Kraton Replacement kraton shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are awesome.

I wound't completely rule out how stiff the springs are. It's a pretty beastly upgrade, but I'm a noob, so I'm wondering if this adventure of mine will turn into an expensive learning lesson. :)

Here's the problem with springs, they don't absorb energy, they simply compress and rebound with the same energy put in, like a basketball. The shock fluids job is to absorb kinetic energy by turning it into heat. If you want to absorb more energy, run thicker fluid or smaller piston holes. The springs primary purpose is to return the car to set ride height, and if matched to the shock fluid correctly, will rebound fast enough to keep the tire in contact with the ground, but not so fast that it kicks like a pogo stick.

More info for those interested... http://rctruckstop.com/2011/12/04/monster-truck-shock-tuning/

Great info, I'm going to measure my shocks tonight just to make darn sure I get the right lengths. Is the measurement center to center?

Yes, center to center I believe... If you pull the trigger on these, your going to need some Tekno standoffs for proper fit. I picked up a set of 4 w/nuts on eBay for $10.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you'd lose the second best thing about these shock, the super strong Tekno rod ends.

The Kraton ones seem strong also. Strong enough to snap the shaft off right at the edge and not budge. But true... if the Tekno looks stronger.... then drilling a lower hole is better. Plus the collar looks better on the Tekno. I really want to try the emulsion caps rather than the diaphragm caps. I also love Tekno parts.... this is a great post.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 135
I was searching for just titanium nitride shock shafts that would fit into the Kraton shocks after I busted mine. I got close to finding some but then got confused on the measurement. The Kratons are shy of 4mm. So I wasn't exactly sure what to look for.

I was searching for just titanium nitride shock shafts that would fit into the Kraton shocks after I busted mine. I got close to finding some but then got confused on the measurement. The Kratons are shy of 4mm. So I wasn't exactly sure what to look for.
They are 3.5mm

The Kraton ones seem strong also. Strong enough to snap the shaft off right at the edge and not budge. But true... if the Tekno looks stronger.... then drilling a lower hole is better. Plus the collar looks better on the Tekno. I really want to try the emulsion caps rather than the diaphragm caps. I also love Tekno parts.... this is a great post.

Lots of us are breaking those too.
FB_IMG_1487720674087.jpg

I thought that picture was the 122mm tekno and the 137 was supposed to fit?

They fit fine, the down travel lost is very minimal. You can see the extension in this photo is still great.
20160602_161402.jpg

Those are sweet replacements. However... if someone is getting some leaks, try this Associated green slime stuff on the o-ring. What it looks like are the stock Kraton shafts are getting very scratched. The Green slime might help or maybe it's better when installed when everything is brand new. It would be nice if maybe they were coated with titanium. The gold coating is what I'm talking about . It seems to scratch less. This may stop some leaks.

It looks pretty hard to find 3.5 x 63mm shock shafts for the Kraton with the gold coating. I searched for something that would work. I looked only for the front size. I came across slightly shorter but they also use E-clips to hold the pistons.

Looks like a nice set of Tekno's with the gold shafts are easier to find.

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Here's the problem with springs, they don't absorb energy, they simply compress and rebound with the same energy put in, like a basketball. The shock fluids job is to absorb kinetic energy by turning it into heat. If you want to absorb more energy, run thicker fluid or smaller piston holes. The springs primary purpose is to return the car to set ride height, and if matched to the shock fluid correctly, will rebound fast enough to keep the tire in contact with the ground, but not so fast that it kicks like a pogo stick.

More info for those interested... http://rctruckstop.com/2011/12/04/monster-truck-shock-tuning/

Yes, center to center I believe... If you pull the trigger on these, your going to need some Tekno standoffs for proper fit. I picked to a set of 4 w/nuts on eBay for $10.

Great read, learned a lot, thanks for sharing!

I am going to have to wait until I break them to buy new shocks. $120 plus $12 on pistons, to fix something that isn't broken? I'm in, but I'm gonna wait.

I was told the Tekno where discontinued then all sites are out so I think they are.

I found 2 complete kits on eBay with the pistons for under 100 total. Both of them said last one.
I might not have needed the rear but with the front I pretty much bend the arrma ones every time I run it. I've tried both new shafts and bending the bent ones straight.

The good thing about expensive racing shocks are the coatings on the shock body and the shafts. Keep us posted on how they hold up.

I broke my front shock in my Kraton on a bad landing. I just purchased 2 new complete shocks for $25 and a set of shafts to rebuild the one shock. So I'll have 2 spare complete shocks in the field box. I also Dropped the fluid weight down to 60.

Down the road I'll get some nice Tekno's and have the stock ones as backup.

Last edited:
Buy
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody knew of some good replacement shocks for the kraton. There's nothing wrong with the stock ones, but mine keep leaking. Can't seem to find any online, if anybody knows of some that will fit the kraton and be long enough please help out. Thanks
Get New o rings, put shock shafts thru the o rings before you tighten the bottom. Hope that makes sense. My stock work awesome and never leak.

Yes I did. I am really more interested in building them, than I am in needing them on the car. But once I spend the time to build them, my guess is that I will want them on the car.

Yes I did. I am really more interested in building them, than I am in needing them on the car. But once I spend the time to build them, my guess is that I will want them on the car.

They were fun to build. I'm looking forward to building the full Tekno ET48 truggy. The Kraton will be for sale shortly.

They were fun to build. I'm looking forward to building the full Tekno ET48 truggy. The Kraton will be for sale shortly.

I thought about doing the same but I held off on that idea for now. Do you want to race it or bash it ? I know it does have optional steel spur and the center diff split mounts are available in 7075 aluminum !!! rather than the regular 6061.

Last edited:
Back