Kraton Recommended Arrma Kraton & Talion Upgrades 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tidbit about Jenny's. I wonder if you can get a roller cost effectively and add the electronics (Tx, Rx, ESC, Motor). Been reading the SCXT upgrade thread...LOL! Only issue is warranty. But if you put your own electronics in, seems to be the weakest part.

EDIT: Nope, no rollers.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just bought a Kraton 6S last week after 30 years of not being into RC. I also bought myself a 2011 Tamiya Avante and a RC10T5M to build with my son but that's another issue.

I have not had a RTR car before and was worried this would be frustrating but it seems with all the modding, there's plenty to take apart and put back together.

I just need some help on a few options. Many of the metal upgrade parts seem to be aimed at the version 3/2/1 Kraton and as result, I don't know which bits I could/should buy for mine. For example, I notice the lower arm support is already red metal on my car, there's also a metal steering components and some kind of plate spanning the top of the front bulkhead.

Do any of these bits need doing? some seem to come with other parts, eg. I want to change the steering bellcranks and they come with a metal steering arm to join the two of them.

I have already bought a gpm servo mount, front and rear chassis braces, rpm front arms, front bumper (need to buy a talion bumper to fit it) and a metal diff casing for the centre diff. I plan to switchn to 500k weight diff oil in the centre.

I just really want to know about this upper front bulkhead plate. Looks like I have a metal one already - am I wasting time/money with that one?

I also note that the rear chassis brace seems to be supported by the rear wing mounts, and so I suspect this will need strengthening, I'm just conscious of all the aluminium (UK) replacements having no flex and just transferring the load elsewhere. I think rpm is probably the best option for the wing mounts therefore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I just bought a Kraton 6S last week after 30 years of not being into RC. I also bought myself a 2011 Tamiya Avante and a RC10T5M to build with my son but that's another issue.

I have not had a RTR car before and was worried this would be frustrating but it seems with all the modding, there's plenty to take apart and put back together.

I just need some help on a few options. Many of the metal upgrade parts seem to be aimed at the version 3/2/1 Kraton and as result, I don't know which bits I could/should buy for mine. For example, I notice the lower arm support is already red metal on my car, there's also a metal steering components and some kind of plate spanning the top of the front bulkhead.

Do any of these bits need doing? some seem to come with other parts, eg. I want to change the steering bellcranks and they come with a metal steering arm to join the two of them.

I have already bought a gpm servo mount, front and rear chassis braces, rpm front arms, front bumper (need to buy a talion bumper to fit it) and a metal diff casing for the centre diff. I plan to switchn to 500k weight diff oil in the centre.

I just really want to know about this upper front bulkhead plate. Looks like I have a metal one already - am I wasting time/money with that one?

I also note that the rear chassis brace seems to be supported by the rear wing mounts, and so I suspect this will need strengthening, I'm just conscious of all the aluminium (UK) replacements having no flex and just transferring the load elsewhere. I think rpm is probably the best option for the wing mounts therefore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RPM arms are fine - they do not fit flush with the M2C shock mount (rear) so FYI you will need to dremel shave a bit of it off if you run with the m2c.

I am running 15k front 200k mid and 10k rear with plans to go 60/500/30. Just being a baby about it.

I don’t have an M2C shock mount. I can’t imagine bending a stock one but I guess it happens.

when you say being a baby about it, does it have a significant impact on the way the car drives? I’m assuming it will have much more rear end drive?

Wasn’t sure if I need to do the metal centre diff housing too, thoughts?

This is the bit I accidentally ordered Without thinking about but have a feeling I don't need on the V4.

did I mess up?

https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.ph...-plate-kra-sen-typ&manufacturer_id=11&page=31

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and have been reading a lot about the v4 kraton 6s. I'm trying to get an idea on cost for car + upgrades. I currently have a redcat xb10e buggy (1/10th) that I bought used. It's been fun, but I'm wanting a "real" rc car. I mainly mess around in grass and dirt and just want something tough.

Is shimming the diffs relevant for v4? So far, below is the list based on what I've read. Any suggestions other than below?

Futaba 3PV controller
M2c Chassis braces
Gka servo mount
Batteries - currently use venom. Could buy 2 3s 5000 mah, but those would be $80 each. Sounds like 1 6s pack would be better.
Rpm Front bumper (need a typhon bumper for this to work?)
Rpm Rear bumper
Fast eddy bearings
Sw1210 sg servo

You can get a cheaper servo, radio and batteries if you're on a budget. Servo 15$, radio 25$, both packs for 80 or less.

Otherwise seems like a good list. You don't really need the servo mount, I just put longer screws into mine and removed the rubber crap on top. Works great.

Do any of you recommend a center diff upgrade for the kraton 6s v4?

my center diff just blew apart and there’s a dime sized hole on the diff. My pinion worked it’s way toward the motor mount as well.

but I’m deff missing some stuff inside the diff and when I squeeze the throttle the gears just spin and it doesn’t engage the front or rear wheels lol.

I’m going to look for a diff upgrade tonight but figured it wouldn’t hurt to get opinions first.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5CB40295-50B2-45BA-86E5-1960DAB10B7C.jpeg
    5CB40295-50B2-45BA-86E5-1960DAB10B7C.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 126
Get the arrma genuine one. It’s three piece and the wear pieces are steel unlike other aftermarket options which are two piece having an aluminium thrust surface which can’t last.

