Vorteks Reduced power then full power again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubberRolling

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Hello everyone,

I keep having my Vorteks run really slow as if it was about to hit LVC then after about a minute it will pick back up to full power. It will do this about twice before eventually hitting LVC at about 3.85V per cell on 3S which seems very high but after perusing this forum is seems like Vorteks' have a very high LVC unfortunately. The batttery is a new Gens 5300mah 60C so I don' think the battery is the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on what that might be please?

Thank you

Make sure the fan is running on the ESC. Sounds like a heat issue.
Thank you, I should have mentioned I took the body off each time to see if everything was okay and the fans are running and the esc wasn't flashing.

Thank you, I should have mentioned I took the body off each time to see if everything was okay and the fans are running and the esc wasn't flashing.
Are the fins clean on the ESC and not full of dry grass etc.? Blow out with air if possible, Then you can use an inferred heat gun to check temps. If new give Horizon Hobby customer service an email and see what they say. Those ESC can go bad or have a bad one from factory.

Are the fins clean on the ESC and not full of dry grass etc.? Blow out with air if possible, Then you can use an inferred heat gun to check temps. If new give Horizon Hobby customer service an email and see what they say. Those ESC can go bad or have a bad one from factory.
Unfortunately this one is used, I bought it to see if my son and I would like it (we do and have a new Granite on the way). I don't have an IF heat gun at this point but I felt the internals by hand and they seemed barely warm by touch. It's pretty cold where I am.

Next check the battery connections to see if any heat in them. Looking for a bad connection. Also check motor lead connections and be sure they are tight and in all the way.

Next check the battery connections to see if any heat in them. Looking for a bad connection. Also check motor lead connections and be sure they are tight and in all the way.
The battery connection was slightly warm if that helps. Thank you! Just ordered an IF thermometer since that seems to be useful in this hobby.
The other connections were all tight. What's your take on the LVC cutoff at 3.85V? My understanding is that on the Granite and Vorteks this is not adjustable, do you find it to be an issue in your trucks?

Do you know are can you post a picture of the type of battery connections. Some are much better than others. If you are finding heat in connector that is the first place to focus and maybe make a change to a better connecotor. A bad connection can cause a drop in voltage that the ESC can read as low voltage and think LVC. Connection cools and good to go for awhile.

Do you know are can you post a picture of the type of battery connections. Some are much better than others. If you are finding heat in connector that is the first place to focus and maybe make a change to a better connecotor. A bad connection can cause a drop in voltage that the ESC can read as low voltage and think LVC. Connection cools and good to go for awhile.
Here is the pic of the battery connector.

IMG_20230125_103405024.jpg

Those are not the best or worst. Is that melted plastic on the backside of the connector? Does not look normal. Looks like possible melting.

Those are not the best or worst. Is that melted plastic on the backside of the connector? Does not look normal. Looks like possible melting.
It doesn't smell like melted plastic but it was a bit harder to remove the plug so maybe this is the culprit? Should I be changing connectors on the truck and battery end? Thanks for all your time by the way!

These are the best I have seen yet. Yes change out the pair. SPMXCA502 Search for these. Link did not work.

Are you using a battery adapter from the lipo to the esc? If so that could also be the problem.

These are the best I have seen yet. Yes change out the pair. SPMXCA502 Search for these. Link did not work.
Thanks, my charger takes the XT60 so I would have to get an adapter for the charger to make this work, that shouldn't be an issue right? It looks like IC5 is what the new Granite will be using anyhow so it would be nice to make everything the same.
Are you using a battery adapter from the lipo to the esc? If so that could also be the problem.
Thanks, there is no adapter the truck end is also XT60.

Correct. Think maybe the IC5 will plug into your charger. The IC5 and IC3 are a step above the XT60. The 60 use to be the standard. Things keep getting better.

Correct. Think maybe the IC5 will plug into your charger. The IC5 and IC3 are a step above the XT60. The 60 use to be the standard. Things keep getting better.
Would be great if the charger works with the IC5, I will take everything to the hobby store when the Granite comes in to make sure I get all the right parts. Think it's ok to keep running the Vorteks as is or should I wait until I have swapped connections?

Esc is the BLX100? You soldered on the xt60 to work with the battery? Just checking.

The bad connection could cause electronics to fail. Servo, ESC, Motor. Safer to change out the connections first.
He purchase used. Suspect previous owner changed connections to match his battery.

Esc is the BLX100? You soldered on the xt60 to work with the battery? Just checking.
I bought this Vorteks used so I imagine the previous owner did and it is the brushless version
The bad connection could cause electronics to fail. Servo, ESC, Motor. Safer to change out the connections first.
He purchase used. Suspect previous owner changed connections to match his battery.
Ok thanks, we'll stop using it for now than.

Got it. This is process of elimination. You can turn off the LVC. At least then you will know. After that go through the connections from ESC to motor and look for any damage. Unplug the motor wires to make sure they are snug. After that look to the battery connection, possibly bad servo, bad lipo cell in the pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back