Remove Pinion on big can 2028 with 2 screwdrivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin080

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon TLR
Does it harm the motor when u leverage with 2 big screwdrivers the pinion from the motor? the loctite went thru the screws so it came glued.
Anyone destroyed motor thru this?
I am now scared lol

I have done this every time like that and had no issues yet but i am scared to my new motor

Does it harm the motor when u leverage with 2 big screwdrivers the pinion from the motor? the loctite went thru the screws so it came glued.
I am now scared lol

I have done this every time like that and had no issues yet but i am scared to my new motor
Did you try heating the grub screw w/ a torch or your soldering iron 1st? I would recommend trying that before you start prying on that pinion. The 1 time I had to remove a pinion like that due to a broken wrench tip in the grub screw it actually bend the motor shaft & ruined the motor

Did you try heating the grub screw w/ a torch or your soldering iron 1st? I would recommend trying that before you start prying on that pinion. The 1 time I had to remove a pinion like that due to a broken wrench tip in the grub screw it actually bend the motor shaft & ruined the motor
yes ofc. its a 8mm shaft. i don't think this will be an issue.. ;) maybe i am just overthinking.
i am no beginner...just overthinking sometimes :D i always use heat when applied screws with loctite. the set screw wasnt the problem, as i said the loctite glued the pinion on the shaft :D

Last edited:
I am now scared lol

I've used tools to pry pinions off before and the only thing I've damaged is motor mount plates lol. I've heard of someone snapping a shaft doing it, but he was the only person I saw who had such an experience.

I've used tools to pry pinions off before and the only thing I've damaged is motor mount plates lol. I've heard of someone snapping a shaft doing it, but he was the only person I saw who had such an experience.
good to hear buddy.
man, he must have raw hands haha
must be a 3,17mm btw 5mm shaft ?
i don't think that someone can break a 8mm shaft haha

good to hear buddy.
man, he must have raw hands haha
must be a 3,17mm btw 5mm shaft ?
i don't think that someone can break a 8mm shaft haha
Yea and when I started in the hobby I was getting 5mm shaft motors but now it's all 8mm whenever I buy a new motor. The bigger pinions seem to stay on a lot better too! :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone, for the next time now a pinion puller which works for the 2028 motor ?
I only got one for the 1/8 motors, can't find others :S

Heat pinion outside motor shaft, custom pry bar, with pinion in vice.

Otherwise a mini two jaw bearing puller works.

E76F182F-5599-42DE-8198-3CE8BD237723.jpeg

Does anyone, for the next time now a pinion puller which works for the 2028 motor ?
I only got one for the 1/8 motors, can't find others :S
I searched hard and never found anything decent, not even for 1/8. Which one do you use? has it been working well for you? I've had to pry off so many pinions in my time. I'm terrified every time I do it but it must be done :eek: :ROFLMAO:

I searched hard and never found anything decent, not even for 1/8. Which one do you use? has it been working well for you? I've had to pry off so many pinions in my time. I'm terrified every time I do it but it must be done :eek: :ROFLMAO:
I feel you brotha, the motorplate didnt like it at all 💀

Last edited:
Got this off ali express after seeing a guy at the track looking for help...although I've never used it, has two size pin inserts for the shaft to motor, I'll find it and take some measurements

20220720_173706.jpg

Ouhps! I didn't remember it being so small! Here's a pic with a 20 tooth mod 1 gear, maybe 21-22 fit?
Its 39 mm overall with three possible pins, biggest 4 mm

20230918_103330.jpg

Mine is a mod1 saga 35t (with 2 set screws). Tip of the screw driver broke off in the set screw where it goes against a flat spot of the motor shaft

I've used needle nose pliers to pry pinions off A LOT. Even the castle 2028 a week ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back