounge a little for parts currently to keep my rigs running. Luckily i was foolish enough to buy more than what i needed in spare parts prior to this BS ?.
If you haven't heard of it yet check out Jenny's RC. It's a kit breaker site. You can pick up spare parts in bulk and get more bang. Of course not as well stocked to do the shortage of product available but keep checking and you'll eventually find what you need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back