Kraton Regearing to account for smaller tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdMan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I put a set of back flip LPs on my v5 6sblx, and it seems noticeably slower due to the smaller diameter tyres and because they don’t balloon as much as the Copperhead 2s. I believe the std pinion is 12 tooth. Will swapping to the 15 tooth high speed pinion fix it, or is that too high and might overheat. Should I look for a 13 or 14 tooth pinion. I mostly run 4s batteries. Thanks

I put a set of back flip LPs on my v5 6sblx, and it seems noticeably slower due to the smaller diameter tyres and because they don’t balloon as much as the Copperhead 2s. I believe the std pinion is 12 tooth. Will swapping to the 15 tooth high speed pinion fix it, or is that too high and might overheat. Should I look for a 13 or 14 tooth pinion. I mostly run 4s batteries. Thanks
I run the LPs on my XL kraton with 20ttooth I think you be ok with anywhere from 18 to 20 be fine 👊

Go up until you can't.. temp checks are a must.. I would suggest starting around a 16t, check temps and move up from there if you feel necessary.. but a 16 should get you close to the speed you had previously with the large tires..

Multiply your current final gear ratio by the tire circumference of your previous tires.
Then solve for the pinion size that will give you the same rollout with the smaller tires.

Edit: Just did the math for you. The result is 15.7, so a 16t pinion will be slightly faster than your previous setup.

Last edited:
If you had bigger tires before and it was fast.....going to smaller tires would mean it SHOULD be faster right? Less weight and size to move around?

Are we talkin street bashing or dirt?

If you had bigger tires before and it was fast.....going to smaller tires would mean it SHOULD be faster right? Less weight and size to move around?

Are we talkin street bashing or dirt?
Nope. Smaller tires have less circumference (rollout), so the truck will cover less ground for every rotation of the axle.

Nope. Smaller tires have less circumference (rollout), so the truck will cover less ground for every rotation of the axle.
Ok. So then yea a bigger pinion should be fine and not cause overheating just have to make sure to check temps :)

I did the same thing to my Kraton so I think I'll jump up to the 16t and see how it goes hehe

Try a 15t if you already have it. The math says that it will be a bit slower, but as Ruzty alluded to, there are other factors that could make up the difference (lighter tires, more torque). The math gives you a starting point that should be equivalent to your previous setup. Experiment from there.

I run the 15T pinion on my V5 Kraton with LP's. Any bigger and it runs way too hot. Granted that's in 90+ ambient in the AZ summer and when I had a dual 30mm motor fans instead of dual 40mm fans.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back