Removing shocks caps?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yz125ryder

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys. long time lurker, but i just signed up. Anyways, today I went out and bought some 60wt shock oil for my Kraton. But it turns out, i cant get the shock caps off!? It almost feels like they are glued on! its the Kraton v2 if that makes any difference. Does anybody has a solution to removing them?! (without damaging the crap out of them)

I have tried putting a screw driver through the hole, pliers... and even giving myself blisters from squeezing so hard!

Thanks!

Adam

Hey guys. long time lurker, but i just signed up. Anyways, today I went out and bought some 60wt shock oil for my Kraton. But it turns out, i cant get the shock caps off!? It almost feels like they are glued on! its the Kraton v2 if that makes any difference. Does anybody has a solution to removing them?! (without damaging the crap out of them)

I have tried putting a screw driver through the hole, pliers... and even giving myself blisters from squeezing so hard!

Thanks!

Adam

hmmmmm....get a lighter...preferably a wind proof lighter and apply some heat ..they may be using thread lock on the caps..start there and report back. ...

Thanks!

Adam
I just put in 70/60, while replacing snapped rear shaft. I struggled a bit too, but found success with 2 crescent wrenches, medium size near top of shock body, little one fitted across shock cap flat surface/top shock eye. No damage, did the trick, not sure why they were so friggin tight....Lol.

Hey guys. I did what you said Rich, and it worked out. They were on un-real tight though! That 60 wt you recommended made my Kratons suspension perfect!

hmmmmm....get a lighter...preferably a wind proof lighter and apply some heat ..they may be using thread lock on the caps..start there and report back. ...
I tried heat as well, but it didnt work because metals usually expand under heat, making it more snug!

Hey guys. I did what you said Rich, and it worked out. They were on un-real tight though! That 60 wt you recommended made my Kratons suspension perfect!

I tried heat as well, but it didnt work because metals usually expand under heat, making it more snug!

yep heat expands metal...but if hot enough...melts the loctite. ..so...don't dismiss the application of heat...it's just an option...that may work on occasion. ..

yep heat expands metal...but if hot enough...melts the loctite. ..so...don't dismiss the application of heat...it's just an option...that may work on occasion. ..
for sure! thankfully, there was no loc-tite on the shock caps.

I don't think they used lock tite,just your normal ridiculous over tite arrma quality control.I put thin piece of cloth over shocks and used adjustable grips and pliers..still ended up marking my shocks lol

I don't think they used lock tite,just your normal ridiculous over tite arrma quality control.I put thin piece of cloth over shocks and used adjustable grips and pliers..still ended up marking my shocks lol
The guy at my LHS ended up scratching up my shock cap on my Kraton. So when I did my Outcast I took it into my own hands and got an adjustable wrench on the shock, then I slid a screw driver through the cap and it twisted off with out damaging it :)

The guy at my LHS ended up scratching up my shock cap on my Kraton. So when I did my Outcast I took it into my own hands and got an adjustable wrench on the shock, then I slid a screw driver through the cap and it twisted off with out damaging it :)

Did the same...wrench on the hexagonal piece, and screwdriver through the hole at the top.
Came apart rather easy using this method!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back