Granite Replacing Shock cap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Following some damage to my shock I am about to order a replacement part and attempt to disassemble the shock to replace the broken part. It looks like this part will unscrew looking at videos on youtube.

I will be attempting to just unscrew this part and replace it with the new "cap" however, will I loose oil in this process? will I need to top up the existing oil when I do this? If I do need to top up the existing, what oil to I need as a top up to the existing?

Many Thanks everyone.

20200525_132648_resized_1.jpg

It sounds like you may have found the same video I used to rebuild my leaky shock. If not, here is a link, I found it super helpful:

If you are able to remove and replace the part without spilling any oil, you may be good to not top it off. From what I've seen, you don't really want any air in the shocks and the stock shocks tend to leak sometimes anyway. If you want to have oil on hand to fill them and want to stick with stock, the Voltage uses 350 cSt and the Mega/BLX use 500 cSt. There is a super handy comparison page on the Arrma site that has a lot of info. That's where I got the oil weights from. I have copied a link to it below for you as well, in case it's useful in the future.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/vehicle-comparison/ARA102727T2/ARA102720T2

Following some damage to my shock I am about to order a replacement part and attempt to disassemble the shock to replace the broken part. It looks like this part will unscrew looking at videos on youtube.

I will be attempting to just unscrew this part and replace it with the new "cap" however, will I loose oil in this process? will I need to top up the existing oil when I do this? If I do need to top up the existing, what oil to I need as a top up to the existing?

Many Thanks everyone.

View attachment 86217
If you plan on buying these they don't come with pivot balls
1592571253919.png

If you want less hassle I would spend the $20 and get these or new set from Ebay or Jenny's (Jenny's has a set of 4 for $28.50 on the BigRock page, same shocks as the Granite
1592571430663.png

Thank you for all the useful information, now for the silly question... what are the "pivot balls"? and will I need them for the repair? I was looking to get exactly the part you suspected (top picture) The choice of parts is a little limited in the UK unfortunately.

Thank you for all the useful information, now for the silly question... what are the "pivot balls"? and will I need them for the repair? I was looking to get exactly the part you suspected (top picture) The choice of parts is a little limited in the UK unfortunately.
look at ends of both pictures
1592573587604.png

Ah, I see..... Thank you for pointing that out, that would have been a real problem for me when they arrived... Thank you for the spot!

Ah, this has just got a little more interesting (or troublesome)..... Several sources I have been looking at for the shock oil suggest that the Granite 3S BLX uses 30W oil (including the excellent posting by @WoodiE on this forum, Oil Comparison assuiming I linked it correctly) in the shocks, however, the excellent link that @mvkbsbl06 supplied above on the Arrma site has it listed as 500 cSt, which is 40W.

So now I am confused, should I be buying 30W or 40W for topping up?

As always, thanks for the help.

Ah, this has just got a little more interesting (or troublesome)..... Several sources I have been looking at for the shock oil suggest that the Granite 3S BLX uses 30W oil (including the excellent posting by @WoodiE on this forum, Oil Comparison assuiming I linked it correctly) in the shocks, however, the excellent link that @mvkbsbl06 supplied above on the Arrma site has it listed as 500 cSt, which is 40W.

So now I am confused, should I be buying 30W or 40W for topping up?

As always, thanks for the help.

Good question and wait for more feedback.

I have the Granite BLX but I don't jump it...., meaning not going off 10-20ft ramps/jumps... I get a little air off hills in the yard, maybe construction site, stuff like that. For me I use 42.5w could not find the 40w at the time when I did my first change. 30w works fine also. Some vary for the f/b and weather makes a difference but I live in the south, HOT/Humid so I could go bit heavier due to the heat here, like 50w.

I am looking for the shocks to respond over the grassy, hilly, gravel, etc roads quickly I'm on 90% time so 40w or 42.5 works great for me. If I were jumping, I would increase it to so the shocks could absorb more on the landing. Not my cup of tea with the Granite.

So it's your style we are all different I know others will have their own flavor :)

I guess the other question should be, what happens if I get the wrong one and top up using it? Is it ok to mix? How much difference is there between 30w and 40w? I would really like to keep it stock though...

I guess the other question should be, what happens if I get the wrong one and top up using it? Is it ok to mix? How much difference is there between 30w and 40w? I would really like to keep it stock though...

Weight doesn't actually mean anything for viscosity. CST is the only real unit of measurement, wt. is just a shorthand that companies use, but is not a real unit of measurement.

For example, Associated oil 40wt is 500cst as you probably saw. Losi 40wt oil is 516cst.

https://losiracing.blogspot.com/2019/04/shock-oil-cst.html

If you like the way your truck drove before, just get 500cst oil (or something close to it).

Going back to this thread, I think all my parts are here :) I hadn't thought of the Pivot balls but after the suggestion ordered them to and have a bag a various different ones..... Is there anything I need to know about fitting them, or the right orientation etc. or is it just the case of finding the one in the bag that fits the best and "pushing" it in the hole ? - is it as simple as that ?

Thanks all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back