Kraton Replacing differential, why aluminum case?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceM

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So my front diff went out, i figure i will shim all 3 when it arrives

Seems on this forum people upgrade the gearbox case and carrier case, why would that be done does it help with bashing?

I have the orig kraton and im pretty aggressive with no issues so far cases breaking

So my front diff went out, i figure i will shim all 3 when it arrives

Seems on this forum people upgrade the gearbox case and carrier case, why would that be done does it help with bashing?

I have the orig kraton and im pretty aggressive with no issues so far cases breaking

Aluminum is harder than plastic so yes it is good for bashing. The aluminum diff cups can be good for speed runs as the diffs can get quite hot and aluminum holds up better to heat than plastic does.

If you haven't had any issues with the stock ones leave them alone, if or when they break then upgrade to the aluminum.

In general, molded plastic is not as precise as CNC metal. I've found that Arrma's plastic drivetrain parts have larger tolerances than I would prefer but with careful shimming stuff should last. I do like that they beefed up the gearbox cases.

Last edited:
I used the aluminum diff holder in the center, but am still stock on the front and back. And have not had an issue with either. At some point the plastic ones will heat up, and become softer and more apt to be damaged. I do not think the aluminum diff holders are a necessary upgrade, but it just helps to bullet proof things. NOw the aluminum bulk heads are a different story......and I am not sure where I stand on those, yet.

I had to buy hot racing diff case for my centre diff due to it bending at the bottom,probably due to 6's and my tppower motor,I've had no issues with front or back diff..can anyone tell me if your meant to use blue lock tite on these aluminum diffs case when screwing it together

Last edited:
Differentials in general heat up under heavy use/load and plastic gets soft as it heats up warping over time.

I had to buy hot racing diff case for my centre diff due to it bending at the bottom,probably due to 6's and my tppower motor,I've had no issues with front or back diff..can anyone tell me if your meant to use blue lock tite on these aluminum diffs case when screwing it together

I do, but just a touch. I had 2 screws back out on me, and make a nice gouge in the Diff mount. Or maybe it's the motor mount......which ever one faces the 4 screws on the side of the SPUR gear.

All screws that secure by biting into metal should have blue loctite and in some cases red imho. Plastic should be good to go without it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back