Replacing suspension link rod ends and pivot balls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
The suspension and direction on my son's Granite is super sloppy and most pivot balls are so worn out that they are not even captured in the ling rod ends anymore.

I will order the composite pivot ball set (AR330515). Is that enough or should I order the rod end set as well (AR330470)?

Is it recommended to change these together? I am guessing they will be equally worn out if they are made from the same material. Are they?

Thanks!

If you want to do your best to get them tight and snug, I always recommend changing both out together. Sometimes I will slip an appropriate amount of layers of Teflon Plumbing tape within the rod end before popping in the balls. I usually do this when new balls and ends together are still too sloppy for my taste. Food for thought if you come across this. Good luck :cool:
BTW, the composite plastic balls are different plastic than the ends. If you can find metal balls, I find them to be better.

Edit: the ends usually stretch out from impacts, before the balls wear. But it is a combination of the two that results in slop.

Last edited:
If you want to do your best to get them tight and snug, I always recommend changing both out together. Sometimes I will slip an appropriate amount of layers of Teflon Plumbing tape within the rod end before popping in the balls. I usually do this when new balls and ends together are still too sloppy for my taste. Food for thought if you come across this. Good luck :cool:
BTW, the composite plastic balls are different plastic than the ends. If you can find metal balls, I find them to be better.

Edit: the ends usually stretch out from impacts, before the balls wear. But it is a combination of the two that results in slop.

Very good info! Thank you very much! :)

The suspension and direction on my son's Granite is super sloppy and most pivot balls are so worn out that they are not even captured in the ling rod ends anymore.

I will order the composite pivot ball set (AR330515). Is that enough or should I order the rod end set as well (AR330470)?

Is it recommended to change these together? I am guessing they will be equally worn out if they are made from the same material. Are they?

Thanks!
If your in the U.S. you can get a complete set rods with balls from Jennys for $14.29 + shipping

If your in the U.S. you can get a complete set rods with balls from Jennys for $14.29 + shipping

Thanks! I am in Canada.

I feel quite dumb right now. I made a significant order from Jenny's last week. Having known I needed these, I would have added them to my order for sure.

The Granite is my son's car. I only replaced parts as they broke, but did not pay attention that much to the wear of these parts. I realized how bad it was when I replaced an A-arm yesterday evening. :eek:

Winter is upon us now and I have several months of wrenching/cleaning/upgrading ahead of me. It should be fun! I should probably start a build thread for the Granite as well. It started out as a Mega, but is now a "Sleeper" with 3S guts under the Mega body and has a couple of other things coming.

Thanks! I am in Canada.

I feel quite dumb right now. I made a significant order from Jenny's last week. Having known I needed these, I would have added them to my order for sure.

The Granite is my son's car. I only replaced parts as they broke, but did not pay attention that much to the wear of these parts. I realized how bad it was when I replaced an A-arm yesterday evening. :eek:

Winter is upon us now and I have several months of wrenching/cleaning/upgrading ahead of me. It should be fun! I should probably start a build thread for the Granite as well. It started out as a Mega, but is now a "Sleeper" with 3S guts under the Mega body and has a couple of other things coming.
I do it all the time when shopping at Jennys, as soon I complete my order I remember something else I needed??

^^^ I prefer steel over anything else. Aluminum will also wear at some point . The anodizing first and then its down hill from there. Just me. I have 6s rigs with steel balls. Just the ends wear out several times changed before I change all including the balls. Try finding steel if you can. But hey you can give it try. But I never like alloy balls in general. I avoid them. They are costlier than than the stock. 🤷‍♂️

I heard those GPM rod ends crack easily. Brittle plastic. IDK personally.
Hopefully others will chime in on that who used them. I don't like GPM . Used a $lot$ of their Crawler stuff several years ago. Considered subpar stuff. No more. Zero Cust. support. I have a box of some new GPM parts that I never used. Just would not fit my Axial stuff.

Have you considered RPM nylon ends and sourcing Traxxas steel balls somehow. Stock links. Guys talk about that.

I heard those GPM rod ends crack easily. Brittle plastic. IDK personally.
Hopefully others will chime in on that who used them. I don't like GPM . Used a $lot$ of their Crawler stuff several years ago. Considered subpar stuff. No more. Zero Cust. support. I have a box of some new GPM parts that I never used. Just would not fit my Axial stuff.

Have you considered RPM nylon ends and sourcing Traxxas steel balls somehow. Stock links. Guys talk about that.
I got a dozen packs through my Senton with GPM rods and so far so good. Beating the #$%^ out of them too in the cold snowy conditions.

Back