Typhon Replacing transmitter and receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Flint

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
New to the hobby so this might sound dumb...

Thinking on getting the arrma typhon 3s from tower hobbies (only them and horizon ship to my country) and it comes with a really cheap spectrum transmitter and receiver. Can i buy a better one and replace it? I know ill need to replace the receiver as well but will the other electronics be compatible with any receiver from any company or am i stuck with spectrum?

Also any other things i need to know about the car? Known breakage? Planning to run mostly on dirt and there may be some small rocks and bumps cause its not on a track just some open spaces near my house.

When switching transmitters, is it plug and play? Bought the Tactic from JRC for my 6s but don't want to install it until I find some guidance.

Figured this was a good thread to use vs starting a new one.

i switched a few times now between cheap radios (im new too).

im pretty happy with the radiolink RC4GS.
its pretty cheap and has all the features i could want and has a built in gyro in the receiver.

im sure the more expensive ones are better but for my non competitive use, its great. better than the stock one as far as i know.

just buy it, open the receiver box, plug the new one in, mount it, and calibrate per manual.

ive also tried the dumboRC radio and didnt like it as much.

Any recommendation for a decent combo?
I have seen a few recommendations and all are based on your budget. I am certainly not an expert or deep in the pockets...I went with the Tactic TTX300 from Jennys RC for about $30. Comes with transmitter and receiver. Also, I understand it to be great on the lower end of spectrum.

Your choice for radios are endless, there are threads in here on the subject. It will boil down on your budget and features you want.

If you want simple and just works and you don’t want to do anything fancy, the Tactic as the lads have said is a good choice and unbeatable for the money imo

If you want simple and just works and you don’t want to do anything fancy, the Tactic as the lads have said is a good choice and unbeatable for the money imo
Does JRC still sell the Tactic? I have 6 I'm sitting on. I'm waiting to sell high ?

I have seen a few recommendations and all are based on your budget. I am certainly not an expert or deep in the pockets...I went with the Tactic TTX300 from Jennys RC for about $30. Comes with transmitter and receiver. Also, I understand it to be great on the lower end of spectrum.
TTX300 tends to be the best reviewed Budget RTR radio. I have several and can say that they are durable as well. I use them for 2+ mile trail crawling because it is cheap and does the trick. I save my better radios for my other faster rigs.

When switching transmitters, is it plug and play? Bought the Tactic from JRC for my 6s but don't want to install it until I find some guidance.

Figured this was a good thread to use vs starting a new one.
Since it will be your first time I have a tip. Take pictures of where the wires plug into and them you can reference that when installing the new one. (just incase something goes wrong)
Should be very easy to do but taking a pre-picture has saved me several times when doing electrical work.

-Liberty

Since it will be your first time I have a tip. Take pictures of where the wires plug into and them you can reference that when installing the new one. (just incase something goes wrong)
Should be very easy to do but taking a pre-picture has saved me several times when doing electrical work.

-Liberty
Yes that is a great idea. I actually plan on using my gopro to capture the swap. Just like putting things on video to watch later if needed. Thanks for reminder!

After replacing the receiver, it’s important to calibrate both the ESC (for throttle range) and the steering end points.

x 1,000,000

You can't just calibrate the ESC, you also need to set the steering end-points (or dual-rate if your radio doesn't have end points).

This might help --

Yep. Have a look at some of the Axial stuff.....not all but some of them use the Tactic
I'm biding my time....

tumblr_inline_mn28tnWmeN1qz4rgp.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back