Redcat Rampage R5 - The Unnatural $500 Beast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megasty

RC Mod-Father
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Outcast 8s
  10. Outcast 6s
  11. Senton 6s
  12. Talion
I had bought this truck when it first came out trying to support Redcat's venture to take on the X-maxx with another Chinesium POS that lived up to it's name. I didn't have it long enough to crack it open & mod it before Redcat called me up asking for it back. I had already loctited it & I loved the sound it made so I told them no - but they kept pestering me then refunded me anyway & sent a prepaid shipping label :rolleyes: so I had to send it back. Salt wasn't the word for that feeling.

But I vindicated myself when I found this: $495 Rampage R5 on eBay

I thought it was a joke but I e-mailed the seller & he told me he had ALL of Redcat's stock to sell on demand so I picked up one & got to work on it. Let's see what I'll have to do to it in order to keep it in one piece long enough to break it like a normal RC.

It was really that bad that they refunded you and made you send it back? I heard some horror stories about it but I didn't think it was that bad.

-edit- Anyone ever told you you sound like Morgan Freeman and Cleaveland Brown mixed together?

It was really that bad that they refunded you and made you send it back? I heard some horror stories about it but I didn't think it was that bad.

-edit- Anyone ever told you you sound like Morgan Freeman and Cleaveland Brown mixed together?
RCt was hounding me at one point. The only ppl they gave a choice of keeping it was LHS owners. I didn't have a problem with the 1st truck falling a part. Even the front CVA pin stayed pin place. But it still handled like a buggy instead of a MT. This truck with the few upgrades & adjustments is very close to ideal. The front is a bit wonky when it's wheelie'n but the only way to fix that is with AL parts & this truck won't be able to handle all of that.

I actually hear more of Cleveland Brown mainly because I do vids in an octave higher than my normal voice - since these cheapass gopro things can't pick up most of it if I talk normally. I'm sure Morgan felt my pain too :ROFLMAO:

I finally found the stupid parts I needed to finish this thing. Some of them have the new label. I guess I hounded Redcat enough that they put some more out there.

20201007_194143.jpg

This truck has impressed me to no end. I blew out a bearing in the front diff so the bearing was literally ripped to shreds by the ring & pinion with absolutely no damage to the gears at all. I then replaced every bearing in the truck with rubber sealed. The diffs in this truck are so large that they make the K8S diffs look small. Nothing can wreck these things. Not me, not the truck, nothing. Anyway, I lost steering at the end of this run. Looks like the PM1373 isn't waterproof. Luckily I had another one that I made sure can handle a little wet stuff.

My poor field is getting destroyed by ATVs so I decide to let my R5 show it whose boss. Right now only it & the K8S can survive all the ruts. My O8S broke on 3 straight runs so it's in the pits waiting on upgrades. Seriously, the only reason why I don't have 2 R5s by now is that I don't want to deprive anyone of this beast.

Can you please identify some of the Upgrade parts you added? What are the fans you installed on the motor for example? Other items not covered in the Owners Manual Upgrade List? Thanks

I had another epiphany with this rig. The more I run it, the more I want to jump the thing - so now I have to make it happen. Throwing on the X-Maxx's suspension was more of a success than I ever thought possible. I did manage to figure out the louder than usual diff noise was coming from the front bulkhead being cracked. There's a way of fitting the blue aluminum MT bulkhead with just a few drilled holes in the skid plate.

I had another epiphany with this rig. The more I run it, the more I want to jump the thing - so now I have to make it happen. Throwing on the X-Maxx's suspension was more of a success than I ever thought possible. I did manage to figure out the louder than usual diff noise was coming from the front bulkhead being cracked. There's a way of fitting the blue aluminum MT bulkhead with just a few drilled holes in the skid plate.

Hey I am getting one of these. Was it a direct swap?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back