Removing or Sanding/Dremel down motor fins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Is it possible to remove the fins on a hobbywing or similar motor that comes with fins? IF not, what would you use on a Dremel to grind them down? the goal here is to make a motor fit into a car but it is just a mm or two too tight.

It can be done, but those fins as you say are maybe 2mm if that. How much clearance do you need to fit. I would try shimming up the motors mount if that is even possible with your application. Dremel or rat file by hand will work.

I have a Redcat XB-e as my new project. I have a Poseidon 1500kv p 1527 motor in there now, but it may not be a big enough can. the 4985 hobbywing is my back up. But that may need washers underneath the motor mount, like you said and/or removal of the motor fins.

Do I use sandpaper or do I use the aluminum cutting tool with the Dremel?

Is it possible to remove the fins on a hobbywing or similar motor that comes with fins? IF not, what would you use on a Dremel to grind them down? the goal here is to make a motor fit into a car but it is just a mm or two too tight.
Best option would be a lathe, but not everyone has one of those just laying around. I hate finned motors as the fins are more for looks than anything else because they are too short to really make much of a difference.

I could find washers the put underneath the motor mount and through the screws to elevate the mount yes?

I might be wrong but when coping with that amount of torque I'd be worried mere washers being used as spacers would allow a little too much flex in the motor mount.. which would cause all sorts of pinion issues. Think I'd shim it with an alloy plate of the required thickness instead... but thats just me.

For removing fins, If no lathe... I'd dremel down a bit then finish with a fine toothed file.

So you mean a plate that is one piece with the required holes drilled through it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back