Limitless Remotely switch ON/OFF Hobbywing Xerun ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3rd channel operates just like the first 2, its a PWM signal that changes duty cycle based on position of some input device , like the throttle or steering. The 3rd channel on my Dumbo RC transmitter is a switch, either ON or OFF, but that doesn't mean the receiver output is ON or OFF, as mentioned its still a PWM signal, it just goes from 0 to 100% in a single push of the button. If you had an LED hooked directly to the channel you would see the LED ON but not bright when the channel was ON, and the LED would dim slightly when the channel was turned OFF. The RC switch I pointed to has a device on board that decodes the PWM signal and then opens or closes a switch accordingly, just put this switch in series with your load (LEDs) . Not a very good explanation, I'll look for a good You Tube video and post it
Ok sort of get it. I use the dumbo remote also so that's sort of why I figured an on/off switch on remote would turn recievers channels on/off.
One of the dumbo recievers I use for my crawler(which is my only rig with LEDs) has plugs specifically for LEDs so never needed one of those switches.

Wow @Jerold Thank you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. This is super helpful.
Will measure the existing switch voltages and on/off behavior and timing.will update again once I get it working.

As for those asking the reasons to do this, its been mentioned in earlier post.

Thanks everyone for chiming in

Last edited:
Just a quick update. Found this product which seems to be light, small package, wide range of DC input, and has customizable output type (momentary, toggle, etc)
I just have to keychain the extra small remote to my radio.

-Direct power from 4S lipo (means i can wire it like a cap pack)
-Relay output to close/open circuit the ESC power button without inducing any external voltage.
-433Mhz with good range

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Learning/dp/B098WGK35L?th=1
Universal Wireless Remote Control Switch

I think this will work well.
What do you think @Jerold ?

I'm not sure if the impulse is long enough to activate the ESC. If the ESC needs the on-signal for a second or two. If it works - just make sure you don't touch that button in your pants (like butt-calling with a phone) during the race.

I'm not sure if the impulse is long enough to activate the ESC. If the ESC needs the on-signal for a second or two. If it works - just make sure you don't touch that button in your pants (like butt-calling with a phone) during the race.
I think its programmable to switch ON the circuit as long as i keep pressing the button.

Butt calling issue..true..that would be disappointing to lose the race that way.. :LOL:
1685606769941.png

Worth a try - cost of failure is the cost of a keychain. It's hobby after all - tuning, fun and testing is part of it.

Might be a real game changer for that extra half second over the race. Juts need some open LED to actually see from far if it's on.

cost of a keychain. It's hobby after all - tuning, fun and testing is part of it.

Might be a real game changer for that extra half second over the race. Juts need some open LED to actually s
Thanks for the encouragement ! U said it..exploring and testing is the best part.

I think this solution could really work..not just for race but for bashers as well(without having to remove the shell to access the power button)

I think i will just turn the wheels to check if car is ON or OFF :sneaky:

Ok sort of get it. I use the dumbo remote also so that's sort of why I figured an on/off switch on remote would turn recievers channels on/off.
Yeah I thought the same first time I picked up a controller.... its an on/off function , "surely" they give me an on/off output on the receiver... and yes, I now remember the Dumbo receivers with it built in for stuff like LED control, or fan control, etc..... I've just bought the external switch from Amazon because they are so inexpensive and small.

^^^ You gave the OP the answer. Smart.....
Even a micro Servo activating the On/Off switch with a 3rd or Aux Rx channel can also work with a Mechanical type toggled ESC switch button.

Last edited:
I think its programmable to switch ON the circuit as long as i keep pressing the button.

Butt calling issue..true..that would be disappointing to lose the race that way.. :LOL:
View attachment 303269
This one.
Power from esc power leads/cappack wires.
2 output wires (close/open ) directly solder to tact switch on the esc power button circuit board. We cannot tap to the red/black/white wires.

16862726377258511555397436149042.jpg

16862726624884890694580410424523.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back