Kraton Removing the Safe-D pinion?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to remove the pinion off my new Kraton. I've removed the grub screw and e-clip, but the pinion won't budge. I've held a lighter underneath it for continuously for 2 minutes and still nothing.

Any ideas?

I use a small butane torch…..works every time.

Lighter isn't powerful enough . Any of the above methods will work. Clean the grub screw and pinion and only use blue loctite when you reassemble.

Would a soldering iron really be hotter than holding the blue part of a naked flame on the gear continuously for 2 minutes?

I had an issue with my pinion where the grub came loose and allowed the pinion to rotate enough to get stuck on the flat part of the motor shaft. I had to clamp the shaft and try to get in unstuck before I could pull it off.

Mine literally won't budge no matter what I do. Willl end up breaking the motor at this rate. How can Arrma sell these models with the pinion suck on to the shaft with red loctite?!

It's more about the thermal mass, the little flame has to heat up the motor mount as the motor acts like a major heat sink, and you might never get to the desired temp. By all means, use a bigger screwdriver and wedge it out. Not much you can break but don't hold me to it 🤪
A capable iron will do it, I always use a small torch. About 20-30s and it's a non-issue.

Sorry I don't understand, I'm not aiming the flame at the motor or motor mount - just on the pinion and by extension, the motor shaft.

Where would I place the soldering iron?

Tactic I always did. Don’t over complicate things.

remove pinion grub completely.

take truck for a run

eventually the pinion let’s go.

Tactic I always did. Don’t over complicate things.

remove pinion grub completely.

take truck for a run

eventually the pinion let’s go.
Risky move... Could end up with a car in a river...

Next time you need to solder something, try using the lighter. ;)
That's a fair point, although I've never tried. Just thought solder had a low melting point. Where exactly should I hold the iron, just anywhere on the pinion gear? Thanks

i can understand that concern. Personally I just respect the fact that I took the pinion screw out and it can come loose whenever it wants. That said usually I take it into a court or large park parking lot and do a couple pulls from a dig.
Risky move... Could end up with a car in a river...

Where would I place the soldering iron?
Hold the tip of the iron on the pinion closest to where the loctite most likely is for a couple of minutes.

If the pinion still resists, I would hold the base of the pinion in a vise or plyers and give the tip of the motor shaft a light rap with a plastic/brass/wood hammer. Just make sure that you have something soft to catch the motor if it ejects itself from the pinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back