Notorious Recommended Notorious upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a month in on my v5 and I broke the wing/wheelie bar mount, front bumper, and rear diff driveshaft outdrive cup. My pinion gear is also looking pretty worn down which, on my Kraton, did the same thing but worse lol I already had to replace the pinion gear on that one

Actually it's been a couple months lol I bash pretty decent, nothing too crazy though.,

Last edited:
just got the notorious v5. Wondering what is first to break? What spares should i order? Upgrades or stock
I just got mine shortly before you did, and as much as I want to do upgrades but I’ll wait till something breaks. I’m new to the hobby and have heard about folks buying these RTRs and stripping them and putting all new stuff on it before even driving it. Plus with the lack of products on the shelf it’s hard to plan around that. If I dig into something, or have to remove things to get to what needs to be fixed that’s the time to upgrade. I see where people have problems with the stock servo on the notorious, I haven’t had any issues yet, but when it gives me a problem I’ll fix it then. The RPM front bumper is a must have out of the gate!
just got the notorious v5. Wondering what is first to break? What spares should i order? Upgrades or stock
Oh and get a dusty motors cover!

You know, a lot of people said the servo mount, but really, it's pretty stiff and I don't think I noticed any real difference between stock and an alloy one on my outcast, even with a 300oz/in+ servo... just seemed like a waste of $20. Mine was the 2018 outcast, so maybe they stiffened it up some by then? I mean, it flexed a little bit, but it wasn't like a boiled noodle or anything. My chassis would flex more than that thing did. lol!

If you want to do big air jumps, M2C chassis and alloy chassis braces would be my starting point. Throw in the EXB front bumper or RPM bumper as well. Then upgrade as needed.

You know, a lot of people said the servo mount, but really, it's pretty stiff and I don't think I noticed any real difference between stock and an alloy one on my outcast, even with a 300oz/in+ servo... just seemed like a waste of $20. Mine was the 2018 outcast, so maybe they stiffened it up some by then? I mean, it flexed a little bit, but it wasn't like a boiled noodle or anything. My chassis would flex more than that thing did. lol!

If you want to do big air jumps, M2C chassis and alloy chassis braces would be my starting point. Throw in the EXB front bumper or RPM bumper as well. Then upgrade as needed.
I agree i didnt see much flex in my stock servo mount after i put a ds3235 servo on it. But i went ahead n put a str mount on 🤷‍♂️

I agree i didnt see much flex in my stock servo mount after i put a ds3235 servo on it. But i went ahead n put a str mount on 🤷‍♂️
I replaced mine with a werks racing (I think that was the brand) which was a one piece alloy mount... I succumbed to peer pressure. lol!

I bought my v5 about 2 months ago n absolutely love it. That being said first thing you should upgrade is the wing mounts and front bumper. I went with RPM and they've held up really well. I'd also suggest a heatsink/fan for the motor. The temps get a little high without one. There are some small mods you can do as well. I had issues with my dog ones popping out of the diff cups in the front. Check out East Tactics on youtube. He does mod videos. I ended up following his suggestion to remove the spacers on the front a arms n my dog ones haven't popped out since.

My must have list:

- RPM FRONT BUMPER
- HOT RACING SERVO MOUNT
- BETTER SERVO
- M2C CHASSIS BRACES
- M2C REAR TOWER BRACE
- DRYWALL TAPE / SHOO GOO THE BODY
- THICKER CENTER DIFF FLUID
- BALANCE THE TIRES

What does the rear tower brace do?
Helps avoid bending the rear tower. Also helps transfer the energy of a rear tower hit to the rear center brace vs the rear bulkhead taking the brunt of it. Probably not worth running one if you don't have an alloy rear chassis brace.

Not sure if they work with the later model trucks though with the upper chassis brace.

I have one on my outcast, I believe it's a v2 (bought in 2018).

You can see it here, it's the silver legs going from the top of the rear chassis brace to the top of the shock tower. You have to drill 2 holes in the tower to bolt it on:
2021-0402-outcast-Rocket4092-1650kv-chassisTop.jpg

Yes, they work with newer trucks. Center brace not an issue

Metal rear diff housing is a must. Exb front bumper also. Then m2c rear tower and brace. Then the tower to brace brackets. Then repeat those tjings for the front end. I don't run a wing anymore, just wheelie bar. I got tired of digging out broken wing mount screws because of my bad landings. The wheelie bar alone has held up way better, and actually makes it more graceful in the air.

Hi, I just got my Notorious 6s V5 today and was wondering if I needed to shim the diffs before I run the truck? The supplied shims say to break it in and then add them. Did any of you do this? Also, did you change out the oil in the diffs? I checked for leaks and there weren’t any on the truck. I will upgrade as I need but just wanted to make sure I don’t kill my diffs on day one.

Thank you for any input....

Hi, I just got my Notorious 6s V5 today and was wondering if I needed to shim the diffs before I run the truck? The supplied shims say to break it in and then add them. Did any of you do this? Also, did you change out the oil in the diffs? I checked for leaks and there weren’t any on the truck. I will upgrade as I need but just wanted to make sure I don’t kill my diffs on day one.

Thank you for any input....
Yes, you can add one more shim to each diff. If you wanted to change the diff fluid go with 60/300/30k.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back