Removing 1/10 tires off a rim - How

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I know this is an age-old question and I have watched enough videos to just be overloaded still not to know a good method....

I have plastic 1/10 on-road tires I want to swap tires/replace. Nice looks rims so I want to reuse the rims but not melt or destroy them in the process. I have run across so far:

• boiling water -- how hot is hot to not melt the rims
  • heat gun -- this one scares me others have melted rims
  • acetone -- not sure it this will remove the color or melt the rim
  • super glue debonder -- CA makes one but there is a warning to be careful with some plastics
Reaching out to the fam to see if any of you had some tips or success with smaller on-road plastic tires or tires in general?

Thx

I know this is an age-old question and I have watched enough videos to just be overloaded still not to know a good method....

I have plastic 1/10 on-road tires I want to swap tires/replace. Nice looks rims so I want to reuse the rims but not melt or destroy them in the process. I have run across so far:

• boiling water -- how hot is hot to not melt the rims
  • heat gun -- this one scares me others have melted rims
  • acetone -- not sure it this will remove the color or melt the rim
  • super glue debonder -- CA makes one but there is a warning to be careful with some plastics
Reaching out to the fam to see if any of you had some tips or success with smaller on-road plastic tires or tires in general?

Thx
Water only boils at one temperature bro. Acetone works great just let the vapors do the job and don’t sit it in liquid. Place the rims and the liquid in a sealed container, but without the rims touching the liquid so the vapors can build. Never tried debonder. Heat gun is easy but if you’ve never used one for removing a pin stripe on your car or something, I wouldn’t use it

Water only boils at one temperature bro. Acetone works great just let the vapors do the job and don’t sit it in liquid. Place the rims and the liquid in a sealed container, but without the rims touching the liquid so the vapors can build. Never tried debonder. Heat gun is easy but if you’ve never used one for removing a pin stripe on your car or something, I wouldn’t use it

Thx for tips....I should have been clearer on boiling water....meaning hot to a certain range, to boiling point, or boiling point and let cool xx time before attempt. Those are good tips....thx

I tried these:
  • boiling water -- water boils at 212F which won't ruin the rims regardless how long, but you end up with tires full of scalding water and it's hard to unmount them without getting burned
  • acetone -- tried using the fumes in a sealed bucket, worked, but took days. Tried submerging the side of the tire in acetone to soak. Worked way faster, but the glue was disolved into the acetone and soaked up into the foams. When the foams dried, they were hard as rocks and had to be replaced.
  • super glue debonder -- sort of works, but it's tedious and time consuming as you have to repeatedly apply it, it evaporates.

I found that baking worked the best. I want to say 240F for 20 minutes or so, then lay the tire flat while warm and gently press down on the rubber. The glue tends to crystalize and let go all at once as you press. Requires a bit of sanding with a dremel to remove some of the glue from the tires. Make sure to put the tires on a cookie sheet with tin foil and do not allow any part of the tire to overhang the cookie sheet or they will get ruined.

I removed 20 or so tires in a day like that. The house stunk of rubber for a day or so... wife was not pleased. lol!
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

I can't remember the exact temp I used, but I did have to bake some of them a couple times to get the glue to let go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back