Granite recommended brushless upgrade for arrma granite 4x4 mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard191

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Hey guys, so it looks like my (stock) motor or esc has died on my arrma granite 4x4 mega. Its behaving like its got a flat battery even when it has got a fully charged 2s lipo in. so i guess now is the time to upgrade to brushless. I have done a lot of reading online and it would seem the Hobbywing EZrun Max 10 sct with 3660 3200kv motor is the way to go. Im thinking the 120a rating on the esc means it will be less prone to over heating.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbyw...3200kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420924

Im guessing i should slip the 17t pinion gear in as well. Can I leave the plastic stock spur gear as it is? or should this be changed as well to cope with the power of brushless? does anyone know what kind of speeds i can expect with this esc and motor combo and 17t pinion? im hoping i can get closer to the 30mph stated on the box :)

I perhaps should mention that i will be running 2s lipos mainly with a few nimh that i bought when i first got the granite. Maybe i will want to run 3s in the future but im in no rush, im still learning.

thanks in advance for any and all feed back, i very much appreciate it

Richard191

I run the mega to on surpass hobby 3660 3300kv on 2s with the mega diff's I run 17/57. u need the blx slipper setup. if u are going to run 3s u really need the blx diff's and the input gear too.
What he said. Presuming you don't have one of the newest wave models, you should replave yoyr slipper with the 57t 3s slipper assembly, upgrade your pinion to 0.8mod, put the hd diff inputs in, and also get those diffs filled with oil! Also worth buying the driveshaft carrier and bearing IMO.

I have the max10sct withe the 3200kv in my typhon (which started life as a mega but now runs 4s).

nice, thanks for the replys. so if i want to keep just on 2s i would be ok without those extra upgrades?

nice, thanks for the replys. so if i want to keep just on 2s i would be ok without those extra upgrades?
It'll probably run for a bit, but i suspect that 48dp spur will strip pretty quickly. Mine did! That brushless motor and esc is a big upgrade from the brushed mega motor. My preferred route is to upgrade as i break stuff (so im in a fairly constant upgrade cycle lol).

yeah excellent advice cheers guys. I think il have to follow your advice and do the motor and esc upgrade, then commit to upgrading the rest of the parts as i need them, hopefully i can spread the cost over a couple of months. I am a complete noob at this hobby so any links to give me an idea of the parts i will need would be massively appreciated

u can get parts from jenny's rc when part's are in stock.

yeah excellent advice cheers guys. I think il have to follow your advice and do the motor and esc upgrade, then commit to upgrading the rest of the parts as i need them, hopefully i can spread the cost over a couple of months. I am a complete noob at this hobby so any links to give me an idea of the parts i will need would be massively appreciated
Which country are you in?

Im in the uk so i bought the car online from rcgeeks. Iv seen the motor and esc combo on modelsport.co.uk They look like they can fit a deans connector to it for a small charge.

Last edited:

ahh nice one, thats exactly what i needed to get me on my way, quick silly question, how does the set screw for the pinion go in, doesn't look like it has any thread.
and you recon the 15 tooth rather than the 17 tooth pinion?

On the shaft of the pinion gear is a 4mm threaded hole - you screw the set screw in there (use threadlocker). Noddy point, but the motor shaft has a flat side - make sure the set screw screws in and contacts the flat side otherwise the pinion will spin off. Youll also find there is a neater place to mount the max10sct than on top of the radio box. Remind me tomorrow and ill take a pic to show you - currently away.

Where in UK are you?

im in bracknell in berkshire, about 30 miles west of london. looking at the picture of the pinion set screw it looks like it has no thread just smooth sides likewise the 4mm hole in the side on the pinion gear looks like it has no thread for the set screw to grip on to?

im in bracknell in berkshire, about 30 miles west of london. looking at the picture of the pinion set screw it looks like it has no thread just smooth sides likewise the 4mm hole in the side on the pinion gear looks like it has no thread for the set screw to grip on to?
Its threaded mate - definitely! Tbh ive been through a few set screws though (stripped the hole on the set screw). If youre as fat handed as me, worth buying a few spares!

Im in Birmingham so too far to share bashing spots!

lol, cheers mate yep your a wealth of information. I very much appreciate it. that list is exactly what i needed.
do you recommend changing out the stock servo?
would the above listed part enable running with 3s any idea on top speead with 15t/57 slipper spur configeration? 2s and 3s?

Last edited:
lol, cheers mate yep your a wealth of information. I very much appreciate it. that list is exactly what i needed.
do you recommend changing out the stock servo?
would the above listed part enable running with 3s any idea on top speead with 15t/57 slipper spur configeration? 2s and 3s?
Deffos worth swapping the servo out. The 25kg amazon specials are the business!
The above should make 3s running reliable. ive never measured speed of my converted typhon but it is side by side with my mates stock 3s and that is rated at 50mph plus per arrma. Fwiw i also put new shock oil in my shocks. don't remember weight but can tell you tmw.
Ah yeah - just remembered the other thing i did... are your turnbuckles and steering rods plastic? If so get them replaced with the metal ones as soon as they break.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-rod-end-set-4x4/rc-car-products/434613

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-steel-turnbuckle-m4x48mm-black-2-/rc-car-products/439811

Last edited:
ok cool, im not sure where they go but yeah the granite is mostly plasic so no doubt when it breaks it will become clear to me what needs rplacing lol. seems like amazon have lots of options for 20-25kg servos, do you know which one i would need

Heres the pic i promised

20200903_090011.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back