Get the arrma genuine one. It’s three piece and the wear pieces are steel unlike other aftermarket options which are two piece having an aluminium thrust surface which can’t last.

is this what you mean by the Arrma one?

https://www.rcplanet.com/arrma-center-differential-set-50t-100k-oil-ara310959/
And the pinion gear working toward the motor mount. I don’t get it. The kraton 8s had so much lock tight on it’s pinion set screw that it was seized to the engine shaft. I had to heat it to hell and back to pull it. But the 6s pinion hasn’t been touched and keeps working it’s way toward the mount... lol

Is it too early to ask if there will be any necessary upgrades to the exb out of the box? (Obviously other than electronics) I was getting ready to pull the trigger on my first arrma with the v4 and then saw the exb just in time. I went ahead and preordered even though I already had several upgrades on the way to support the v4.

Just referencing the normal list, it looks like bearings, bumpers and braces are the non-electronics upgrades for the v4. The exb has the metal braces and I saw it has a front bumper. Do we know if the bearings are good out of the box now? Do diffs need to be shimmed? Probably stupid question to ask right now since only a few youtubers have them.

Is it too early to ask if there will be any necessary upgrades to the exb out of the box? (Obviously other than electronics) I was getting ready to pull the trigger on my first arrma with the v4 and then saw the exb just in time. I went ahead and preordered even though I already had several upgrades on the way to support the v4.

Just referencing the normal list, it looks like bearings, bumpers and braces are the non-electronics upgrades for the v4. The exb has the metal braces and I saw it has a front bumper. Do we know if the bearings are good out of the box now? Do diffs need to be shimmed? Probably stupid question to ask right now since only a few youtubers have them.
Hey! I'm in the exact same boat as you! I have a spare MMX and motor and I was planning on building a kraton up from all hop-up parts slowly over the course of a year or so... Then the EXB showed up and I was on the phone with my LHS in 5 mins flat, haha! Diffs should be okay... the v4 had shims on the outdives out of the box and the beefier gears should help as well. The bearings are a question mark so far, though Fast Eddy already has a sealed ceramic kit listed on their site.

FWIW the stuff that I've gotten so far is:
RPM Skid Plate - standard fare for protection
Arrma Wheelie Bar - same as above
Arrma Ball Bearing 6x10x3mm (4pcs) - replaces the bushing in the steering (smoother and more durable)
Arrma Rounded Droop Screws - stops the droop screws from digging into the chassis, M2C makes a more posh (and more expensive) version of these as well
Hot Racing Aluminum Fixed Link Steering Arm - stronger and it looks nice
Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Mount - help sure up the center diff area
Hot Racing Aluminum Center Diff cover - same as above
Hot Racing Aluminum Center Brace Front Mount - see below
Hot Racing Aluminum Center Brace Rear Mount - this and the front brace will help to move the point of failure to the plastic rod ends on the tower to tower brace and those rod ends are not only cheap, but very quick and easy to replace

Do any of you recommend a center diff upgrade for the kraton 6s v4?

my center diff just blew apart and there’s a dime sized hole on the diff. My pinion worked it’s way toward the motor mount as well.
Stock diff is fine, my guess is that the diff was low on oil, the oil is needed to handle the heat of the diff, no oil - melted diff.

Stock diff is fine, my guess is that the diff was low on oil, the oil is needed to handle the heat of the diff, no oil - melted diff.
I'm topping off the diff fluid on my new exb... I can just mix the new fluid with the current correct? I'm hoping to just add some diff fluid and call it good without tearing everything down. I have 2 4s runs on them.

I'm topping off the diff fluid on my new exb... I can just mix the new fluid with the current correct? I'm hoping to just add some diff fluid and call it good without tearing everything down. I have 2 4s runs on them.
As long as you’re using silicon oil, then yes. You can mix.

Hi there.. Question - I bought my Kraton new and unused from a guy on ebay who had installed the big POS bumper on it, and I cannot for the life of me understand why a bumper would be designed in such a way as to allow the hinge pins to just slide out. Anyway, I ordered a stock Kraton bumper(he didn't include mine), thinking I could put it under the big bumper, but can I? Or do I need a Talion bumper?

Or well basically how can I keep my hinge pins in place? Thanks..

ps Not sure if it's a POS bumper or the other popular brand with the huge ugly bumpers people like.. It does seem functional though I guess, and has saved me a time or two.. Though it is also kind of warped looking and will also dig in occasionally, causing ugly unwished for flipovers... I also suspect its size and mass puts a strain on the bulkhead screws, one of which is already completely stripped....

But whatever. I just want my hinge pins to stay in place for now...

pps I also bought the RPM bumper, because I think it looks better.. Not sure what options there are for that to keep the HPs in place... I prefer the looks of the RPM bumper compared to the T-bone/POS(whichever it is...)

Last edited:
You need a typhon bumper.

Stock kraton bumper won’t work as it wraps underneath the front of the chassis in the same location as your larger bumper.

It comes as part of this pack:

New ARRMA Kraton Typhon Notorious Ball Cups Composite AR330230
877699AC-A279-45AC-A07F-192C84E45AE3.png

Thanks a lot... I forgot I actually ordered that from the US a few weeks ago.. Takes a month usually. Hope it shows up eventually.. Thanks again... I think I will go with that and the RPM bumper then.. (hope I can get my big M4 screw out I have in place of the normal screw in the totally stripped out hole in the bulkhead.. I got a spare bulkhead but that's a lot of wrenching for one stripped hole...)

You would think with all these aftermarket bumper options there'd be one designed to keep the hinge pins in place. As is I can't help but find it pretty freakin' stupid that they are allowed to just slide out like that... ?‍♂️

Bumper bit arrived and mounted. All good...

My RPM mud guards just arrived. NOT good. They don't fit the V4.. Would have been nice to know that.... (RPM...) :rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back