Granite Replacement Granite Shocks Need Help from the Vets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Need the Vet/Pro help....

Have a Granite 3S BLX. My goal was for all Typhon 6S shocks but was not able to 100% complete that. So here is what I have that arrived:

• Granite Front - Typhon 6S front shocks full assembly
  • Granite Rear - Outcast 6S BLX front shocks full assembly
  • Axial shock bushings

Concern/Issue:
The springs seem very stiff compared to the Granite OEM setup especially the Outcast assembly...springs look thicker. It takes a lot more effort to compress them over the OEM. For my level of bashing if you want to call it that, I am happy with the OEM spring tension and the 42.5w oil I used in the shocks. I don't know the OEM oil requirement I could not find it so been using 42.5w has been fine...

Question:
What springs and/or oil weight I can replace the above to come "close" to the level of suspension rebound as the OEM but with the replacement assembly above?

I don't know what I need to get close...springs have ratings like xx gf/mm, medium, etc and maybe I need a lighter oil other than the 42.5w. Looking to the vets who have been down this road for advice or links on how to accomplish this? I would like to not change out the piston shaft rod, etc. if possible, not a basher just a weekend fun RC guy so trying to get close. It doesn't have to be at pro level I only want to spend on what I need too :).

You can use Talion shocks because they are only a few mm different than the Typhon shocks but you will need to swap the springs for Typhon springs and change the fluid. The Talion shocks are really stiff.

Thx...

That is the newbie help I am looking for.... :cool:

What springs, tension, etc?
Which weight oil?

to accomplish that...

Thx...

That is the newbie help I am looking for.... :cool:

What springs, tension, etc?
Which weight oil?

to accomplish that...
The outcast front shock springs are about 3lbs heavier than the Typhon 6s rear springs. Here's the shock spring thread that has a chart that's handy to reference:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/

For the outcast fronts you have as rears if you set the preload as low as you can go and use 60-70wt oil it should work decently. I ran that setup for a while before switching the to the 4s springs.

Sometimes the Arrma 6s shocks are hard to come by if you can those work great.

If not check these out... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Currently running them with 40wt shock oil all around and they're great especially for the price. Only minor issue, the top eyelets are a little bigger than stock but you can easily fix that with a rubber band around the screw or whatever else you can think of.

If not check these out... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-ALUMINUM-Shock-For-Arrma-1-10-Granite-4x4-3S/283836824767?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Currently running them with 40wt shock oil all around and they're great especially for the price. Only minor issue, the top eyelets are a little bigger than stock but you can easily fix that with a rubber band around the screw or whatever else you can think of.

They look good with that polished look...thx

Last edited:
They look good with that polished look...thx

Yeah they're super solid shocks for the money...Been using that at the local skatepark with no issues. I haven't gone super crazy though, biggest jumps I've hit so far are about 10-12ft in the air. Regardless they beat the stock shocks by a mile, no leaking oil, better dampening, and threaded bodies.

If not check these out... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-ALUMINUM-Shock-For-Arrma-1-10-Granite-4x4-3S/283836824767?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thx for the help and tips...hate to leave a thread hanging for others who search for solutions.

Until I get all I need for the Typhon 6S shocks due to no stock anywhere for now, I did get the Big Bore from eBay and I agree they work well. Nice look similar to the OEM not nice and fatty like the Typhons but they still look good. Perform they are spot on. Using 60wt oil but it would be fine with between 40-50wt. I am just a little lowered and shocks further out on RPM arms so I added a bit more since I am at an angle.

I did make a change. I like the spring tension from the OEM Granite BLX shocks so I swapped the springs. I also fitted the spring collar or cups the springs rest on from the Granite shock to the Big Bore. I had extras so added one for the top and bottom. Snug fit but fits well.

IMG_20200630_210048.jpg

IMG_20200630_210134.jpg

IMG_20200630_210345.jpg

I think I might be missing something major here. I am a re-born newb after 25 years since I last drove my Grasshopper. I picked up a red set of the Big Bore shocks from Ebay. The problem I'm having is the length. Stock length for my Granite shocks is 102mm in the front and 115mm in the rear. The Big Bore came to me at 89mm and 102mm. I have installed the 102mm shocks in the front: great match. However, it leaves me with no rear. Should I be using the 89mm shocks in the front and the 102mm in the rear. These seem way too short. Am I missing something, please?

I think I might be missing something major here. I am a re-born newb after 25 years since I last drove my Grasshopper. I picked up a red set of the Big Bore shocks from Ebay. The problem I'm having is the length. Stock length for my Granite shocks is 102mm in the front and 115mm in the rear. The Big Bore came to me at 89mm and 102mm. I have installed the 102mm shocks in the front: great match. However, it leaves me with no rear. Should I be using the 89mm shocks in the front and the 102mm in the rear. These seem way too short. Am I missing something, please?
You definitely want the shorter set in the front! I'd get a set that measures closer to stock height, the ones you bought are going to make your Granite sit low! ?‍♂️

I’m running Typhon shocks on my Granite and BR! Here are some measurements!
5DEA7F00-2F56-4CB3-9C00-656119919C2A.jpeg
8014302A-8D1D-43DA-9CF9-0A4E3870E64B.jpeg

Your difference is measurements is large....If anything I only have a few tiny mm difference compared to Big Bore and the stock Granite shocks....personally I liked the springs better on the Granite and put on the Big Bore was an even sway no issues in length... Verify with the seller that you have the right item.

Last edited:
Either you ordered shocks for the Traxxas Slash or the seller messed up and sent you the incorrect shocks.

"Big Bore eBay shocks -

• fronts are 102mm eye to eye.
  • rears are 114mm eye to eye."

If you want to try different springs on your 16mm shocks. This is from the spring chart thread that suchtragedy posted. I auditioned ALOT of springs. The springs that come closest to stock Granite spring rates are the Associated Yellow springs. Stock Granite spring rates are 5.7 in front, 4.8 in the rear. The Associated Yellows are 5.7 in front, 4.4 in rear. But the rears are slightly longer, which will increase initial tension slightly, so this pair is a very close match. I ended up going with much stiffer springs for jumping, but these performed very well in my Granite with 16mm shocks.

1589292942959.png

Last edited:
Hey, hope your good. What stiffer spring do you use for the jumping set up you mentioned please. I have the big bore shocks with the granite springs atm which works ok. I just want stiffer spring maybe slightly longer than the og granite springs. Thanks in advance. ?

All is well thx. I swapped the Granite springs in place of the Big Bore. However, I did have to make a top\bottom collar so spring will stay in place if you see the pic. So in my case, I have the same springs as the Granite BLX but on the Big Bore setup. Since it is hotter here in the south I used 60wt oil all around but I might go back to stock 40-42wt for the winter.

Nice one thank you. Looking forward the perfect balance for jumps and off-road. I will get slightly longer & stiffer springs for front and rear similar to the granite og. Haven’t barely tested the new set up. Lots of new parts to test and fail or pass. I guess that’s half the fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back