Kraton Recommended Arrma Kraton & Talion Upgrades 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. So it seems like the two models don't share a lot of the same parts, meaning I will need to go hunting for the right parts to upgrade on the Talion out of the box. Apart from obviously checking all the screws and oils etc, I usually replace some of the more obviously inferior parts on a new car before even taking it out the first time..

I would say it's probably like 50/50 on what is the same. The diffs, gearboxes, a arms, front cv axles, rear dog bones, sway bars, servo mount, motor mount and a few other odds and ends are the same.

This thread goes back a long ways. I read back to page 16 which seems to start to get in to versions of the Kraton prior to V5.

SO, on the V5 Kraton what does a newbie really need to keep an eye on? I don't jump mine off the roof of the house, and the hobby shop guy warned me about staying off the throttle when landing. So far so good nothing's broken so far. Range seems excellent.

I thought I might need to check the diffs, but is that an older version thing and not needed now? Rear wing seems a bit flimsy so I'm gonna put some washers and probably longer mounting screws through that to firm it up.

I'll start doing some research on shock oils and diff fluids as well.

This thread goes back a long ways. I read back to page 16 which seems to start to get in to versions of the Kraton prior to V5.

SO, on the V5 Kraton what does a newbie really need to keep an eye on? I don't jump mine off the roof of the house, and the hobby shop guy warned me about staying off the throttle when landing. So far so good nothing's broken so far. Range seems excellent.

I thought I might need to check the diffs, but is that an older version thing and not needed now? Rear wing seems a bit flimsy so I'm gonna put some washers and probably longer mounting screws through that to firm it up.

You can assume that all Arrmas are shipped with underfilled diffs.

I'd still check the diff fluids for being underfilled. Consider changing the steering servo and adding clips to the servo saver, not necessary depending on if you're fine with the steering. I'd also swap out the wing mount to one from 3DRC. If you don't do it now, you'll likely be trying to extract snapped mount screws or replacing the bulkhead later.

After that, just upgrade as things break. Start shearing shock screws? Switch to M2C M4 stand offs, same with shock towers etc. The only preventative upgrades most people do are upgrading the chassis braces, but that's up to your budget. I run a full roll cage on my Kraton and I think it's worth it. Not necessary though.

On my Kraton V5 6S I turned up the steering rate on the transmitter to almost max and that seemed to help a lot with the handling for my driving style (so far). I've been mainly on neighborhood roads with the occasional across the lawn run. If the servo gives up the ghost I'll swap that out with a good mount.

I've seen some put screws through the stock rear wing mount drilling out the center to firm it up. I'll probably try that first.

I'm probably less bashy (is that a word) than most on this forum so we'll see how it goes. I'd like to set mine up to drift a bit more so I might start playing with diff fluids once I get used to it with the factory 10K 100K 10K setup. I don't run it at 100%, just too fast for my skill level at present, so it spends a lot of it's time at 50 or 75.

On my Kraton V5 6S I turned up the steering rate on the transmitter to almost max and that seemed to help a lot with the handling for my driving style (so far). I've been mainly on neighborhood roads with the occasional across the lawn run. If the servo gives up the ghost I'll swap that out with a good mount.

I've seen some put screws through the stock rear wing mount drilling out the center to firm it up. I'll probably try that first.

I'm probably less bashy (is that a word) than most on this forum so we'll see how it goes. I'd like to set mine up to drift a bit more so I might start playing with diff fluids once I get used to it with the factory 10K 100K 10K setup. I don't run it at 100%, just too fast for my skill level at present, so it spends a lot of it's time at 50 or 75.

Steering rate should be maxed out pretty much always. Make sure to set your end points with the steering rate maxed.

Yep I calibrated the steering to the controller. If that was called out in the manual I sure missed it.

Out of the box my controller steering setting was only like 60%.

Mine was the same; it seems they didn't bother to set the endpoints at the factory and instead cranked the SR down until the servo wasn't overextending. I guess that works out of the box but could cause trouble for an R/C newbie who cranks SR all the way up thinking it will improve steering response but instead wrecks the servo. Lazy and not failsafe practice.

has any body bent the kraton v5 chassis yet not heard anyone complaining about it .

Stupid questions incoming.

This thread seems to be mostly about the Kraton, rather than the Talion. From my limited knowledge and research, it looks like parts from the two models are interchangeable. Is that true? If so, to what degree? If there's any differences then I guess I have twenty pages to wade through.

Also, the first post and many of the initial pages are from five years ago (and quite a few of the suggested links now no longer work). I know Arrma have produced upgraded Talions since then so I was wondering how much of the initial "replace this part with this part' is still true for the newer version of the Talion please? For instance, the initial post recommends replacing the Spektrum STX2 with another radio. the newer Talions come with DX3 radios, so is this still true?

I think i'd like to upgrade the shocks to bigger bore ones and replace the tyres maybe with some Badlands for my local track, but apart from that, I am unsure what else to do. Is the Spektrum S652 on the current model a dog, or will it be ok for a beginner to misuse, for instance? I've always been a real fan of Spektrum stuff, using their radios for over a decade on my cars without not so much as a hitch (My old DX5R is still in perfect working condition).

I too struggled with Talion specific information, the Kraton is not the same, only very similar. My truck is almost completely finished though if you had any questions. I pretty much have M2C and HR everything unless I thought it wasn't worth it. Its the 2021 Talion EXB RTR.

Amazing truck. But I spend more in upgrades than the truck itself.

Still can't figure out what to do with the M2C shock tower brace, it really doesn't fit good on the Talion.

Cheers!

I would shim at the point of service. if they aren't shimmed now then just wait until you feel it's time to give them a service. Mind you if my punch level was high and I was driving it hard off the line then I may be inclined to do it sooner rather than later. I would also do all the diffs at the same time if it were me.

Been ripping my Typhon V5 just checked and added fluids and shims when I bought it probably got 40 packs through it. The crane exb did the same thing.👍

I would say it's probably like 50/50 on what is the same. The diffs, gearboxes, a arms, front cv axles, rear dog bones, sway bars, servo mount, motor mount and a few other odds and ends are the same.
Am definitely a 6s noob,currently have a bigrock that's constantly upgrading, am picking up 1/8 exb kraton next week,go to do my first roller build,appreciate any input...

Hi Slick, when you say center drive shafts, are you referring to the dog bones that are known to fall out from the wheel retainers?

Arrma #ARAC3982
No, the center shafts that drive the diff input cups from the motor.

Do you happen to know the part number for these center shafts? Are the EXB shafts a direct fit into the K6s V5?
Not sure if they are the same or not, but the EXB shafts should fit anyway as the orientation and layout of the chassis is the same. You can go on Arrma-rc.com and pull up the interactive exploded parts diagram for both models and see the difference in parts from one to the other.

Do you happen to know the part number for these center shafts? Are the EXB shafts a direct fit into the K6s V5?
Yes the Kraton EXB drive shafts are the same as the Kraton V5.
AR310460 - DOGBONE 135mm (1pc)
AR310472 - DOGBONE 116mm (1pc)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back