Redcat Rampage XB Gas to Electric Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I recently picked this up from FB marketplace for $50
This guy's garage flooded and he lost most of the parts (since he was dismantling it to clean/replace parts) among other things.
The dude didn't know who made it, just that it was a 1/5 scale Baja something or another.
Said it ripped when it had its engine.

Can anyone ID it? I cant seem to find anything. The closeness of the top of the front shocks looks apart from anything else I've seen in 1/5 scale.

Transmitter is just for size reference. Sorry for the uneven blurriness, the phone camera cant focus well.

PXL_20201024_013951334.jpg
PXL_20201024_015739635.jpg
PXL_20201024_015810578.jpg

So, the electric version of this vehicle comes with a 150A HW esc (likely a Quickrun 8BL150 $70-100 or Max8) and a 980kV motor.
The closest thing I could find to their motor was the HobbyStar 56113 980kV, which is longer and imho better than what comes stock.

It doesn't look like the stock electronics are matched very well at all.

I am seriously considering the Max5 and 56113, but for $340, it feels like throwing a turbocharged LS into a mini van.

I am designing the motor mount as we speak and might cut it out on the Haas this weekend. I am making it with slots 25mm apart so I can use motors with a 25mm and 30mm M4 holes, just so I can have my options.
I will make sure there is motor body clearance for putting the larger motor on as well.
Also may design a rear motor clamp for both rigidity and help with heat transfer to the chassis plate.

A simple bracket based off drawings and measurements with as few operations as possible while keeping it strong and not too complex.
Takes the place of the front "center diff" mount and uses the rear holes for the receiver/battery box. Went with M4 slots 30mm apart since I don't think I will use a smaller motor at any point.
Made the tool paths, 4 operations. Will hand tap the M4 and M5 threads. Need to go back through to double check and make sure the clearances and tolerances are good tonight before milling tomorrow.

Mobile Upload 2020-10-30 08-45-39.jpg
Mobile Upload 2020-10-30 08-44-42.jpg

It looks like it is a Redcat Rampage XB. I am in love with all these RC cars. This is a very interesting idea to move to an electrical engineer. But how much time will the battery live if you will actively play? And for how long it will recharge to full power. The pluses are that there will be no noise from the engine because mine was a little too noisy and every time I was driving it my neighbors were complaining. And I can recommend you to go to these guys https://bates-electric.com/ they are professionals when it comes to electricity

Last edited:
It looks like it is a Redcat Rampage XB. I am in love with all these RC cars. This is a very interesting idea to move to an electrical engineer. But how much time will the battery live if you will actively play? And for how long it will recharge to full power. The pluses are that there will be no noise from the engine because mine was a little too noisy and every time I was driving it my neighbors were complaining. And I can recommend you to go to these guys https://bates-electric.com/ they are professionals when it comes to electricity
Not sure you need an electrician for outfitting with off the self components. Just have to make sure they are rated for the power used and fit together. I think the conversion is more aligned with mechanical engineering/design. This gets 20-40 minutes of run time, depending on how heavy you are with the throttle.
The new guy who owns it, absolutely loves it and even got his whole family into RC, and now they all do it together as an outdoor activity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back