Replacement Brushed Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, new Senton 550 Mega owner here. I recently purchased this truck for my son, on the third run the brushed motor burned out. We'd been running 50C 5200mah 2S lipo packs. I've been doing some research and I see that the Arrma 550 motors are notorious for burning out. I have another older SCT (ECX Torment) with a Dynamite motor that's taken one hell of a beating and just keeps going. I would like help/input from you guys on deciding between the Titan 12T 550 & the Dyanamite 12T 550. I COMPLETELY understand the advantages of going brushless, but he's only 6. I don't think the speed & costs involved with a brushless setup would really be ideal for a 6 year old. We'll make the transition later on down the line. But for now, which brushed motor and pinion gear would you guys recommend to get a little more speed and reliability?? If there is an extremely budget friendly brushless setup that I could get from Amazon, then I would MAYBE consider it, but the goal is to keep costs to a minimum...I'd prefer to just stick with brushed for him for now. Thanks in advance.

You're probably gonna get a ton of "you just need to do brushless, you can run it at limited throttle, blah blah blah." So, to answer your question directly, if it's just between those two I'd choose the Titan. However, I would recommend you look at this. This motor is rebuildable, so you can replace brushes and springs when they wear out, as well as bearings. Those are the components that most often fail on a brushless motor, and the sealed can designs like the Arrma or the ones you're looking at are trash once those components are worn. On the rebuildable motors like this one, you can fix them for a few bucks once they fail, you can take them apart and clean/lubricate them when they get dirty or run through water, etc. Plus, Surpass is a great and underrated brand.

https://www.amazon.com/SURPASS-HOBB...=brushed+550+motor&qid=1652746146&sr=8-8&th=1

You're probably gonna get a ton of "you just need to do brushless, you can run it at limited throttle, blah blah blah." So, to answer your question directly, if it's just between those two I'd choose the Titan. However, I would recommend you look at this. This motor is rebuildable, so you can replace brushes and springs when they wear out, as well as bearings. Those are the components that most often fail on a brushless motor, and the sealed can designs like the Arrma or the ones you're looking at are trash once those components are worn. On the rebuildable motors like this one, you can fix them for a few bucks once they fail, you can take them apart and clean/lubricate them when they get dirty or run through water, etc. Plus, Surpass is a great and underrated brand.

https://www.amazon.com/SURPASS-HOBBY-Brushed-Off-Road-Climbing/dp/B0982VQ9Q3/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=brushed+550+motor&qid=1652746146&sr=8-8&th=1
Thanks for answering the question at hand. I'm already anticipating the flood of "just go brushless comments", which is the total opposite of what I want to do with this truck lol. But I'll definitely look into that motor that you recommended, never heard of them, but I'll give anything a try at least once. As a safety net, I know I can always fall back on the Titan. Thanks again!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back