Redcat BE6S motor change?

Thread starter #1

joostin420

Arrma RC's
Fazon, Kraton, Outcast, Senton
the esc/motor combo installed is a HW max8 with 4274 2200kv. I am running the stock 47t spur with 19t pinion. Love the speed and performance but this motor gets incredibly hot. I don’t want to really destroy the motor - overgeared for the motor I’m sure...

Maybe the HW 4274 2200kv is just not efficient; the batteries even get warm. Running 2x Venom LiPo 3S 11.1V 5200mAh 50C. The max8 esc doesn’t shutdown by thermal just LVC which is very abrupt; I am guessing it is set fairly high.

I do have a castle 1515 2200kv; would this be any better?

Paultro84

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Arrma RC's
Outcast
I would try a 16 tooth pinion on it and check the temps.

Thread starter #3

joostin420

Arrma RC's
Can’t go backwards now :p

Went up to the 19t from the start. I have not heard anyone else say anything about the motor heat with 19-20t pinion - it is definitely hotter than I would like... I don’t mind if the motor eventually fails, but more concerned about the batteries getting quite warm.

I may swap over to xt90 connectors and ditch the deans also.

Thread starter #4

joostin420

Arrma RC's
Nope not LVC... thermaling. Checked tonight while running earlier. May have to move ahead and try the castle mm2 and 1515 2200kv motor.

GhostProtocol

Arrma RC's
Typhon
I have the TRMT8E 4S version and I run a 19t pinion. Haven't had an issue with overheating so far. By the way, Redcat has a TRMT8E V2 coming out at the end of June. It's 6S but does not have all of the upgrades of the BE6S. Looks to be a beast though. I found out about it when I was scouring the Redcat website last night.

http://www.redcatracing.com/Team-Redcat-TR-MT8E-V2?sc=17&category=32356

Thread starter #6

joostin420

Arrma RC's
The esc definitely thermals on me and the motor gets super hot.

The motor mount and shock towers alone are worth the additional cost of the be6s. I don’t think it was much more than their msrp of that one.

I have only added a T-Bone center skid plate and upgraded the tie rods to arrma nero ones. I plan on replacing the aluminum shock towers with carbon fiber when I have time. It is my go-to rc right now when i go anywhere. That may change though when I configure my Kraton project this weekend, and finish the xmaxx.

Last edited:

GhostProtocol

Arrma RC's
Typhon
The motor mount and shock towers alone are worth the additional cost of the be6s. I plan on replacing the aluminum shock towers with carbon fiber when I have time.
Nice. I've been eyeing the BE6S for a while and I'll probably pick one up after some other purchases. The TR-MT8E has been a rock-solid platform.

Zoodles95

What companies make upgrades for the BE6S?

It is on my hit list for future RCS. I a eyeing up the Talion for my next RC but the BE6S is a beast and a good deal for the way it comes

GhostProtocol

Arrma RC's
Typhon
As a side note, my older sibling picked up the Redcat Shredder V2 the other day. It's very nice with a large chassis that's literally begging to be upgraded with all of the available space. I hope Redcat makes a newer buggy version of the Shredder like they have in the past.