Recommended shock oil weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I've been out of the basher world for several years, so my knowledge of setting up shocks on a basher has been pretty much lost. I'm getting new Proline PowerStroke 14mm bore shocks for my Typhon 3S, and they come without oil. What weight of shock oil is recommended for a vehicle that won't see a lot of hard jumps? Should the weight be different in the front than in the back?

I would appreciate your recommendations.

Since these are aftermarket shocks, PL doesn't put oil in them. It is personal preference.
Start by using the stock weight oil. (what's in the OE shocks). But that is only a reference, because the pistons on these PL shocks are different than the OE. So what feels like 40 weight oil in the OE shock may feel thicker or thinner in weight for the PL Power Stroke shocks.
Trial error.
My opinion... 40 weight oil is a start. We all drive differently. What works for me may not work for you. Again trial and error.
Search for the OE Stock Oil weight for comparison. Perhaps use what is stock weight to start.
Make sure to let the shocks sit after filling them to let any air out before sealing them closed. Too much air in the oil will make the shocks perform worse.
Yes you can use different weights front and rear. Again personal preference. I would start with the same weight front and rear. That is how the stock setup is. Experiment from there if you want more Shock Pack (damping rate) in the front versus the rear, etc. These are very different shocks than the Stockers, and dialing them in will be key. You may also want the PL Optional Spring set pack for these PowerStrokes. To dial in the spring rate.
:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info: I wasn't sure what the stock weight was. I'll start by getting a bottle of 40 weight: I have an unopened bottle of 50 weight oil on hand, so I can experiment if the 40 is too thin.

I just finished getting my Proline PowerStroke shocks installed. I'm trying 45 weight (575 cst) oil first as that is closest I could get locally to the 550 cst ARRMA uses in the factory shocks. I have 50 wt and 60 wt oil on hand in case I need to go with a thicker oil, but I will run the 45 for now and experiment with preload before I start changing oil.

I just finished getting my Proline PowerStroke shocks installed. I'm trying 45 weight (575 cst) oil first as that is closest I could get locally to the 550 cst ARRMA uses in the factory shocks. I have 50 wt and 60 wt oil on hand in case I need to go with a thicker oil, but I will run the 45 for now and experiment with preload before I start changing oil.
what weight did you end up finding was best? same situation

I've been out of the basher world for several years, so my knowledge of setting up shocks on a basher has been pretty much lost. I'm getting new Proline PowerStroke 14mm bore shocks for my Typhon 3S, and they come without oil. What weight of shock oil is recommended for a vehicle that won't see a lot of hard jumps? Should the weight be different in the front than in the back?

I would appreciate your recommendations.

Others know better but I put 500/600cst (40-45'ish?) in the 3S and its nice on the road. Close to stock.

I did the same in the 6S and its to thin for rough terrain. I got 1000cst (80w) for it and some others stuff, not tested it all yet.

IMG_2500.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFCVDUS/?&tag=arrma-20

Thanks for the link😎 i have the typhon 3s brand new, 80 w 1000 cst unopened ( it was a gift) i don’t do big jump i like more the paviment, sand or something like that, but i still don’t know if it work to me when i need it in the future hahaha sorry am new in this

That makes two of us. I just jump head first into things and do lots of reading. Its actually relaxing.
Ive been just trying different oils for the shocks and Difs. Observing the results. Its time consuming but thats kind of the point, for me.

Im seeing that most of these writers come from the point of competition courses, of all types.
But im an Idiot with an RC car. Running on pavement, over potholes, curbs, sidewalks. Walkways, grass, gardens, Running from Dogs and chasing squirrels and cats.
The stock oil setup was very responsive but not forgiving.
The heavier 500/600cst for the shocks is nice on the 3S Typhon and responds well to different tires.

The same in the 6S was still to light. That thing is just so powerful. Especially with larger 2.9+ tires. So I went a little higher, little at a time and a little longer length shocks F/R with the lighter buggy springs. Maybe not prime for competition but I can outrun my daughters big dog easily across the park field without flipping. If I turtle flip, he eats the tires! Fair Game :cool:

That makes two of us. I just jump head first into things and do lots of reading. Its actually relaxing.
Ive been just trying different oils for the shocks and Difs. Observing the results. Its time consuming but thats kind of the point, for me.

Im seeing that most of these writers come from the point of competition courses, of all types.
But im an Idiot with an RC car. Running on pavement, over potholes, curbs, sidewalks. Walkways, grass, gardens, Running from Dogs and chasing squirrels and cats.
The stock oil setup was very responsive but not forgiving.
The heavier 500/600cst for the shocks is nice on the 3S Typhon and responds well to different tires.

The same in the 6S was still to light. That thing is just so powerful. Especially with larger 2.9+ tires. So I went a little higher, little at a time and a little longer length shocks F/R with the lighter buggy springs. Maybe not prime for competition but I can outrun my daughters big dog easily across the park field without flipping. If I turtle flip, he eats the tires! Fair Game :cool:
Hahahahajajaj that’s just great to hear, we all do this for fun and have a nice day play with it , look at me i am learning about Rc and write in another lenguage at the same time, because i’m from Venezuela but i live in Chile my english is intermediate

I am currently running on the typhon 3s, 4s outcast shock shorten stroke to 117mm rear 104mm front like Typhon 6s shocks. Run 50wt from Associated and the car bounces off jump the front is good but the rear to stiff. No preload is the back might try the 45 or 40

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back