Removing motor fins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I removed the motor fins on my rocket 4092 motor so that the heatsink in the picture can have maximum surface area around the motor. I use a bench sander and just grind them away until the surface is smooth. I highly recommend it!

heatsink.jpg

Thermal paste or thermal tape if there is enough gap.

I even kinda wonder if using strips of thermal tape HELPS since it will provide a way for air to get between the strips and across the motor and out.

Weakens the can huh?? Well i wont be putting it into a vice soon hahaha. theres lots of smooth can motors out there.

Too much work and it weakens the can. I just use thermal paste to get things done! ;)
Thermal paste will dry and become a blanket when it’s filled with dirt. Use a thermal pad instead.

I used the thermal padding and it has a hard time completely filling the gaps in the corners of the motorcan and where a fin starts. So I just do my best to smoothen out the can.

Weakens the can huh?? Well i wont be putting it into a vice soon hahaha. theres lots of smooth can motors out there.
Yes but they were milled that way from the get go. Ridged cans aren't that much thicker to begin with...
Thermal paste will dry and become a blanket when it’s filled with dirt. Use a thermal pad instead.
I put paste on all my heatsync's and while it does harden I don't have a "blanket" of anything. I apply the paste only to the heatsync where it'll be making contact then slide it on. If there is any run over I'm not worried. Fortunately once it hardens it doesn't pick up any dirt ;)

EDIT: I use thermal adhesive, not just thermal paste like what we put on our cpu's...

Last edited:
Thermal paste is to fill in small gaps and imperfections in the cpu and cooler, adding that much actually traps the heat instead of transferring it just as a heads up.

Thermal paste is to fill in small gaps and imperfections in the cpu and cooler, adding that much actually traps the heat instead of transferring it just as a heads up.
Oh, I see where your confused... I do NOT ever never fill the gaps between the fins on the motor...EVER, the thermal paste makes a good contact with the top of said fins but I do not put enough paste/adhesive on for it to squish into the valleys on the motor's can. Thermal paste loses efficiency the thicker it is so it is pointless to fill gaps with it. Still makes a huge difference to the temps using a pad or paste versus bare ;)

Oh, I see where your confused... I do NOT ever never fill the gaps between the fins on the motor...EVER, the thermal paste makes a good contact with the top of said fins but I do not put enough paste/adhesive on for it to squish into the valleys on the motor's can. Thermal paste loses efficiency the thicker it is so it is pointless to fill gaps with it. Still makes a huge difference to the temps using a pad or paste versus bare ;)
I was just tossing that little tidbit out there as I've seen guys do it like that on Facebook quite a lot.

Not something I would consider doing i.e. grinding. there is no way that you get a 'perfect' seal and you weaken the can. No idea how important it is to the structure though, tbh. Interesting approach though.
Thermal pad would still be required and I have good success with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JDW2RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The heat sink would only need to make contact with the fins, not the can.
Complete alternate approach, just blow air on the can, heatsink is really only good as a mounting surface. That's the main reason I use those i.e. lack of a good external mounting solution.

I was just tossing that little tidbit out there as I've seen guys do it like that on Facebook quite a lot.
That's nuts,they aren't spreading it out across the surface thin and as even as possible I'd assume. I'm not as careful with solid cans but on the finned cans I try not to fill valleys. That said, if you use an adhesive thermal paste they hardens I dirt doesn't stick and it shouldn't run after the fact...does make it way harder to get off though ;)

I ground the fins off on my HPI 2200 Tork 4074 motor so it would fit in my stampede. It was too big around otherwise. Been fine so far. It had those weird pokey fins around the middle part.
100685_100685_005pp_800_600.jpg

I didn't cut them all off, just about 1/3 of them on the bottom.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back